Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45
  1. #21
    Retdetsgt's Avatar
    Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    12-07-05
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,944
    Rep Power
    7757748
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    You can do roadside tests to determine if someone is under the influence of a controlled substance including marijuana. I do the same tests for prescription drugs also. If I determine they are under the influence I arrest them and get a urine or blood (preferably blood). It is charged as a DUI since our vehicle code covers both alcohol and drugs
    Yeah, I suspect it's a training issue. Personally, I would have rather taken a beating that process a DUI so I never cared to learn much about it. But I'm sure our traffic guys are pretty good at recognizing it since our code covers both too.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

    "A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

  2. #22
    pgg's Avatar
    pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    06-16-08
    Location
    Fled the Emerald Triangle
    Posts
    10,996
    Rep Power
    4007680
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt View Post
    Yeah, I suspect it's a training issue. Personally, I would have rather taken a beating that process a DUI so I never cared to learn much about it. But I'm sure our traffic guys are pretty good at recognizing it since our code covers both too.

    DUIs are easy just time consuming. I like doing them and getting them off the street. People complain about doing traffic collisions, I like them also, they are simple to do.

  3. #23
    Terminator's Avatar
    Terminator is offline BANNED
    Join Date
    12-03-05
    Location
    None of your business
    Posts
    16,064
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    Compared to the number of people who are hospitalized and die from the effects of tobacco? How about obesity? Marijuana caused illnesses are a drop in the bucket compared to those.
    This involves the legalization of marijuana. Nothing else.

    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    I've been on calls where people OD's on heroin, alcohol, PCP, cocaine and just about everything else, never on a marijuana though. Have you?
    Yes.

    I bet a huge percentage of people already use it and I doubt that many that don't aren't likely to start just because it's legal. And those probably aren't going to be the ones to OD from it.
    So legalize because you bet a lot of people use it? And if you don't think a large group will start using it because it is legal, you are very flawed in your thinking. We will turn in to a nation of even bigger slackers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    As far as definitions of overdosing, hell based on that, I overdose on food periodically. I've never had to go to the hospital one time for it though.
    That's your standard dictionary definition for 'overdose,' and it hasn't changed.



    So, since you want to legalize it, let's do it. You're in charge Retdetsgt. How do we make it happen? How does our government do this?

  4. #24
    Retdetsgt's Avatar
    Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    12-07-05
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,944
    Rep Power
    7757748
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    So legalize because you bet a lot of people use it? And if you don't think a large group will start using it because it is legal, you are very flawed in your thinking. We will turn in to a nation of even bigger slackers.
    Why do you think they repealed prohibition, Term? Could it be because people were drinking anyway and the illegal sale was promoting criminal activity? You get to a point where it's silly to try to prevent people from doing what they're going to do anyway. Did our society collapse because so many Americans immediately became drunks?

    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    That's your standard dictionary definition for 'overdose,' and it hasn't changed.
    No, that was the definition of overdose that you posted.

    An excessive dose, especially of a narcotic. It says especially a narcotic, it doesn't say limited to. People die from an overdose of insulin and that's not a narcotic. Overdose is taking too much of anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    How do we make it happen? How does our government do this?
    You musta slept through high school civics.... The same way they repealed prohibition. An act of Congress that also levies a tax on it.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

    "A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

  5. #25
    Retdetsgt's Avatar
    Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    12-07-05
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,944
    Rep Power
    7757748
    I don't advocate it at all, but the biggest problem if they legalized all drugs wouldn't be OD's and such, it would be the impact on the economy. You would flood the job market with a LOT of unskilled, unemployed drug dealers.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

    "A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

  6. #26
    Jenna's Avatar
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    06-11-06
    Posts
    24,374
    Rep Power
    4817857
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt View Post
    I don't advocate it at all, but the biggest problem if they legalized all drugs wouldn't be OD's and such, it would be the impact on the economy. You would flood the job market with a LOT of unskilled, unemployed drug dealers.


    I don't know, maybe they could use the skills they learned while drug dealing to sell Avon products or something.

  7. #27
    MacLean's Avatar
    MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    09-05-07
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    11,802
    Rep Power
    4584773
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    You can do roadside tests to determine if someone is under the influence of a controlled substance including marijuana. I do the same tests for prescription drugs also. If I determine they are under the influence I arrest them and get a urine or blood (preferably blood). It is charged as a DUI since our vehicle code covers both alcohol and drugs
    In my State, you have to be a Drug Recognition Expert for that to fly.

    Try finding one when you need one.

    I will not support it until a NHTSA approved FST can be used by the average officer.
    I'm your huckleberry...

    Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

    You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.


    I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...



  8. #28
    Terminator's Avatar
    Terminator is offline BANNED
    Join Date
    12-03-05
    Location
    None of your business
    Posts
    16,064
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    Why do you think they repealed prohibition, Term?
    My parents weren't even born then, and you were only 18, so who really knows.

  9. #29
    TacticalII's Avatar
    TacticalII is offline Member
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    12-15-05
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    579
    Rep Power
    208907
    So if it is legalized, would you be upset if people next to you were toking up? Second hand marijuana smoke?

  10. #30
    MacLean's Avatar
    MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    09-05-07
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    11,802
    Rep Power
    4584773
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt View Post
    Why do you think they repealed prohibition, Term? Could it be because people were drinking anyway and the illegal sale was promoting criminal activity?
    Prohibition was repealed because it was unpopular, not specifically because of the illegal activities it supported.

    The government would have gladly continued to pursue it, without the public opinion swing.

