Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Terminator is offline BANNED

White House: DEA Raids in Medical Marijuana States Will Stop

No sooner was President Obama sworn in than the US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) decided to provoke him.
    Two days after the January 20 inauguration - before the Senate had confirmed the nomination of Attorney General Eric Holder - the DEA raided a medical marijuana dispensary in South Lake Tahoe, California, one of the states that has made such facilities legal. This, with full knowledge that as a presidential candidate Obama had pledged to discontinue such raids...

Yesterday, the DEA carried out multiple raids at medical marijuana clinics in the Los Angeles area. According to MSNBC:
    A Los Angeles police spokesperson said the department, which is normally notified of such operations, got no advance warning from DEA.
    In other words, the DEA was so worried that the LAPD might alert the White House of its plans beforehand and so it bypassed the normal procedure there.
    This has of course led to a chorus of Chicken Little-ing from some corners of drug policy reform that Obama and/or Holder never intended to keep Obama's campaign promise to end the raids in states that permit medical marijuana clinics for patients with cancer, glaucoma, AIDS and other ailments treated by the plant.
    Today, the White House made it clear to the Reuters news agency that the DEA is acting without its blessing:
    White House spokesman Nick Shapiro on Wednesday reiterated Obama's stance that "federal resources should not be used to circumvent state laws."
    "And as he continues to appoint senior leadership to fill out the ranks of the federal government, he expects them to review their policies with that in mind," Shapiro said.
    So, everybody chill. Rome wasn't destroyed in a day. Although there are some economic libertarians, Ron Paul enthusiasts, and beautiful losers in parts of the drug policy reform milieu that apparently would rather see the Obama administration break its promises - so as to be able to crow that nothing ever changes and to be able to continue their own daily poutrage - the vast majority of us absolutely want the raids to end and understand it will take not a lot, but yes a little bit, of time to clear the bureaucracy of insubordinates and steer the ship of Justice back on track.
    Meanwhile, if patience is that hard, there's probably a medicine somewhere that can help.

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Legalize marijuana and it no longer becomes an issue.

LEAP - Law Enforcement Against Prohibition - Cops Say Legalize Drugs

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    Rather than go on a rant, I'll just sum it up in one sentence: Legalization will NOT solve the problem.
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Of course not. Alcohol is an excellent example of that.

But how many gang or turf wars do you see over alcohol in the US in comparison?

The DEA needs this war to stay as an agency. The same as F Troop needs gun laws to stay alive.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    While I really don't feel like another drug debate- I think most of us (most of us) can agree marijuana should be legalized. We've seen time and again how alcohol is way more dangerous of a drug. If Obama does one good thing as President, let it be this.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Jeezuz... here we go again.

Nope, not doing it...

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Alcohol has negatives, Pot has negatives, Both have positives as well (Alcohol helps ugly people have sex, Pot helps people with medical issues)

Hell, the social stigma is going away, I really dont like the idea that its a gate way drug, because Alcohol can be a gate way drug.

I dont know, So I guess if we have more people sitting on their couch eating cheetos while having the giggles... well... oh well.

Hell Tax the crap out of it and put some money back into econ
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Jeezuz... here we go again.

Nope, not doing it...

How was what I posted not on topic?
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoestring View Post
    Alcohol has negatives, Pot has negatives, Both have positives as well (Alcohol helps ugly people have sex, Pot helps people with medical issues)
    I guess which of those positives is more indispensable depends on one's priorities!

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    How was what I posted not on topic?
    Quote: (also posted by Rhino):
    While I really don't feel like another drug debate..
    Quote: countybear:
    Nope, not doing it...
    Quote: (also posted by Rhino):
    I think most of us (most of us) can agree marijuana should be legalized.
    I think you should quantify who you refer to as "us", then prove (or at least support) your contention. I also think that should be done in a separate thread, or else dig up and resurrect the old debate threads on this if you are so inclined. If you don't feel like another drug legalization debate, then don't make unsubstantiated claims that incite debate. You are not 'most' of us, you are one of us, that is, if you are referring to law enforcement officers...

