Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Iowa Trooper Suspended for Obama Email

Off duty. On your own time and computer equipment. Suspended for forwarding a funny email. I find this a bit chilling actually.

Iowa Trooper Suspended For Obama E-Mail

OMAHA, Neb. -- An Iowa State trooper who was investigated after it was shown that he forwarded an e-mail showing mug shots of people wearing Obama t-shirts has been suspended for 30 days.

Sgt. Rodney Hicok was at home and off-duty when he forwarded the e-mails, said an official with the Iowa Department of Public Safety Bureau and Professional Standards.

The e-mail made disparaging remarks about 15 people in the photos and referred to Obama as having "quite a fan base."

Hicok was not making a racial statement, the official said, but, rather, a political statement.

In a statement, Hicok said, "I am deeply sorry for my actions … I apologize to anyone this e-mail may have offended, as well as my family, citizens in my community and Iowa taxpayers."

Hicok ended his statement by saying he guaranteed "nothing like this will ever happen again."

"I regret what happened and wish I could take it back," Hicok said in the statement.

He violated the department's policy and his permanent file will reflect the suspension, the official said.

The 27-year veteran, who has no prior offense on his record, will also attend DPS training on policies and procedures.
    I liked these comments, this dude's fired up!

Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ridiculous! Before I clicked the link I knew it had to be from The Smoking Gun. Hell, I even forwarded the same link. Maybe the Iowa State Patrol would like to call my chief. I'd welcome it, but not before they kissed my ass.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Was this his own email account or stuff that was forwarded from a work account?
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

213th is offline Solipsist
    I can't believe the officer apologized. I sure as hell wouldn't.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    Three years from retirement, with a mortgage and kids to put through college?

I bet you would, even if it wasn't right.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post

+1

That's ridiculous

I'm shocked he apologized.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    Did it come from his take-home computer maybe?? Or perhaps he used his work email addy? Regardless of wrong or right (I think it's absolutely ridiculous) there are strict things we can and cannot do with our work equipment and emails as anything sent out is public record and always subject to scrutiny.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Doesn't make sense unless he used a government account or computer... Rather than apologize, I'd be talking to the meanest, most unethical lawyer I could find. If he did use a government acct or computer, he should have known better and is screwed.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    BULLSHIT,

I can see why he retracted but come on, you should see all the shit e-mails that get forwarded these days and this is considered bad.

Hell, I got ones of peoples heads being splattered in Irag, I have ones of two women and a cup doing something really bad..... WTF
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

vicat777 is offline Gang Detective/SWAT Sniper
    Maybe the Trooper's boss was related to someone in the photos.....LOL. That is the only thing I could think of that would have caused this kind of punishment.
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    No insults or disdain will be tolerated by the messiah.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    That is BS
    To be a good Law Enforcement Officer you MUST know the law!

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I got the same one several times but I did not forward it, as I have not forwarded a ton of such emails. Just too much of a chance for things such as what happened to the trooper to happen.

Regarding his apology, you would be surprised what you would do when you are close to retirement. You see that light at the end of the tunnel and you start getting real careful.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

swaggon is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    If it were JM or SP I promise you it would be on the communist news network and the 5 o' clock news would be laughing laughing laughing. Equality??

swaggon is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I found an email address for ISP GHQ if you care to drop them a line.ispinfo@dps.state.ia.us
    Not sure who reads the emails but support for one of our own cannot hurt.

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Now it's been posted on here..........we're all going to be suspended now!!!!!!!!!!
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Anyone have an article on this that says if he used a dept computer or account, or if one of the accounts he forwarded it to was a dept account? If so, then he f-ed up. If not, he should have fought this one because it's B.S. You cannot OFFICIALLY punish an employee for their political beliefs/expressions. The dept. official even declared the email was political. That's lawsuit material. On the other hand, we all know that it happens unofficially all the time, since depts. are so political. But to officially punish the Sgt. if the Sgt. forwarded this email on his own computer, on his own time, and didn't send it to any dept. email address is flat out wrong. The only way I see something that was completely disconnected to the dept. being punishable like this would be if the content was in the arena of the KKK case posted elsewhere on here, or other content that so brings a bad light to the dept. that they have to do something. This email doesn't approach that at all.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Common sense tells me he must have used something official to send that. It just doesn't make any sense to me that they would even try to go after him for doing that on his personal computer and email account. And the fact he is immediately so contrite makes me think he knew he stepped on his genitalia.

People get so used to using agency/company email for personal stuff that they forget it can be monitored. My wife works for the state and I'm constantly reminding her to be careful what she uses her state computer for. Even accessing her personal email acct using her work computer could bring repercussions.

I've received and sent on that email, I thought it was funny. But even if I got an email like that on a work computer, I'd hit delete immediately. Some potential problems are just too obvious.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaFuzz View Post
    Now it's been posted on here..........we're all going to be suspended now!!!!!!!!!!

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Unbelievable.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information