Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

US Senator wants hearings on Fairness Doctrine

I say bring it on if we can apply it to CBS, ABC, NBC, CNN and MSNBC but it's really about making sure the libs are the only ones with a voice isn't it? Tolerance is really only for those who think the same as you...

Make sure you check out the site, they have the audio of this now...

Politico Article
    Sen. Stabenow wants hearings on radio 'accountability'; talks fairness doctrine

This morning, radio host Bill Press brought up the recent closing of liberal station Obama 1260 when speaking with Michigan Sen. Debbie Stabenow, and talked about whether there needs to be a balance to right-wing talk on the radio dial.
    BILL PRESS: Yeah, I mean, look: They have a right to say that. Theyíve got a right to express that. But, they should not be the only voices heard. So, is it time to bring back the Fairness Doctrine?

SENATOR DEBBIE STABENOW (D-MI): I think itís absolutely time to pass a standard. Now, whether itís called the Fairness Standard, whether itís called something else ó I absolutely think itís time to be bringing accountability to the airwaves. I mean, our new president has talked rightly about accountability and transparency. You know, that we all have to step up and be responsible. And, I think in this case, there needs to be some accountability and standards put in place.

BILL PRESS: Can we count on you to push for some hearings in the United States Senate this year, to bring these owners in and hold them accountable?

SENATOR DEBBIE STABENOW (D-MI): I have already had some discussions with colleagues and, you know, I feel like thatís gonna happen. Yep.
    Although Obama has been publicly opposed to reinstating the fairness doctrine, conservative radio has talked nonstop about the fear of it returning (or perhaps something like it with another name) while there's a Democrat in the White House and a Democratic majority in Congress.
    UPDATE: A commenter points out that Stabenow is married to Tom Athans, a liberal talk radio executive.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I've been thinking that they would push for it also
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

ďA fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.Ē Sigmund Freud

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Yep, translated: Let's stamp out free speech that disagrees with our stance. Liberals look at the Bill of Rights as Bill of Convenience for them.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Stamp out my left foot. This will bring more people to talk radio. If 10 percent of these new listeners begin to pay attention to the politics of this nation that will be a win. I dare say a win for conservatism. When the two are put side beside (liberalism and conservatism) in a real time discussion of ideas conservatism wins every time. Usually because most liberals have problems in two areas (fact and logic).

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Stamp out my left foot. This will bring more people to talk radio. If 10 percent of these new listeners begin to pay attention to the politics of this nation that will be a win. I dare say a win for conservatism. When the two are put side beside (liberalism and conservatism) in a real time discussion of ideas conservatism wins every time. Usually because most liberals have problems in two areas (fact and logic).
    Naw, I bet the problem will be the radio stations will drop conservative talk if they have to provide unprofitable liberal talk. Major air time is expensive and if no one is listening to liberal, they won't be able to get sponsors willing to pay for it. It would be more profitable to drop political talk radio all together and go to different formats, I strongly suspect.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It will not be profitable for the stations to pay the hosts of programs that they have contracts with to do nothing and still get paid for it. With syndication in talk radio this would effect a lot of stations.

BRING IT ON - Nealz Nuze on boortz.com

AND DON'T GIVE ME THIS "PUBLIC'S AIRWAVES" NONSENSE - Nealz Nuze on boortz.com

AND DON'T GIVE ME THIS "PUBLIC'S AIRWAVES" NONSENSE

By Neal Boortz @ February 6, 2009 7:49 AM Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)

Of all liberal arguments for government control, this is perhaps one of the easiest to destroy.
    Since the era of mass communications despots have realized that one of the keys to absolute power was control of the means of communication. Our founding fathers didn't do today's politicians any favors with the First Amendment. There is really nothing the power-hungry political class can do about newspapers because of that troublesome little guarantee of "freedom of the press." Clearly our framers intended for a prohibition of any control over the means of communication. Back then there were only two means of communication .. writing and the spoken word. Both were covered in the First Amendment.
    Later came broadcasting .. and with broadcasting came the realization that a new means of mass communication was coming; a means of mass communication not specifically referenced in the Constitution. So .. time to exert some control. But wait! You need an excuse! Well, let's try this. We'll develop this concept of "the public's airwaves" and use that concept to legitimize government control.
    Public's airwaves? What does that mean? Just what is it the public owns here? Does the public own the electromagnetic waves that travel through space at close to the speed of sound? Why? Did the public pay to produce those electromagnetic waves? Find me the budget item for "procurement and propagation of electromagnetic waves" in any appropriations bill. Light is also an electromagnetic wave, and light also comes to us through the airways. Where's the government department that controls light? When you speak you produce sound waves that travel through the public's airwaves. Where's the government department that regulates your conversation? Oh, wait .. that First Amendment problem again. But there are universities with speech codes ... so there's hope.
    Politicians like to use the excuse of "scarcity" to regulate broadcast frequencies. Scarcity? In Atlanta there is one newspaper, but 30 radio stations. The broadcast spectrum could handle dozens more. Where's the scarcity? If there's a scarcity it's in newspapers. Maybe that's where the regulations ought to go .. .but, again, there's that pesky First Amendment.
    While it's hard to make any sensible excuse for this "public's airwaves" nonsense, our roads and highways are another matter. Clearly the roads and highways are paid for by the people .. by all of us. Clearly a case can be made for public ownership of the roads and highways. And just guess how your newspaper gets to you every day. That's right, over the public's roads and highways. Same for the U.S. Mail, magazines ... pretty much everything you have in your home. Everything, that is, except for the sounds and pictures that come over your radios and televisions.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    While this is being debated people will tune into talk radio to see what the hubbub is all about. This will increase the conservative base, or at least sympathy for the broadcasters when the government shuts them down.

What's next with the fairness doctrine? Satellite Radio and podcasting? Because that's where Rush and Hannity et al will go if they are kicked off the air.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    It's simple why liberal radio doesn't work: Because you need logic to strengthen your points. When there is absence of logic, people see it for what BS it is and go to a Conservative talk radio show.

If people don't want to hear your BS, it's not the government's job to make them. But good luck explaining that to these idiots. These are the same jerkoffs who picked up their ball and went home as a child because the other team was winning.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Thread Information