Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Secret Service: "Mr. President-elect, you'll have to surrender your Blackberry." Obama: "Nope"

Despite legal and security hurdles, president-elect Barack Obama says he has a plan to retain his beloved Blackberry once he moves into the White House next week. Interviewed by CNN Friday, Obama said the smartphone was among the tools that he would use to stay in touch with real Americans and avoid becoming trapped inside the presidential "bubble."
    "I think we're going to be able to hang on to one of these. My working assumption, and this is not new, is that anything I write on an email could end up being on CNN," he said.
    "So I make sure to think before I press 'send'," he said of his Blackberry, which was an ever-present fixture on his belt or in his hand on the campaign trail.
    Obama did not divulge just how he will overcome legal constraints, given the requirement of the post-Watergate Presidential Records Act of 1978 to keep a record of every White House communication.
    Nor did he say how he would persuade his Secret Service protectors that the Blackberry does not pose a security risk, for instance if it is hacked over the air.
    But Obama, who succeeds the unpopular George W. Bush on Tuesday, said the phone was a valuable part of a wider strategy to escape the White House fishbowl.
    "It's just one tool among a number of tools that I'm trying to use, to break out of the bubble, to make sure that people can still reach me," he said.
    "If I'm doing something stupid, somebody in Chicago can send me an email and say, 'What are you doing?'
    "I want to be able to have voices, other than the people who are immediately working for me, be able to reach out and send me a message about what's happening in America."
    The mobile device dilemma may have inadvertently been solved on Friday, as Obama's Blackberry tumbled from his belt as he got out of his limousine and onto his plane in Washington.
    A Secret Service agent hurried to pick up the pieces, gathering the Blackberry and battery off the frigid tarmac.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    I would suspect that Obama's still the boss and can carry anything he wants. The Secret Service works for him, not the other way around. I can see their concerns and they make sense, but if he's willing to take the risk.......
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Yes, Mr. Obama, I'm sure other nations' intelligence services will enjoy keeping tabs on you and reading your unsecured data, messages, and conversations. Last I check the Secret Service is there to protect you. EVEN FROM YOURSELF.

"If I'm doing something stupid, somebody in Chicago can send me an email and say, 'What are you doing?'

I wonder who it is pulling those strings?

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    ... like Tony Rezko.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt View Post
    I would suspect that Obama's still the boss and can carry anything he wants. The Secret Service works for him, not the other way around. I can see their concerns and they make sense, but if he's willing to take the risk.......
    I thought the issue was more about the Presidential Records Act anyway. All correspondence has to be retained as an "official document" to avoid anything like the Watergate Tapes happening.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Hope it bites him in the ass personally.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    "I want to be able to have voices, other than the people who are immediately working for me, be able to reach out and send me a message about what's happening in America."

Well, I would like to be one of those voices, and to do that I'll need your number.

What a jackass. Some internet wizard somewhere will get hacked into that shit.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    I thought the issue was more about the Presidential Records Act anyway. All correspondence has to be retained as an "official document" to avoid anything like the Watergate Tapes happening.
    Yep, I think it is. But I don't think it's the Secret Service's venue to worry about it. It might make for an interesting court case......

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The Secret Service is a law enforcement agency, and they do not "work for" the President.

If the rules dicate he needs to give up his phone, then he needs to give up his phone.

*Any* issue which affects the security of the POTUS is their venue, by statute.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    The Secret Service is a law enforcement agency, and they do not "work for" the President.

If the rules dicate he needs to give up his phone, then he needs to give up his phone.

*Any* issue which affects the security of the POTUS is their venue, by statute.
    The president is the head of the executive branch, which all LE is under. So they do work for him. And it's not rules, it's law he has to obey. Since this really hasn't come up before, it will probably have to be decided by the courts.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The president is the head of the executive branch, which all LE is under. So they do work for him. And it's not rules, it's law he has to obey. Since this really hasn't come up before, it will probably have to be decided by the courts.
    So you worked for your Mayor, eh? Or did you in fact work for a Chief of Police, who reported to the Mayor.

There is a difference, and it isn't a quibble.

This *has* come up before, and the previous President obeyed. In fact, he wrote a last few emails before he took office.

That this President would have to, or that you would suggest such an issue be decided in the courts is a collosal waste of taxpayer money and time.

The Secret Service, if needbe, can take the phone.