Quote: Originally posted by Morris:
    The DEA needs this war to stay as an agency. The same as F Troop needs gun laws to stay alive.
    Federal acceptance of medically prescribed cannabis is no threat to the DEA whatsoever, I assure you. Just as loosening gun laws would not threaten the ATF, nor would a flat or "fair" tax ever completely abolish the IRS.

If you are referring to legalization of ALL currently 'controlled' substances, then perhaps the DEA would be reduced to importation and revenue oversight.

Now then, to the topic:

Notice how completely editorialized this 'news' story is. It looks like it was authored by a "High Times" stringer:

No sooner was President Obama sworn in than the US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) decided to provoke him...
    Do you think this reporter was in a room with the administration of the DEA, and heard them say "Screw Obama, we're going in"? I seriously doubt it.

Anyone who has worked with feds before well knows that operations like this are usually months in the planning stages. Giving the nod to going ahead with them might be construed as thumbing of the nose to the new president, perhaps, but a raid being conducted with the specific intent to piss off the new boss is highly unlikely.

In other words, the DEA was so worried that the LAPD might alert the White House of its plans beforehand and so it bypassed the normal procedure there.
    I love when a reporter says, "In other words...". What he is actually saying is: "In MY OPINION..."

the vast majority of us absolutely want the raids to end...
    Term, did you get this "story" from the Bob Marley fanclub newsletter?

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Term, did you get this "story" from the Bob Marley fanclub newsletter?

I got the article from the same place I get all of my news, Drew Curtis' FARK.com. The story has been posted on the Daily Kos, and originated from www.narcosphere.narconews.com.

Verified LEO
    Real weak rebuttal, CB. I was disappointed.

However, I will start a new thread in the Rhino section.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Real weak rebuttal, CB. I was disappointed.
    I'm saving myself for marriage.

However, I will start a new thread in the Rhino section.
    Good call.

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I'm just an old fu**er and worked drugs for 11 1/2 years. Legalization is a cop out and bulls**t. I have seen to much s**t caused by MJ. IMFO, FWEIW
    "A Knights Oath
    A Knight is sworn to valor; His Heart only knows virtue; His Blade defends the helpless; His Might upholds the weak; His Words speak only the truth; His Wrath undoes the wicked"

Aspire to Inspire

Verified LEO
    While I certainly respect your opinion, Narco, there are Former Narcs who did UC work for the better part of 3 decades. They saw the War on Drugs as the failing policy it is and founded Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP). In my opinion the only copout is the lack of willingness to realize what we are doing now isn't working and will never work.

I look forward to hearing your points in the thread I started in the Rhino section.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Smoke it up you fucking hippies. Without any balls you'll weed yourselves out in no time.

Marijuana May Raise Testicular Cancer Risk - Lifestyle - Javno

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Sounds like Darwinism to me.

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    While I really don't feel like another drug debate- I think most of us (most of us) can agree marijuana should be legalized.
    you crack me up...
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Dustoff262 is offline Retirement date: December 29, 2019
    Verified LEO
    I live in NYC. Marijuana is the gateway to other, more potent drugs. When Marijuana doesnt give you the high you need, you crave for more. Its not about whether it should be legalized.. or whether the war on drugs is a failure. Its about the addiction. Some can use it recreationally and walk away. Alot like alcohol, but from the stand point of watching my own family members like uncles and cousins waste away and become nothing more than skells, it all started with taking a tote from a friend who told them it wasnt addictive. If you want your kids to succeed in life... preach to them daily to stay away from that first "hit".

In the beginning of the last century, it was widely believed that opium and cocaine were safe to use recreationally. It destroyed lives, whole families. I have seen this continue first hand. We execute warrants in the PJs and see the destruction. Addiction is passed down genetically. People will still kill each other over drugs or the need for drugs whether its legalized or not. I dont think the United States of America should be in the narco business. As it is, our country is on the verge of collapse, and I cant believe this thread or President.

I hope this was all a joke.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -- George Orwell

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    If alcohol were suddenly discovered today, it would be a Schedule II controlled substance. Don't kid yourself, alcohol is the gateway drug for most people.

The only time marijuana worries me is when kids start using it. They seem to drop out of life. A lot of adults can seem to use it like alcohol, just to relax, etc. But teenagers just become inert.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information