Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Ted Kennedy to receive honorary knighthood

The Queen has agreed the honour for the 77-year-old for services to the US-UK relationship and to Northern Ireland, Downing Street said.
    Gordon Brown is to formally announce the award during his address to both houses of Congress today, which comes on the second full day of his visit to Washington.
    Kennedy, who has been a senator for his home state of Massachusetts for more than 46 years, is being treated for a brain tumour.
    The most senior member of the famous Irish-American political dynasty, he was diagnosed with brain cancer in May last year.
    It came after he was rushed to hospital with stroke-like symptoms.
    He has since had chemotherapy and radiation to treat the malignant glioma, a lethal type of brain tumour.
    Kennedy suffered another seizure during President Barack Obama's inaugural lunch in January, but was released from hospital a day later.
    The father of five was elected to the US Senate as a Democrat in 1962 following the election of his brother as president.
    Apart from his famous family connections, he is probably best known in the UK for his work on the Northern Ireland peace process.
    Kennedy has been intricately involved with province's politics, meeting with the likes of Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams and other politicians during and beyond the Good Friday agreement.
    He famously snubbed Adams during the latter's St Patrick's Day trip to the US in 2005 following the brutal killing of Robert McCartney. The death saw the IRA accused of involvement, and became a cause celebre on both sides of the Atlantic.
    Kennedy joins a select band of overseas nationals given an honorary knighthood.
    Microsoft billionaire Bill Gates, former president George Bush senior, former mayor of New York Rudolph Giuliani and the film director Steven Spielberg have also received the honour.
    The Prime Minister's visit this week to the US saw him become the first European leader to hold talks at the White House with Mr Obama since his inauguration in January.
    His speech to both houses of Congress will make him only the fifth British premier to make such an address.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Well, I'll bet Mary Jane Kopechnie thinks that is just swell.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    That's interesting since his father was pro Nazi before WWII and lost his ambassadorship to Great Britain because of it.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Not to mention papa was a rum runner as well. Might explain the boys' thirst for the drink . . .

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I've never seen hypocrisy shine in a politician moreso than Edward Kennedy. For those who will indulge me, I'll certainly demonstrate my meaning in the following:

For those unfamiliar with details of the incident, (a thorough read of this timeline will reveal much, even that which couldn't be brought out in court testimony due to "attorney-client privilege", also, the inquest of the officer on duty that night's personal life and associations by Kennedy's defense staff, all in an attempt to discredit his testimony):

http://www.ytedk.com/intro.htm

A radio interview with the scuba diver who actually recovered Mary Jo's body, (note especially the pressure brought to bear on this man via IRS audits following his disclosure):

http://fatboy.cc/Audio/John%20Farrar.wma

Kennedy's statement made some seven days following (after removing the fake neck brace he had worn to her funeral mass):

" Do we operate under a system of equal justice under law?
    Or is there one system for the average citizen and another for the high and mighty? "

~ Senator Ted Kennedy, 1973
    A 'tribute to Edward Kennedy' (and Barack Obama) by "Sweet Caroline" Kennedy:

The DNC 'tribute' to Kennedy:

Now, he's an old man suffering with a brain tumor, but in the course of our recent history, he absolutely serves as a shining example of how our system of justice can be wholly supplanted by the power of political and financial influence, as if a whore had been paid her fee to corrupt any shred of virtue she once held.

It is right and fitting that he holds such a position of notariety in the Democratic party; serving as a towering beacon of what that party now stands for: "Just Us, not Justice."

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    Well, I'll bet Mary Jane Kopechnie thinks that is just swell.

Car 4
    Amen ,Car 4, Amen...... People remember what they chose to remember. Sometimes it isn't what's important to remember.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Thread Information