Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Homeless woman from Obama’s town hall given a place to live by Republican

One of the most moving moments at President Obama’s town hall event in Ft. Myers, FL, yesterday was when Henrietta Hughes — a petite, elderly, African-American woman living out of her car — asked Obama for help. “I have an urgent need,” Hughes said. “We need something more than the vehicle and parks to go to. We need our own kitchen and our own bathroom, please help.” Obama then walked over and hugged her, saying that he was “going to do everything we can.”

Watch the exchange:

Hughes’s plea has been answered. Chene Thompson, the wife of State Rep. Nick Thompson (R), has offered her former residence to Hughes. “Basically, I offered Ms. Hughes and her son the opportunity to stay in my home rent free, for as long as they need to,” said Thompson. “I’m not a millionaire, I’m not rich, but this is what I can do for someone if they need it.”

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Give her some of your damn money Obama. Notice he said that he was going to do everything we can do. Where is it mentioned in the Constitution that tax money was to be used as charity money?

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Where is it mentioned in the Constitution that tax money was to be used as charity money?
    By the end of Obama's term, I'm sure it will be scribbled at the end somewhere.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Where is it mentioned in the Constitution that tax money was to be used as charity money?
    Or that the Government is a massive insurance company? That seems, to me, to be the overriding vision of many.

I'm glad someone stepped up and offered to help Ms Hughes. Not because she had a greater need, not because it saved the taxpayers some money, but because people really do care about each other. That's lost on those many who think charity is something that must be enforced. I pity people with such a grim outlook.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Promises from a Democrat, delivery by a Republican...

how appropriate.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Promises from a Democrat, delivery by a Republican...

how appropriate.
    Right, who the hell do you think is/was/will pay taxes??? REPUBLICANS, thats who. If you don't pay taxes, you get jobs in the Obama administration. Who doesn't Obama and Ted Kennedy open their homes to the homeless. They are never there.

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    I am infuriated at all of this media orgy celebrating the Obamessiah. Don't get me wrong, I believe whole-heartedly in compassion and helping others. Yet more and more, it seems that people are here to live the American Scheme instead of the American Dream. I grew up in poverty and worked like hell (and continue to do so) to achieve the life I have now. Just when I think the next part of my dream is within reach, I see on the news that the legislators in my temporary state of Calfornia may have reached a budget that will increase sales tax, add at least $0.12 per gallon of gasoline, double my vehicle registration, and increase my state income tax by 2.5%. Meanwhile, my city is laying off police officers and those of us who remain face the potential loss of benefits and perhaps a cut in pay. Several nearby cities are laying off police officers, including the city of San Bernardino (often recognized by their extremely high murder rate) which is slated to lay off 29 officers this month.

President Obama, what are you going to to for people like me? We'd like to keep our own bathrooms and kitchens that we worked hard for. We'd like to keep the abilty to do for others, as many of us have found our calling to public safety carries over into other compassionate acts through our daily lives. Oh wait... I know. Rather than honor and celebrate our sacrifices and success, you'll continue to take from us because somehow, in the twisted scheme of things, we don't deserve to have as much as we've achieved.
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by adroitcuffs View Post
    I am infuriated at all of this media orgy celebrating the Obamessiah. Don't get me wrong, I believe whole-heartedly in compassion and helping others. Yet more and more, it seems that people are here to live the American Scheme instead of the American Dream. I grew up in poverty and worked like hell (and continue to do so) to achieve the life I have now. Just when I think the next part of my dream is within reach, I see on the news that the legislators in my temporary state of Calfornia may have reached a budget that will increase sales tax, add at least $0.12 per gallon of gasoline, double my vehicle registration, and increase my state income tax by 2.5%. Meanwhile, my city is laying off police officers and those of us who remain face the potential loss of benefits and perhaps a cut in pay. Several nearby cities are laying off police officers, including the city of San Bernardino (often recognized by their extremely high murder rate) which is slated to lay off 29 officers this month.

President Obama, what are you going to to for people like me? We'd like to keep our own bathrooms and kitchens that we worked hard for. We'd like to keep the abilty to do for others, as many of us have found our calling to public safety carries over into other compassionate acts through our daily lives. Oh wait... I know. Rather than honor and celebrate our sacrifices and success, you'll continue to take from us because somehow, in the twisted scheme of things, we don't deserve to have as much as we've achieved.
    I have to agree with you. The one time I heard any mention of spending cuts it was from Republicans and they basically got locked out after that. The dems and Arnold we only talking about how much to raise taxes.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    Everytime I hear the word "obama" or "change" I am immediately overtaken by the urge to projectile vomit.

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Promises are words. Words require credibility to be believable. Promises are easy to break. Promises are cheap, they require little effort or "investment" of self or wealth. The promise maker expects recognition.

Delivery is completion of the promise. It is something you can touch, feel, see. The need was identified and fulfilled. The unseflish person doesn't care who made the promise, the act of giving stands alone.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

swaggon is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by adroitcuffs View Post

BOOM!