Obama didn't sign up here to do whatever the hell he pleases - he was hired by the people of the United States of America to uphold and defend the Constitution and laws of the land.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    So you worked for your Mayor, eh? Or did you in fact work for a Chief of Police, who reported to the Mayor.
    And the chief had to obey the mayor. The mayor could direct the police via the chief. It's merely a chain of command you're talking about. When I was in the Army, I worked for my company commander. Are you saying I wasn't answerable to the battalion commander? If I wasn't, it would have been a big surprise to a lot of people. If my battalion commander gave me an order and I refused, even if it contradicted my CC, I'd be up for a court martial in a heart beat. Same if a general contradicted both of them.

And I agree, it's not a quibble. Even if it has come up before, did someone order the Prez to give it up or did he do it on his own? I know of no precedent set yet.

If there is a law the POTUS can't carry a blackberry, he can't. If there is no law, he can. If the POTUS wants to go to Afghanistan, the Secret Service has no authority to tell him he can't, their job is provide the security. He can take their advice, but he's still in charge, as he should be as long as his actions are lawful.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Any word if they picked a dog yet? The labradoodle was ahead last I heard.

But seriously. Sure, he could use it to do something stupid. By that argument presidents should be banned from having cigars. Or pretzels, to be bi-partisan.

Is the concern that he's going to use it to sneak covert messages? Whispering in Rahm's ear is easier than typing an email with thumbs and leaves less of a record than a call. If hackers get in (or more likely Verizon employees) and find any emails which aren't documented it would his detractors who benefit the most. I'm sure some bright person over at the NSA could quickly disable the GPS if there's a concern about it being used to track his very public movements.

I guess I'm not seeing the problem, or rather I'm seeing the problem as this being yet another minor distraction which is taking attention away from large policy debates. For example, when the Rick Warren discussion lost momentum a gay Bishop was introduced to take his place. Who the distraction angers isn't important so long as it draws the public's attention. My question isn't whether he should or shouldn't have a smartphone, rather, what's going to take the blackberry's place as distraction? And do we have a First Dog yet?

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    I guess I'm not seeing the problem, or rather I'm seeing the problem as this being yet another minor distraction which is taking attention away from large policy debates.
    That's the way I look at. Republicans got upset at Clinton and pushed things in his personal life and ignored the fact he allowed the sale of satellite and missile technology to China. Looks like they'll make the same mistakes again the way it's going with Obama.

Like Clinton, Obama may be a lot of things, but stupid isn't one. I seriously doubt he'll communicate sensitive information on the damn blackberry. Why get wound up on that when he's about to take our national debt into oblivion and release a few hundred terrorists?

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    That's the way I look at. Republicans got upset at Clinton and pushed things in his personal life and ignored the fact he allowed the sale of satellite and missile technology to China. Looks like they'll make the same mistakes again the way it's going with Obama.

Like Clinton, Obama may be a lot of things, but stupid isn't one. I seriously doubt he'll communicate sensitive information on the damn blackberry. Why get wound up on that when he's about to take our national debt into oblivion and release a few hundred terrorists?
    I must spred some reputation around.

It's good to have you back RetDetSgt
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Sensitive information being hacked was the least of my concern - and probably the least of the Secret Service.

You'd have to do a bit more research to find out their opinion, but I have my sneaking suspicions.

Shrug.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    If he wants to keep a phone... let him, if he wants to drink a beer... let him, who really cares.

If he keeps confidential info off the damn thing there should not be a problem

Lets focus on whats going on with America and what plans are going to be put in place to get things turned around. But no, we are talking about the President and his hope to continue to carry a cell phone
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Lets all submit a FOI request to the White House for his Blackberry records. If the media can, so can we. Drive them crazy; or have HIS SS agents at your front door.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    No offense to the earlier posts, but I can walk and chew gum at the same time. I can follow policy decisions and other issues involving the POTUS. I can even do that while keeping an eye on my local crooks/politicians.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    No offense to the earlier posts, but I can walk and chew gum at the same time. I can follow policy decisions and other issues involving the POTUS. I can even do that while keeping an eye on my local crooks/politicians.
    Apologists for liberal politicians will always tell you that any attempt to critique something they are doing or not doing is "sidetracking" or "ignoring the important things."

We saw it with Clinton, and we will see it with Obama.

Nothing to see here, move along - let the man live a normal life.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information