Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Official: Obama Accomplished More in 30 Days Than Any President in Modern History

Official: Obama Accomplished More in 30 Days Than Any President in Modern History

February 24, 2009 1:14 PM
    "President Obama has accomplished more in 30 days than any president in modern history," a senior White House official said this morning in a background briefing for TV reporters.

Pointing to legislation on children's health insurance and the "Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act," and most especially the stimulus bill, the official compared President Obama favorably to Presidents Reagan, Clinton and Bush, pointing out that the previous presidents' major economic bills were all months away from becoming enacted into law at this point in their presidencies.

"He has a set of wins under his belt" as he comes to address a joint session of Congress this evening, the senior White House official said, contrasting the president with Bill Clinton, who at this point in his presidency had been dealing with the gays in the military controversy, with passage of Family Medical Leave as a legislative win.

Obama, conversely, can point to a $787 billion bill that made major changes in energy, education and tax policies, the official said, describing the bill as a "major paydown" on what candidate Obama ran on.

The provisions in the bill promoting energy independence, the official said, constitute "the largest energy independence investment policy ever in the U.S.," and maybe even in the world.

Recent polls by ABC News/Washington Post, CBS News/New York Times, and others showing the president with high approval ratings is "earned," the official said. "This isn't just the afterglow of the inauguration."

The official had beckoned us to his/her office to give us some context and preview tonight's address.

The President, the official said, "will have an integrated approach" to the economic solutions he has proposed, discussing how all of the proverbial legs of the stool -- financial stabilization, stimulus, regulatory reform, credit markets -- are necessary for a recovery.

The message and tone: "We will get through this economic hardship," the official said. "Here are the actions necessary to take to do so."

Previously when "Americans have faced challenges we have pulled together and done the tough things necessary," the official said. "America has gotten through it together."

He will "acknowledge the difficulty of the moment, but he says optimistically that we can get through it" by honoring the values of "responsibility, accountability and a set of common interests."

"Every time the U.S. has measured up," the official said. But "it's time to own up. You can't just kick the can down the road for another administration to deal with."

Despite a jittery Wall Street, the official said the president will not specifically address the banking industry, or those who run the financial system. Rather, he will "paint a picture of stability in the financial system and what it means to all of us."

There will be "big stuff" in the speech on four main topics: education, health care, energy independence and the fiscal situation, all addressed with the theme of responsibility.

The format for these big issues will largely be "here's what we've accomplished; here's what we need to do to press to the goal line."

For instance, on health care, the president will discuss the State Children's Health Insurance Program which he recently signed into law giving four million additional children health insurance. He will discuss the measures in the stimulus bill that add billions to assist the unemployed with health insurance, and the investments in health care technology being made that will ultimately achieve cost savings. And then the president will discuss additional measures he feels the U.S. needs to take on the issue.

The president will not discuss specific hard choices he supports, the official said, such as specific cuts in Social Security necessary to ensure future solvency of the program. This speech wouldn't be the right time for that.

Afghanistan and other foreign policy issues will be mentioned -- especially what the U.S. owes to its troops -- but mostly the president will address those issues in a speech on Iraq to be given in the next few days. On national service, the president will call for congressional action on a bill promoting national service offered by Sens. Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., and Orrin Hatch, R-Utah.

"It's not just a bee hive of activity," the official said. "We're moving out on all fronts because this point in time requires energy, purpose and clarity."

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Only if they measure money spent...
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post

Or time spent blaming the previous administration.....
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Quantity doesn't equal quality
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Only history can judge his accomplishments - He hasn't been in office long enough to judge whether his spending and proposed taxes against businesses will bankrupt us or save us.

If he cuts military spending like he said that he's going to, I'm also afraid that he's going to trigger massive layoffs for defense contractors, and he will pull a "Bill Clinton" on our military readiness..

If he taxes small family-owned businesses any more than they're already taxed (which is a good percentage of those people who are reporting over $250k per year), the tax increases won't mean much if he discourages them from staying in business.

Most small business owners would make more per hour if they got a job and worked for a corporation, as it is. Add additional taxes, and a large number of them will shut the doors and lay off their employees, but I honestly don't think he gives a shit.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    took the words right out of my mouth. I guess by "Accomplishment" they mean "spend money".

Just to help wrap your head around the number of dollars Obama has spent in his first month in office:

If we pay back half a billion dollars (500 million) a year...

we'd pay it back in 2000 years.

..and THEN we could get started on the money that was owed BEFORE he took office.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    took the words right out of my mouth. I guess by "Accomplishment" they mean "spend money".

