Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

RNC chief Steele: Limbaugh is more a performer than GOP leader

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Republican Party Chairman Michael Steele is taking issue with the notion that Rush Limbaugh is the de facto leader of the GOP, calling the conservative radio talk show host an entertainer whose comments can be ugly.
    Steele, chairman of the Republican National Committee, said in an interview with CNN that he, rather than Limbaugh, is "the de facto leader of the Republican Party."
    And Steele described Limbaugh as a performer.
    "Rush Limbaugh is an entertainer. Rush Limbaugh's whole thing is entertainment," Steele said. "Yes, it is incendiary. Yes, it is ugly."
    Limbaugh fired back on his radio show Monday that the GOP leader appears to be supporting President Obama and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
    "Why do you claim to lead the Republican Party when you seem obsessed with seeing to it President Obama succeeds?" Limbaugh said to Steele.
    "I frankly am stunned that the chairman of the Republican National Committee endorses such an agenda. I have to conclude that he does because he attacks me for wanting it to fail," said Limbaugh.
    Last month, Steele, a former lieutenant governor of Maryland, was elected chairman of the RNC. He is the first African-American to lead the Republican Party. At the time of his election, Steele said that "Rush will say what Rush has to say; we'll do what we have to do."
    Steele made his latest comments regarding Limbaugh on CNN's "D.L. Hughley Breaks the News," which aired this weekend. The Steele interview was taped before Limbaugh's appearance before the Conservative Political Action Conference, an annual meeting of conservatives from across the nation.
    Limbaugh brought a cheering crowd to its feet several times as he called on fellow conservatives to take back the country.
    He used his self-described "first national address," which ran more than an hour longer than his allotted 20 minutes, to accuse President Obama of inspiring fear in Americans in order to push a liberal agenda of "big government."
    Limbaugh also backed up comments he made earlier this year in which he said he hoped Obama failed.
    "What is so strange about being honest and saying I want Barack Obama to fail if his mission is to restructure and re-form this country so that capitalism and individual liberty are not its foundation?" he said.
    But a top Republican in Congress disagreed.
    "I don't think anyone wants anything to fail right now," House Republican Whip Eric Cantor said on ABC's "This Week." "We have such challenges. What we need to do is we need to put forth solutions to the problems that real families are facing today."
    RNC spokesman Alex Conant on Monday did not directly address Steele's comments about Limbaugh but pointed out the back-and-forth between the White House and the conservative radio host.
    "Rahm Emanuel and the Democrats know they lose an argument with the Republican Party on substance, so they are building straw men to attack and distract," he said. "The feud between radio host Rush and Rahm makes great political theater, but it is a sideshow to the important work going on in Washington.
    "RNC Chairman Michael Steele and elected Republicans are focused on fighting for reform and winning elections. The Democrats' problem is that the American people are growing skeptical of the massive government spending being pushed by congressional leaders like [House Speaker] Nancy Pelosi," Conant said.
    A spokesman for Limbaugh said the radio host did not have an immediate response, but added he would probably address Steele's comments Monday on his nationally syndicated radio program.

Rush replied on his radio show, lashing out at Steele for his comments. Steele later apologized for offending Rush.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Steele is just upset Rush is holding the RNC to the fire.

I hope he keeps doing it, frankly.

Steele needs to resign, or grow a fucking pair.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Steele is just upset Rush is holding the RNC to the fire.

I hope he keeps doing it, frankly.

I have to agree. Rush's analysis of Steele's comments are right on. I say Steele should step up, or step down!

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Rush pretty much laid the smack down on his show today. Mark Lavin acknowledged the apology on his show, but also made the same statement you just made Term.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele says he has reached out to Rush Limbaugh to tell him he meant no offense when he referred to the popular conservative radio host as an “entertainer” whose show can be “incendiary.”
    “My intent was not to go after Rush – I have enormous respect for Rush Limbaugh,” Steele said in a telephone interview. “I was maybe a little bit inarticulate. … There was no attempt on my part to diminish his voice or his leadership.”

The dust-up comes at a time when top Democrats are trying to make Limbaugh the face of the Republican Party, in part by using ads funded by labor. Americans United for Change sent a fund-raising e-mail Monday that begins: “The Republican Party has turned into the Rush Limbaugh Party.”

Steele told CNN host D.L. Hughley in an interview aired Saturday night: “Rush Limbaugh is an entertainer. Rush Limbaugh — his whole thing is entertainment. He has this incendiary — yes, it's ugly.”

Steele, who won a hard-fought chairman's race on Jan. 30, told Politico he telephoned Limbaugh after his show on Monday afternoon and hoped that they would connect soon.

