Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

In a change from all previous administrations, Obama is considering charging vets for VA healthcare. That's a change we can believe in.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki confirmed Tuesday that the Obama administration is considering a controversial plan to make veterans pay for treatment of service-related injuries with private insurance.
    But the proposal would be "dead on arrival" if it's sent to Congress, Sen. Patty Murray, D-Washington, said.
    Murray used that blunt terminology when she told Shinseki that the idea would not be acceptable and would be rejected if formally proposed. Her remarks came during a hearing before the Senate Committee on Veterans Affairs about the 2010 budget.
    No official proposal to create such a program has been announced publicly, but veterans groups wrote a pre-emptive letter last week to President Obama voicing their opposition to the idea after hearing the plan was under consideration.
    The groups also cited an increase in "third-party collections" estimated in the 2010 budget proposal -- something they said could be achieved only if the Veterans Administration started billing for service-related injuries.
    Asked about the proposal, Shinseki said it was under "consideration."
    "A final decision hasn't been made yet," he said.
    Currently, veterans' private insurance is charged only when they receive health care from the VA for medical issues that are not related to service injuries, like getting the flu.
    Charging for service-related injuries would violate "a sacred trust," Veterans of Foreign Wars spokesman Joe Davis said. Davis said the move would risk private health care for veterans and their families by potentially maxing out benefits paying for costly war injury treatments.
    A second senator, North Carolina Republican Richard Burr, said he agreed that the idea should not go forward.
    "I think you will give that up" as a revenue stream if it is included in this April's budget, Burr said.
    Murray said she'd already discussed her concerns with the secretary the previous week.
    "I believe that veterans with service-connected injuries have already paid by putting their lives on the line," Murray said in her remarks. "I don't think we should nickel and dime them for their care."
    Eleven of the most prominent veterans organizations have been lobbying Congress to oppose the idea. In the letter sent last week to the president, the groups warned that the idea "is wholly unacceptable and a total abrogation of our government's moral and legal responsibility to the men and women who have sacrificed so much."
    The groups included The American Legion, Disabled American Veterans, Military Order of the Purple Heart, Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States, and Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America.
    At the time, a White House spokesman would neither confirm nor deny the option was being considered.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Senator Stennis is rolling in his grave over that one.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Even Democrats in Congress are against this. Patty Murray, a far leftie from Washington has spoken out against it. Not gonna happen.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'd go so far as to say that honorably discharged combat veterans deserve government-paid healthcare benefits for life, INSTEAD of the members of congress.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    What a smack in the face that would be. What an POS to even consider it.

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    I'd go so far as to say that honorably discharged combat veterans deserve government-paid healthcare benefits for life, INSTEAD of the members of congress.
    +1. It pisses the hell out of me that Obama Adminisrtation would even consider such bullshit.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Don't forget the lifetime retirement pay they get after only one term since they don't pay into the same social security the rest of us do.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    I don't know about members of Congress, but I don't believe serving a few years qualifies anyone for free medical care forever.

The majority of military people never see combat in their time, they work at the job more or less as a civilian would except they wear a unifrom. I don't think that deserves it.

I'm all for treating anything attributed to military service, but not run of mill medical care.

My father in law was given 100% disability mostly because he wrote his congressman and bitched. He deserves some of what he gets, but he abuses the system horribly.

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt View Post
    I don't know about members of Congress, but I don't believe serving a few years qualifies anyone for free medical care forever.

The majority of military people never see combat in their time, they work at the job more or less as a civilian would except they wear a unifrom. I don't think that deserves it.

I'm all for treating anything attributed to military service, but not run of mill medical care.

My father in law was given 100% disability mostly because he wrote his congressman and bitched. He deserves some of what he gets, but he abuses the system horribly.
    I was actually qualified for disablility according to the military..not full..just partial. I told them not to even put any of the paper through...I told them to keep the money for those that deserved it.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    One of my brothers is on 100% disability after Iraq. I don't know how he would manage if this crap passed. As it is I don't know how much longer he is going to be around.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
    I was actually qualified for disablility according to the military..not full..just partial. I told them not to even put any of the paper through...I told them to keep the money for those that deserved it.
    Yeah, that's the way I look at it. I did my time, saw my combat, but was fortunate enough to come out physically okay, just a little nuts. But I don't need to drain the resources others who need help and can't otherwise afford it.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    One of my brothers is on 100% disability after Iraq. I don't know how he would manage if this crap passed. As it is I don't know how much longer he is going to be around.
    It won't, don't worry. I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. I hope he gets the best of care. My heart breaks when I read about or see these young people coming back like that. Sometimes it literally brings tears to my eyes. Brings back a lot of memories.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    that is sad pgg.

I cant imagine that going through...can you imagine the outrage???? We need to give MORE to our veterans not less. "Hey..yah..thanks for serving and getting injured....now where is your money? " Unbelievable....my thinking that the country is going downhill will be solidified with this if it passes.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It won't, don't worry. I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. I hope he gets the best of care. My heart breaks when I read about or see these young people coming back like that. Sometimes it literally brings tears to my eyes. Brings back a lot of memories.

Thanks I appreciate it. I have 2 other siblings that have deployed also. One, a Marine, did 3 tours in Iraq, he is up in Macleans area now. The other is one of my sisters. She has done 18 months in Afganistan so far. She is state side now but she is still in. She is a Sgt now. So far both are okay
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Mine too. I think it is getting worse the older I get...I realize just how young these men and women are that are coming back with horrendous injuries both physically and mentally...it does break my heart. And although I think that things have gotten a little bit better since the Vietnam War with at least the welcome these men and women have....it is still not enough. So damn young.....

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    ... thus the term I used, "combat veterans".

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Verified LEO
    ... thus the term I used, "combat veterans".
    I missed that, sorry. But I foresee people scrabbling to walk through a combat zone so they can get free medical care for life.

I think the system is fine the way it is.

srab is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    Senator Stennis is rolling in his grave over that one.
    As is Abe Lincoln. Un fucking believable. You know, every time I see that POW bracelet he got during the campaign, I wonder if "they" realize what it really means.
    "The best tank terrain is that without anti-tank weapons"
    Russian military doctrine

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"
    - Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

www.gruntsbbq.com

Thread Information