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    You know, it really amazes me that every little chance that someone has to bounce something off Obama, they do it.
    Damn, give the guy credit for going into a position that is a total fucking disaster.

Im sick and tired, of hearing about how dems did this, reps did this. who cares.
    The Problem is here, and it isnt going away anytime soon.

Lets bash the new President for trying to fix the economy. Lets bash the President for trying to help out a homeless old woman, yeah, thats the mentality to have for christ sake. What if it were you, that was the one on that stage asking for help? Im sure it isnt anything anyone would want to go through, i certainly never want to experience that lifestyle. Im thankful, i have 2 jobs, that make ends meet, and give me extra money to spend if i want.

There are people out there, that do know the system, and abuse it every day, however, there are also people that Really need the system, and cant get nothing.

If everybody, would just quit bitching about what the President did, didnt do, or whatever, maybe everything would start to look better for once.

We all know who the last president was, the mess that we are currently in, ect..
    Im not blaming a particular party for the mess. If both sides worked together, maybe we wouldn't be in the mess we are in.

Of course, we are going to have the Political Genious's on here rebut what i just said, i really dont care. Im putting in my 2 cents on what i thing/ believe is right here.

Ok, thanks, im done now. carry on!
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked,” Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

swaggon is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Max, I agree with the pointless bickering part, but anytime you take from the "will works" and give to the "cant works" you will always have the "dont wanna works" holding out the hand. The system is wrong and instead of real welfare reform we just loosen the purse strings a little. Not enough where recipients can save money or send themselves through trade school or any of that permanent shit, but just enough to deepen the addiction to the party that gave them a little more. Jobs are here I live in South Florida and I witness illegal workers working in the field and a whole city full of welfare sitting on the bus stop benches drinking beer at all hours of the DAY not working. Jobs are here but not one that allows sitting on ones ass and collecting the check.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Wanna bet the good Samaritan is going to regret giving her a place to live? Wait until she tries to get her and her grown son's asses out of there.

UPDATE: Henrietta Hughes says she's not milking the system

By Nick Spinetto, WINK News

Story Created: Feb 12, 2009 at 5:10 PM EST
    Story Updated: Feb 13, 2009 at 5:39 PM EST

SOUTHWEST FLORIDA - A woman making national headlines after a tearful moment with President Obama has a new home.

Thursday morning, Chene Thompson handed Henrietta Hughes the keys to her home in Hendry County. Thompson is the wife of State Representative Nick Thompson (R-District 73). Hughes and her son will live at the home rent free.

At President Obama's town hall meeting in Fort Myers on Tuesday, Henrietta Hughes stood up and told the President she has been homeless since 2003 and can't find a job.

She also says she's reach a dead end with government assistance and none of the local charity agencies will help.

However, a local organization is coming forward saying Hughes isn't being honest about how much help she's had in the past.

The director of We Care Outreach Ministry, Tanya Johnson, says just last month she offered Henrietta Hughes permanent housing and a place to stay free for three months, but Hughes refused.

"We would have allowed her to stay for the first 90 days, no income. You know free," said Tanya Johnson.

We Care Outreach Ministry is a faith based organization in Fort Myers.

Johnson says she also gave Henrietta and her son Corey, money, food and offered Corey job training courses, but it was refused.

"We have extended a lot of her services to her," Johnson said.

But Henrietta Hughes says these services weren't free and the apartment in East Fort Myers came with a price tag.

Hughes says Tanya Johnson wanted $400 a month immediately.

The disability check Hughes gets is a little more than $800 a month.

Hughes owes money on a loan, has her car insurance payment, a monthly storage bill and says she couldn't afford the rent.

"Where was I going to get $400 a month to give her if I got these expenses," Hughes told WINK News.

WINK News Reporter Nick Spinetto went back to talk to Tanya Johnson.
    She stands by her story.

Henrietta Hughes says she's never taken advantage of the system and doesn't choose to be homeless. Like other programs she's tried to get help from,she says We Care couldn't meet her needs.

State Representative Nick Thompson and his wife Chene are standing by the Henrietta and her son, Corey. They spoke out against the allegations Henrietta is milking the system, even when confronted with the fact WINK News found out the Hughes' sold property, back in 2005. This is after Henrietta and her son lost thier home in 2003 and started living in their car. Henrietta and her son sold the land for $47,000 dollars. But Chene Thompson says that was all the money they had for several years and it's gone.

"They have nothing today. They need help today. They didn't need help in 2005. They need help today. So whether they had $47,000 or $147,000 in 2005, it doesn't matter. They don't have any money today," she said.

The Thompson's say they are sad Henrietta has to defend herself against these allegations and they will continue to help her. They also hope it doesn't deter other people from helping

http://www.winknews.com/news/local/39518252.html
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Well, if they would have given her a house, she probably would just lose it after mortgaging it to the kazoo and not being able to make the payments.

Want to get sick check out her website, read some of the comments and get even sicker:

Henrietta Hughes.com

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    I'm going to the next Obama speech, putting on a SOB bullshit story, and getting my mortgage paid off.