    I suppose the same thing will happen with marijuana eventually, which is all the more reason to prepare for the eventuality.
    I'm your huckleberry...

    Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

    You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.


    I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...



  11. #31
    Rhino's Avatar
    Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-08-07
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,524
    Rep Power
    1750835
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    o·ver·dose (vr-ds)n. An excessive dose, especially of a narcotic.

    That's it, Brad. Win the argument by attrition.

    Main Entry: 1over·dose Pronunciation: \ˈō-vər-ˌdōs\ Function: noun Date: 1700 1: too great a dose (as of a therapeutic agent) ; also : a lethal or toxic amount (as of a drug)2: an excessive quantity or amount <an overdose of fun>

    The answer, apparently, is "Meriam-Webster" died.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

  12. #32
    Terminator's Avatar
    Terminator is offline BANNED
    Join Date
    12-03-05
    Location
    None of your business
    Posts
    16,064
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    That's it, Brad. Win the argument by attrition.

    Main Entry: 1over·dose Pronunciation: \ˈō-vər-ˌdōs\ Function: noun Date: 1700 1: too great a dose (as of a therapeutic agent) ; also : a lethal or toxic amount (as of a drug)2: an excessive quantity or amount <an overdose of fun>

    The answer, apparently, is "Meriam-Webster" died.
    The truth is I find your arguments here to be generally pathetic, not well thought out, and very amateur. In short, I don't feel like going through debate number 4,000 with someone like you.

  13. #33
    Rhino's Avatar
    Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-08-07
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,524
    Rep Power
    1750835
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    The truth is I find your arguments here to be generally pathetic, not well thought out, and very amateur. In short, I don't feel like going through debate number 4,000 with someone like you.
    Then don't?

    I mean it's not like YOU started this thread in the "Crossfire" section or anything, I mean that would be... oh... wait.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

  14. #34
    MacLean's Avatar
    MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    09-05-07
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    11,802
    Rep Power
    4584773
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Then don't?

    I mean it's not like YOU started this thread in the "Crossfire" section or anything, I mean that would be... oh... wait.
    You can take your snide shots over to the forum provided for your rants, or you can get a short and sharp time out for disrespect of Staff on the public forums.

    YOUR CALL.

    Again, you have carried your hit and run debate style further than is warranted.

    Any response posted in here is a violation of TOS, and will result in a little sound and fury.

    Feel free to vent in PM.
    I'm your huckleberry...

    Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

    You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.


    I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...



  15. #35
    Captain America's Avatar
    Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    05-01-08
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    8,633
    Rep Power
    6624709
    We did a search warrant shortly after last Mardi Gras looking for a suspect and/or the handgun he used to shoot at one of my officers. Turns out the suspect's sister was at his apartment visiting from California when we executed the warrant. Lo and behold we search her purse and find it stuffed full of bags of marijuana with prescription labels on it. Of course she smirks at us and tell us it's legal because she has a prescription and there is nothing us backwoods ass cops can do to her because she is from the "Land of Enlightment". I busted her bubble with words to the effect of " Sweetie , your not in California anymore, that's Possession of Marijuana with Intent to Distribute here in Bumfuck ,Egypt." I really enjoyed slapping cuffs on her ignorant , arrogant ass.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

    "It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

    Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

    Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

  16. #36
    Retdetsgt's Avatar
    Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    12-07-05
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,944
    Rep Power
    7757748
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Prohibition was repealed because it was unpopular, not specifically because of the illegal activities it supported.

    The government would have gladly continued to pursue it, without the public opinion swing.

    I suppose the same thing will happen with marijuana eventually, which is all the more reason to prepare for the eventuality.
    Well, yeah. It's public opinion that's pushing the legalization, is it not? Criminalization of marijuana is growing more and more unpopular. It started years ago here in Oregon with the decriminalization of less than one oz.

    The people didn't give a rat about the illegal activities of alcohol anymore than they care about the illegal activities of drug dealers now. People wanted booze legal and a lot of people are calling for the legalization of marijuana too. Otherwise, it wouldn't be considered.

    The government will gladly pursue anything that soaks up tax dollars.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

    "A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

  17. #37
    Retdetsgt's Avatar
    Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    12-07-05
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,944
    Rep Power
    7757748
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalII View Post
    So if it is legalized, would you be upset if people next to you were toking up? Second hand marijuana smoke?
    Sure, I imagine smoking laws will effect marijuana as well as tobacco. It's becoming more and more illegal to smoke anywhere in public all the time.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

    "A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

  18. #38
    Retdetsgt's Avatar
    Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    12-07-05
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,944
    Rep Power
    7757748
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Of course she smirks at us and tell us it's legal because she has a prescription and there is nothing us backwoods ass cops can do to her because she is from the "Land of Enlightment". I busted her bubble with words to the effect of " Sweetie , your not in California anymore, that's Possession of Marijuana with Intent to Distribute here in the Bumfuck ,Egypt." I really enjoyed slapping cuffs on ignorant , arrogate ass.
    That's the best story I've read in a long time! Bet she met some nice backwoods ladies in the them thar hillbilly pokeys!
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

    "A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

  19. #39
    HudsonHawk's Avatar
    HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    01-17-06
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,535
    Rep Power
    1710441
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
    I suspect that DUI's will increase as will the backlog to the crime labs for blood/urine tests.
    It already takes over 4 months here.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

  20. #40
    armsmaster270's Avatar
    armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    08-11-07
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    2,441
    Rep Power
    369108
    If the Bay area morons have a say in it, it will pass.


    Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

    http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

 

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •