Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Did you (or would you) let your children watch Obama's inauguration?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 64.29%
  • No

5 35.71%
    Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Children and the inauguration

The thread about the Pledge of Allegiance brought this to mind. Over the last couple of weeks I've read of and spoken to people who not only didn't want their children to watch the inauguration in school, they also complained to the schools about the broadcasts in the classroom and/or special assemblies. I don't have children, but every inauguration becomes a part of our country's history and if I did have a child old enough to understand what was going on I'd want that child to watch it, even though it would probably mean (with this particular inauguration) discussing with that child why I didn't think this person was the best choice for President.

Did you (or would you have) let your children watch the inauguration if the President-elect was not your choice of candidate? If your children watched it in school, did you mind? Why or why not?

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I did watch it with my five year old who was very interested.

Although I didn't vote for him, nor am I sold on him being the end all, be all, it is/was part of history. Its just a matter of what kind of history it is.

I'll never push any of my beliefs on my kids, but I'll facilitate them learning and forming educated opinions on their own.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    It's an historical event, whether I like his politics or not. I didn't have a great problem with schools showing it, but I do have a problem with them talking about the man himself as though it was the 2nd coming of Christ.

They should put it in prospective and note that all Presidents go into office with high ideas, but only history will judge whether he's going to be a boom or bust for the country. The harsh reality of national and world events often force presidents to change course - Bush started out being the "Education President", but because of 9/11, he left office being branded a war monger.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    A historical event at any angle. Didn't have to but would have encouraged all of mine to watch.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Terminator is offline BANNED
    I watched it. I could careless if someone watches it, kid or not. It's an inauguration. Woohoo.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My six year old watched, and although I explained to him the American people had elected a moron, it was still something to be proud of to watch as we peacefully transferred power.

I used it as a tool to explain to him why we are exceptional among the world.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    My six year old watched, and although I explained to him the American people had elected a moron, it was still something to be proud of to watch as we peacefully transferred power.

Good job, Mac. +1 if I had a young one.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    My son's school was watching.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge113 View Post
    I'll never push any of my beliefs on my kids, but I'll facilitate them learning and forming educated opinions on their own.
    Originally Posted by maclean

+1 to you two!
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post

That would be my thinking as well.

I've been very surprised at the fact that some parents have pulled their children out of schools because the schools broadcasted the inauguration in the classroom.

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    I don't let my son watch any TV (he's almost 2), so no. Though, had he been old enough to understand, I definitely would have let him and explained that Obama was an asshat, but that it was historical nonetheless.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I think it is a waste of school time and resources. They're supposed to be learning how to read and write etc. If they turned it on during the swearing in ceremony and then returned to school work I have no problem, that's historically significant. The places that had Obama parties all day with the Inauguration on is what I have a problem with.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    I think it is a waste of school time and resources. They're supposed to be learning how to read and write etc. If they turned it on during the swearing in ceremony and then returned to school work I have no problem, that's historically significant. The places that had Obama parties all day with the Inauguration on is what I have a problem with.
    I disagree about the first part (the Inauguration itself is part of Government 101), but as for covering all the Inaugural balls and rallies, that is rediculous if they were forced to watch that crap.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    I disagree about the first part (the Inauguration itself is part of Government 101), but as for covering all the Inaugural balls and rallies, that is rediculous if they were forced to watch that crap.
    But it's not part of English class, math class, science class etc...

And we all know the kids didn't get to blow an entire day with "Bush" parties during his inaugurations. It's indoctrination, not education.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    I also wouldn't have a problem if they did it for EVERY inauguration.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Thread Information