Just to help wrap your head around the number of dollars Obama has spent in his first month in office:

If we pay back half a billion dollars (500 million) a year...

we'd pay it back in 2000 years.

..and THEN we could get started on the money that was owed BEFORE he took office.
    I have an idea, When you recieve your Stimulus check, give it back to the administration that gave it to you.

Everyone that is bitching about the new president won't have a problem spending the Stimulus money that they are gonna recieve from his efforts to fix the huge fucking problem that he walked into. Give the guy a fucking break. He stepped up to the plate, and is trying to make things better for YOU, and I. damn..
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by k-9max View Post
    Everyone that is bitching about the new president won't have a problem spending the Stimulus money that they are gonna receive
    Yeah, all $13 per week.

You will repay every bit of that $13 (and then some) through inflation, rising interest rates, and losses in your 401(k) or retirement plans that tripling the deficit will likely cause.

It's not a stimulus check - It's a fucking pacifier so he can say "I gave you something", while at the same time taking more of your paycheck with the other hand - One way or another, everything we're receiving will be re-paid plus interest.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Everyone that is bitching about the new president won't have a problem spending the Stimulus money that they are gonna recieve from his efforts to fix the huge fucking problem that he walked into. Give the guy a fucking break. He stepped up to the plate, and is trying to make things better for YOU, and I. damn..
    Yeah, just like FDR. Read some fucking history. He's doing the same things FDR did in the 30's that kept the depression going until WWII. The Democrats raised the maximum tax on from 25% to 63% in 1932. Unemployment went from 15% to 24% in a few months. The tax cuts he's giving doesn't amount to jackshit and he's planning on raising taxes on the very people who can provide jobs just like FDR. How else is he going to cut the deficit in half like he promised? That's going to start in 2011, then we will go to shit in a handbasket.

The trouble is, people don't want to pay for the dumbass things they've been doing and want the government to take care of them. That doesn't work. It took Reagan getting tough with the credit market for two years to stop the runaway inflation caused by the do gooder Democrats from LBJ on.

The stimulus money is a crock of shit, it isn't going to solve a damn thing. Nor are his public projects he's talking about. FDR built the TVA, Hoover Dam, all sorts of public projects paid for by tax money that did nothing to revive the economy. It's nothing but a huge spending bill full of earmarks and Obama is lying when he says there are none.

We're here because the Democrats under Clinton started forcing banks to make loans to people who were high risk. In fact, it goes farther back than that, google Community Reinvestment Act. This bullshit started under Carter. But just five years ago, Barney Frank said that Freddie Mac was sound, but it needed to make more low income loans... That was fucking brilliant, now wasn't it? And he's the guy you're depending on to get us out of this mess? FDR proved you can't tax and spend your way out of a recession, but Obama's going to do it anyway.

Now he wants to reward the dumbasses that bought houses they couldn't afford by making those of us who used some brains pay for it. Let them lose their fucking houses, maybe next time they'll know they can't have something just because they want it.

Bottom line is, we eat some shit now and let the economy recover or we raise the deficit even more, tax the wealthy and business so they can't hire and eat a lot more shit for the next decade.

Our only chance is if people recognize the fallacy of this and put more Republicans in Congress next year and make him a one term president in 2012. Otherwise they are going to tax us into more recession and then inflation.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I have an idea, When you recieve your Stimulus check, give it back to the administration that gave it to you.

What stimulus check? There ain't going to be any stimulus check.

And they took my fucking money to begin with, I'm supposed to kiss his ass because someone gives it back?

His party caused this fucking problem - he didn't walk into anything.

No offense dude, but look beyond what your party is telling you. The government is not supposed to take care of you, they are supposed to work FOR you.

An administration does not give you money - if that was the case George Bush sent me a check for $1800 - maybe I should have let him buy my vote with my own money. Obama plans to raise my taxes and send me $13 a week in my paycheck to make up for it. Sorry dude, no sale.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    $13 a week. I am robbed of almost 10 times that amount every week by the US government. Yes, "robbed". Because 1) I don't want the government to take that money, but they take it anyway and 2) I know if I don't let them take it they can and will use force to take it. So, by all legal definitions, that's robbery.

We're having our backs pissed on and being told it's raining.

Everyone that is bitching about the new president won't have a problem spending the Stimulus money that they are gonna recieve from his efforts to fix the huge fucking problem that he walked into.
    First off, I didn't mention the President. He's not acting alone. This isn't an Empire (yet). There's a House and a Senate that is equally responsible.

Second, there are other ways to solve this "huge fucking problem" that don't involve socializing this country, causing a bigger burden on taxpayers, and allowing all this ridiculous spending in the name of "stimulating the economy".
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Thread Information