If the leeches of society do it and get away with it, im doing it to. Tired of getting the shaft as a middle class worker.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by k-9max View Post
    You know, it really amazes me that every little chance that someone has to bounce something off Obama, they do it.
    Damn, give the guy credit for going into a position that is a total fucking disaster.

Im sick and tired, of hearing about how dems did this, reps did this. who cares.

Lets bash the new President for trying to fix the economy. Lets bash the President for trying to help out a homeless old woman, yeah, thats the mentality to have for christ sake. What if it were you, that was the one on that stage asking for help? Im sure it isnt anything anyone would want to go through, i certainly never want to experience that lifestyle. Im thankful, i have 2 jobs, that make ends meet, and give me extra money to spend if i want.

There are people out there, that do know the system, and abuse it every day, however, there are also people that Really need the system, and cant get nothing.

If everybody, would just quit bitching about what the President did, didnt do, or whatever, maybe everything would start to look better for once.

We all know who the last president was, the mess that we are currently in, ect..
    Im not blaming a particular party for the mess. If both sides worked together, maybe we wouldn't be in the mess we are in.

Of course, we are going to have the Political Genious's on here rebut what i just said, i really dont care. Im putting in my 2 cents on what i thing/ believe is right here.

Ok, thanks, im done now. carry on!
    I think I understand your point. Applause to those who have stood up and at least tried to tackle the problem. I have a few issues with what has happened so far though. An ambitious proposal to say the least which will help many I'm sure. Even here in Lousiaiana where we aren't hurting near as bad as other places. It just seems, from what I know, that the bill is more of a spending program than a stimilus bill. I am scared to death that my children and their children will suffer such an increased tax burden to pay for it all when the bill comes due. I also don't care for the bill being passed without allowing other legislators and the public to be aware of what was being passed prior to the passing.
    It just seems to me that there has been such a power struggle between the two parties for such a long time that a bipartisan agreement will never come to be. I just cannot wrap my mind around why both parties have to be the big deal. No one person or party can be right or have the best ideas all the time. That is an impossibility. This country will never be what it could be until they start working TOGETHER. Unfortunately I don't think that will ever happen. Again though, I do see your point.

Actually to date what bothers me most is that a lot of people blame just Obama for this just as a lot of people blamed just Bush for Republican screw ups. No one person is to blame for such a disaster. Both groups have made incredibly stupid moves that have gotten us where we are today and I believe it will continue. Oh well, all we can do is wait it out now.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Agreed RetDetSgt ^^^ same story different day. In 1990 my wife and I lived in a Airstream TRAVEL trailer with 3 kids. (ever been in one of those?) Didn't have a pot to p!ss in or a window to throw it out of. Our car was a POS. You had to stop check the gas and fill it up with oil. I was the only one working at the time and I made it to work every damn day rain, shine, sick or well. There are sob stories all over the place.
    I'd like to see the welfare system operate in a manner that gave you an incentive to help yourself. Like say, I don't know, you have a specific period of time to make yourself self sufficient or you might be hanging your shingle in a Sears cardboard box.

Ok that may be a little harsh but you get the idea.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    In 1990 my wife and I lived in a Airstream TRAVEL trailer with 3 kids. (ever been in one of those?) Didn't have a pot to p!ss in or a window to throw it out of. Our car was a POS. You had to stop check the gas and fill it up with oil. I was the only one working at the time and I made it to work every damn day rain, shine, sick or well. There are sob stories all over the place.
    I'd like to see the welfare system operate in a manner that gave you an incentive to help yourself. Like say, I don't know, you have a specific period of time to make yourself self sufficient or you might be hanging your shingle in a Sears cardboard box.

Ok that may be a little harsh but you get the idea.
    That's not the least bit harsh. That's reality.

I came from a family where my generation was the first to have any members who graduated from high school. Hell, half my cousins are either in prison or have served time in federal or Texas state prisons. My brother and I made choices to get out and make something of ourselves. I'm a retired cop (family reunions are a kick!) and he retired from the Army as a Lt. Col.

This woman isn't helpless and her grown son who moved in with her doesn't appear helpless either. I suspect he's not handicapped in any way because the media didn't mention it and you know they would have. And they wouldn't say a word if he was healthy and able to work.

In the 70's when I was working in our ghetto and later in our poor white trash neighborhoods, there were people who knew no other way of life than welfare. They made plenty to get by on, supplemented with a little low level theft now and then. And most of you guys missed "Aid to Dependent Children". That was a joke, women could get money for each kid they had as long as the father didn't live in the home. The more kids, the more government bucks. That was helpful....

This next four years is going to be one hell of a downward ride, I'm afraid because a lot of this bullshit is going to be reinstated.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by k-9max View Post

Max, you have a point - BUT...

In this country, when a man so polarizing wins the Presidency, arguably only because his predecessor was painted as a disaster by the media for eight years...

It is our job to watch him and make sure he does not piss away the public good.

I will not be the one who tolerates the deep voice saying "nothing to see here, move along..."

"....ignore the man behind the curtain..."

Sorry Max - when he fucks up I'll call him on it.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 02-16-09, 06:34 PM

Thread Information