Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
    If the Bay area morons have a say in it, it will pass.
    If California passes it, Oregon won't be far behind. We're usually about 1 to 2 years from anything thing that happens down there. That included drive by shooting, freeway shootings, etc.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt View Post
    Well, yeah. It's public opinion that's pushing the legalization, is it not? Criminalization of marijuana is growing more and more unpopular. It started years ago here in Oregon with the decriminalization of less than one oz.
    To some degree, I agree. There are also some persuasive groups pushing it as an agenda.

I don't know that such was common during prohibition - the mob sure didn't want booze legal!

I'm a very strong believer in history - and that it repeats itself. In this instance, I find it too convenient that we are in a rush.

We just elected a President based on a media sales job. I'm not sure I want to just jump and legalize drugs because of a sales job.

I think it is going to happen - and I see little point in fighting it from a cost benefit point of view. I think we should be focusing intently on how to mitigate the damage from a law enforcement perspective.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    To some degree, I agree. There are also some persuasive groups pushing it as an agenda.

I don't know that such was common during prohibition - the mob sure didn't want booze legal!

I'm a very strong believer in history - and that it repeats itself. In this instance, I find it too convenient that we are in a rush.

We just elected a President based on a media sales job. I'm not sure I want to just jump and legalize drugs because of a sales job.

I think it is going to happen - and I see little point in fighting it from a cost benefit point of view. I think we should be focusing intently on how to mitigate the damage from a law enforcement perspective.
    I see a strong parallel between the abolishment of prohibition and the legalization of marijuana. People want something to give them a cheap "feel good". And some prefer the high from drugs rather than the high from alcohol. And like booze in the 20's, they're going to get it no matter what.

And beyond the persuasive groups you mentioned, I think a lot more people are apathetic and see no reason to keep it illegal. I've seen that here with first, the decriminalization of less than an ounce to coming up with medical marijuana and then later opening up even more medical marijuana availability. The last two came from voter initiatives, not the legislature.

I just think that more and more people see a futility in keeping it illegal, at least around here. And I think more people smoke it than most of us realize. Folks read and see the effects that cocaine, meth, heroin and other drugs have on people, but most don't see people robbing banks and burglarizing to feed a marijuana habit.

Back in the late 70's and early 80's, my ex was an ER nurse. When we went to the Christmas parties, someone would let her know when they were about to bring out the bongs so she and I could leave. And these were nice, respectable people that cops deal with on a daily basis. Several were good friends of mine.

I agree about Obama totally, but I think legalization will come from a grass roots effort. As you said earlier, government has no stake in legalizing it, although I suspect California is aching to get tax dollars from it. But even that will be tough, a lot of dealers are already established and not willing to pay taxes, just like the old moonshiners... I doubt dealers will be choked up about legalizing it either. Some of them actually will become part of the unskilled, unemployed.

I have no dog in that fight. I don't drink anymore and certainly have no desire to use marijuana or any other type of drug, but like you I see it coming no matter what. I really think that it will all settle out and won't have any more effect on LE than it does now. We'll still be trying to keep it out of the hands of kids like we do booze now and hopefully the Feds will worry about unlicensed grows and such.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalII View Post
    So if it is legalized, would you be upset if people next to you were toking up? Second hand marijuana smoke?
    I don't like the idea of legalization, but I guess I don't really care. If they DO legalize it though, I think it should be restricted to private residences or like Amsterdam does it with smoke bars/coffee shops. That way you know you will get subjected to the smoke and can choose to go somewhere else.
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiGywer View Post
    I think it should be restricted to private residences or like Amsterdam does it with smoke bars/coffee shops. That way you know you will get subjected to the smoke and can choose to go somewhere else.
    Will never happen here. Ever since the smoking ban, adults apparently don't know how to decide for themselves which establishments to frequent based on smoking or non
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information