Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition... Arkansas Nears Allowing Guns in Church

LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas The Arkansas House of Representatives on Wednesday approved a bill allowing concealed handguns in churches, despite hearing arguments that lawmakers should put their faith in God, not guns.
    The bill, which passed on a 57-42 vote and now heads to the Senate, removes churches and other houses of worship from the list of places where concealed handguns are banned. Currently, the only private entities where concealed weapons are banned are churches and bars.
    The bill's sponsor, Republican Rep. Beverly Pyle, said she introduced the measure after a series of church shootings across the country. She said it would be up to each individual church whether to allow the concealed guns.
    "It is time we changed our concealed-handgun law to allow law-abiding citizens of the state of Arkansas the right to defend themselves and others should a situation happen in one of our churches," she said.
    Pyle said at least 20 states have similar laws allowing churches to decide whether to permit concealed guns.
    The measure drew opposition from a pair of pastors who are also legislators.
    Democratic Rep. Steven Breedlove, a minister at the Valley View Church of Christ, said allowing concealed handguns won't stop someone from opening fire inside a church.
    "Ronald Reagan was completely surrounded by armed guards and he was still shot," Breedlove said. "And that is why we must put our faith in God and not put our faith in something else ... Let us keep the sanctity of churches and put our faith in God and not in guns."
    Another pastor, Rep. Otis Davis, said he couldn't, in good conscience, return to his constituents in eastern Arkansas and say that he voted in favor of the bill.
    Pyle had an unexpected ally in liberal Democratic Rep. Lindsley Smith, who said she supported the bill because it was an issue of separation of church and state. Smith urged lawmakers to pass the bill because churches shouldn't be treated differently from other private entities under state law, she said.
    Gov. Mike Beebe, a Democrat, said Wednesday he'd sign the bill if it made it to his desk.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The only place I don't carry a gun is in the shower.

Romans 13:4

For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword or a Glock 27 for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Texas changed the CHL laws around year 2000 to allow guns in churches, unless they post a specific "30.06" sign (nickname referring to the paragraph in the law spelling out what the sign has to look like, how big it must be, and what it must say to be enforceable). no churches I've seen bother to post the sign, which means CHL holders are free to carry.

The change was prompted by the 1999 Wedgewood Church massacre in Fort Worth, where a nut walked in and killed seven people. See: Baylor http://www.baylor.edu/lariat/news.php?action=story&story=13 843

A similar thing was done for hospitals and local government offices, including City Council meetings (unless there's a court or jail in the same building, which are always off-limits). People predicted blood running in the isles of council meetings because of the tempers that sometimes flare, but that has proven to be totally unfounded.

Alas, the provisions don't protect CHL holders in colleges and schools yet, except for the parking lots. I'm sure it will be introduced next legislative session, along with the "Open Carry" provision.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO
    Let us keep the sanctity of churches and put our faith in God and not in guns."

I put my faith in God that if I must shoot my shots will be true

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    The bill's sponsor, Republican Rep. Beverly Pyle, said she introduced the measure after a series of church shootings across the country. She said it would be up to each individual church whether to allow the concealed guns.

O.k. If the bill says each church will choose if people can carry there, then whats the fuss? Pick another church if you dont like it.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Amen, brother.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Thread Information