“I went back at that tape and I realized words that I said weren’t what I was thinking,” Steele said. "It was one of those things where I thinking I was saying one thing, and it came out differently. What I was trying to say was a lot of people … want to make Rush the scapegoat, the bogeyman, and he’s not."

“I’m not going to engage these guys and sit back and provide them the popcorn for a fight between me and Rush Limbaugh,” Steele added. “No such thing is going to happen. … I wasn’t trying to slam him or anything.”

On Monday’s show, Limbaugh reacted both to the comment and to the assertion on CBS’s “Face the Nation” by White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel that the radio host is “the voice and the intellectual force and energy behind the Republican Party.”

Limbaugh said: “I'm not in charge of the Republican Party, and I don't want to be. I would be embarrassed to say that I'm in charge of the Republican Party in the sad-sack state that it's in. If I were chairman of the Republican Party, given the state that it's in, I would quit. I might get out the hari-kari knife because I would have presided over a failure that is embarrassing to the Republicans and conservatives who have supported it and invested in it all these years.”

On the RushLimbaugh.com home page, the transcript is labeled: “A Few Words for Michael Steele.”
    On Monday night, DNC Chairman Tim Kaine called on Republicans to "stop following divisive figures" like Limbaugh.

"I was briefly encouraged by the courageous comments made my counterpart in the Republican Party over the weekend challenging Rush Limbaugh as the leader of the Republican Party and referring to his show as ‘incendiary’ and ‘ugly,’" Kaine said in a statement. "However, Chairman Steele’s reversal this evening and his apology to Limbaugh proves the unfortunate point that Limbaugh is the leading force behind the Republican Party, its politics and its obstruction of President Obama’s agenda in Washington."

In the interview with Politico, Steele called Limbaugh “a very valuable conservative voice for our party.”

“He brings a very important message to the American people to wake up and pay attention to what the administration is doing," Steele said. "Number two, there are those out there who want to look at what he’s saying as incendiary and divisive and ugly. That’s what I was trying to say. It didn’t come out that way. … He does what he does best, which is provoke: He provokes thought, he provokes the left. And they’re clearly the ones who are most excited about him.”

Asked if he planned to apologize, Steele said: “I wasn’t trying to offend anybody. So, yeah, if he’s offended, I’d say: Look, I’m not in the business of hurting people’s feelings here. … My job is to try to bring us all together.”

Video links below:

Steele to Rush: I'm sorry - Mike Allen - POLITICO.com

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Synopsis:

I fucked up, and attacked the real leadership of my party and everything they stand for. I better make nice quick before they fire my ass.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO

try this but, grow a set of brass ones first

Conservatives appearing on the networks:

The network press need to be told what they really are, on their camera. People will hear this, especially when the networks begin to feed on each other. Their bias is so set in place, use it against them.

Whatever position a conservative takes, however polite you are, if you show up they will screw you. So why go there?

If you must....first you need to be fearless. Decide this will be "fun", and they will not tear you down. Turn their methods around onto them. But be ready for serious intelligent dialogue. However if they stack the deck.......flip it on them.

The talking heads need to be told "shove it. If they attack, tell the audience why the people on this show get "soft" or "hard"questions, why, and who they are. Tell the audience why you do not trust the "hosts" i.e. "loaded" questions, it will be spun, unfair, will be distorted and lied about.............give recent examples. Challenge them to play those excerpts, ask the program mgr, not the "hosts".

Talk to the camera/audience like to a jury, treat the "host" as an attacking lawyer. Ask them to repeat loaded questions. If they shout you down or cut you off, look at the camera, "I told you so"... and apologize to each commercial sponsor by name, and simply get up and leave.

There is nothing wrong with publicly calling a newsie or liberal a liar or prejudiced, just look into the camera and let it go. Just be sure of it when you say it, and smile.

Use surprise props like throwing monopoly money into the air if you talk about "stimulus", or bring a live duck to discuss media bias, "if it looks like a duck...." hand it to a "host' hoping it craps on (neat-freak) Matt Lauer's lap. Use humor to your advantage. Reason: "you talk to this audience like they are 3 year olds, so I thougt I'd talk to you on your level."

Why join a card game where it is known the others cheat, and the deck is stacked? Don't play their game. Invite them to your place if they want to play. Pick them apart on their time and turf, that was always their plan for you.

Remember, they have a different definition of "bias" "fair" and "truth". Play rough, but don't take them seriously. Treat them as irrelevant or a comedy.

Watch the ratings.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    I've been saying this about the entire Republican party since the days of Clinton and "compassionate conservatism".
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Thread Information