Welcome to the APBWeb.
    countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Feel better about closing Gitmo?

I don't.

Ex-Guantanamo detainee becomes No. 2 for al-Qaeda in Yemen

Last Updated: Friday, January 23, 2009 | 12:08 PM ET

A Saudi man who was detained at the U.S. detention centre at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, for six years has now become the second-in-command for al-Qaeda's branch in Yemen, according to an online statement allegedly by the group.

The statement, which appeared on a website commonly used by militants purportedly from al-Qaeda, says Said al-Shihri has joined the branch known as "al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula" and is now the group's No. 2.

Al-Shihri, 35, ended up in U.S. custody after he was hospitalized for more than a month for injuries suffered during an air strike in December 2001. He was one of the first detainees sent to the controversial detention centre set up by the George W. Bush administration in response to the Sept. 11 attacks.

The detainee was released from the detention centre in November 2007 and transferred to Saudi Arabia, according to U.S. Department of Defence documents. After that, he apparently travelled to Yemen.

"He managed to leave the land of the two shrines (Saudi Arabia) and join his brothers in al-Qaeda," the statement said.

The Associated Press said Saudi authorities didn't immediately comment on the website statement.

An unnamed Yemeni counterterrorism official was cited by the Associated Press as saying Saudi Arabia had asked Yemen to return a number of wanted Saudi suspects who fled the kingdom last year for Yemen. A man with the same name was among those wanted, the official said.

Guantanamo military tribunal documents allege al-Shihri was an al-Qaeda travel facilitator and trained in urban warfare at Libyan Camp, located north of Afghanistan's capital of Kabul.

He allegedly guided extremists on how to enter Afghanistan and provided money to other fighters, the documents say. In the past, Al-Shihri has denied any links to terrorism.

With files from the Associated Press

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    If he was released in 2007, what's the difference now? He was still released (and under Bush's term). The prisoners that are at Gitmo now aren't just going to be cut loose.

I'm not voicing an opinion, just playing Devil's advocate here.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    The prisoners that are at Gitmo now aren't just going to be cut loose.
    Nope. They'll be on CONUS, likely at Ft. Leavenworth. And a whole new facility will have to be built. With more tax dollars. With more Union labor.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris View Post
    Nope. They'll be on CONUS, likely at Ft. Leavenworth. And a whole new facility will have to be built. With more tax dollars. With more Union labor.
    And when they are found not guilty or complete their sentence, they will be HERE.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    If he was released in 2007, what's the difference now? He was still released (and under Bush's term).
    I see a huge difference between one release in 2007, and somewhere around 270 releases in 2009.

The prisoners that are at Gitmo now aren't just going to be cut loose.
    That is your opinion, and is not supported by fact.

Prisoners detained on U.S. soil are entitled to due process of law under the Constitution, unlike the P.O.W.'s which they truly are, and can legitimately be classified as when detained elsewhere. Once on U.S. soil, they will either be prosecuted expediently, or they must be summarily released.

I'm not voicing an opinion, just playing Devil's advocate here.
    Duly noted.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Thread Information