Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    A reporter in Afghanistan right now could feed intelligence about troop positions to Osama bin Laden *LIVE* on CNN.
    Wasn't the Marine landing in Somalia shown live on TV? Granted the puzzle palace helped set that up but it's still a good example of the capabilities of the press now vs. 20 years ago.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    While "truth" in general is, no doubt, an elusive ideal in journalism, I believe the "truth" about War is the even more elusive. I also believe that our journalistic narratives of the world play a determining role in what the world will be and how we see it. The narrative that we've received since September 11, has been shaping the way we see ourselves and those around us, however, it is not the only conceivable narrative, nor the only possible one. I think that what is conceivable or possible will be determined by things other than journalism, yes, but it does depend on the ability and freedom of journalists to tell their stories.

In any case, the freedom of journalists must be preserved and practiced. That being said, to pander to a group of individuals who can, and most times will, place our country in a position of attack is completely ridiculous. With the speed of information available today, it's not unlikely, or even uncommon, that our enemies and those we're fighting to protect have access to the exact same information that the American public has access to. If journalists choose to place themselves in danger by being on the front lines, then I believe that's a danger they, and only they, should be responsible for.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Is there truely a freedom of speech? Seems some old folks in robes identified that there are restrictions to a free speech under a certain faded piece of paper . . .

Restrictions are sometimes necessary and required, to accomplish a needed objective. Sometimes we have to restrict those too stupid to self-regulate and self-restrict.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris View Post
    Is there truely a freedom of speech? Seems some old folks in robes identified that there are restrictions to a free speech under a certain faded piece of paper . . .

Restrictions are sometimes necessary and required, to accomplish a needed objective. Sometimes we have to restrict those too stupid to self-regulate and self-restrict.
    Solve the problem before it becomes one. Take the reporter by the collar, pull them in up close and personal and tell them... "If you jepordize my life, the lives of my coworkers or my ability to get back to my family in any way.....(insert personal threat here)
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Solve the problem before it becomes one. Take the reporter by the collar, pull them in up close and personal and tell them... "If you jepordize my life, the lives of my coworkers or my ability to get back to my family in any way.....(insert personal threat here)
    You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Thank you.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread Information