Welcome to the APBWeb.
    countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

As I see it... the bail-out.

I'm Countybear, and this is how I see it...

There are two mainstream views of government's fiscal role in America:

One school of thought is that government is the steward of the people's wealth, that its powers (under the United States Constitution) are granted to levy (reasonable) taxes from the people, to use as a means to further its missions; which are, of course, in service to those same people who grant it both taxes, and the authorization that empowers it to act.

School two (unfortunately), seems to have rapidly become more prevalent; that government is the creator, grantor, and distributor of wealth and assets, the controller, pre-eminent ruler, and purveyor of all success and fortune, and the provider of remedy regardless of choice, quality of conception or contrivance, or responsibility.

The "bail-outs" paid by the government to banks and automakers, by the first school of thought, is the government pouring taxpayer dollars into businesses which it deems to be 'critical' to the country's overall economic welfare. The return to the taxpayer? The satisfaction of knowing that these businesses will (likely) not file for bankruptcy protection and become completely insolvent, or fold altogether, perhaps leading to "ripple-effect" insolvencies and massive layoffs. The expenditures thus far, equate to roughly $18,000.00 per household in America, with approximately $80,000.00 per household committed to the T.A.R.P. funds pledged to these troubled businesses, (1).

Regardless of which school of thought you personally subscribe to, if you pay a federal tax of any kind, you have been compelled to become a stakeholder.

Demand your lower interest rates, and your new cars...

Seriously, though... the provisions on bankruptcy not being enough to protect corporations from their creditors, evidently, our government has seen fit to dole abundantly;

... to the lending institutions, given that it was government's own interference in the free market that created the mortgage crisis, I can almost see the motivation, however, rather than allowing the market to self-correct, (and getting government's nose OUT of mortgage lending, which started the 'bubble's' inflation to begin with, we've given future tax money, (paid by the responsible homebuyers in the market) to the lenders, not to reward the responsible, -- or even 'troubled' borrower. What does the government reap? Control. D'uh.

... to the automakers, whose outrageous compromises with UAW have led to the highest overhead and the lowest profits in the history of the American-made automobile. When $2,000.00 per car goes to healthcare benefits for and industry's workers, that is a healthcare crisis. Granted, again, government has stuck its huge nose in this industry as well, pressing ever-increasing C.A.F.E. fuel economy and environmental standards, but this is a market desperately needing a financial re-alignment.

That's how I see it.

(1) Source: Yahoo! ).

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The way I see it is the old school thought on bleeding a person that was ill. When the bleeding didn't work the first time they bled the patient some more. That killed a lot of people.

I wish we could let the dying trees in our economic forest die, allow them to be cut down, and allow the new trees to come up and replace them. What we are doing now is not preparing for the eventual forest fire. With all the dense underbrush under the dying and diseased trees we are soon going to have hell to pay. WE NEED TO GET RID OF THE DEAD WOOD AND LET THE LUSH STRONGER TREES GROW STRONGER THAN NOW FALLING TIMBER.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Bail out this company bail out that company...who is going to bail out our children? Who is going to pay for this? I wonder how many of our kids will be looking jail time in the face when they cannot pay their tax debt?
    I also wonder what explanation, if any, has been given when that question has been asked? I've seen it asked, many times. However a response has never been made to it. At least none that I've heard. I wish I had the chance to ask the Treasurer that question. He hasn't met someone that's as bull headed as I am.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Thread Information