Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Bond Hearing for Terrorist

Here we go... How long before these animals are walking the streets again on technicalities...

Bond Hearing for Alleged Al Qaeda Sleeper Agent Ali al-Marri Goes Forward as Scheduled

Wednesday, March 18, 2009
    By Mike Levine

A bond hearing for alleged Al Qaeda sleeper agent Ali al-Marri went forward as scheduled Wednesday after a judge ruled he still poses a threat to the U.S.

The news comes after a back-and-forth over whether al-Marri's Wednesday morning court appearance would be canceled.

After the detention hearing is over, he could still be moved out of military custody in South Carolina sooner than expected to face federal terror charges next week in Illinois.

Al-Marri is charged with one count of providing material support to Al Qaeda and one count of conspiracy, according to the indictment filed in U.S. District Court in central Illinois.

Al-Marri was allegedly the only "enemy combatant" of the United States to be held in this country before being charged by the Justice Department a few weeks ago.

Prosecutor Michael Mullaney said during Wednesday's bond hearing that al-Marri shouldn't be released on bail before the criminal case continues against him in Illinois.

The Qatar native's attorney, Andy Savage, was going to argue for his client's release before a federal magistrate later in the proceedings.

Savage told U.S. Magistrate Judge Robert Carr that he believes U.S. Marshals might have audio of a conversation he had with his client and that tape could compromise their attorney-client talks, according to WCIV-TV.

Savage argued that he knew he was being videotaped, but was under the impression that the audio portion of the meeting in question with al-Marri was privileged, the station reported. The videotapes are in the government's possession and prosecutors said they are checking on whether there is audio with them.

Earlier in the day, two sources told FOX News the detention hearing might not go forward because the defense was considering waiving it.

Al-Marri's first night outside a South Carolina Navy brig in six years could still happen earlier than planned depending on Wednesday's outcome.

The alleged Al Qaeda sleeper agent has been detained at the military facility since 2003, when President George Bush declared him an "enemy combatant."

But on Feb. 26, in a major shift from the previous administration, the new Justice Department brought terror charges against al-Marri in a federal civilian court in Peoria, Ill.

President Obama ordered al-Marri surrendered to civil authorities after he was indicted in Peoria on federal charges of providing material support to terror and conspiracy.

Al-Marri made an initial appearance in court last week.

To get him released before trial, defense attorney Savage would have to convince Carr that his client is neither a danger to the community nor a flight risk.

Wednesday's hearing was expected to last up to three hours, with the defense and prosecution arguing over how much of a threat al-Marri poses to the general public.

Al-Marri is due in federal court in Illinois on Monday to face the terror charges.

Click here for more on this story from WCIV.com.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Five will get you ten that if he makes bail there is no way we're seeing his face in the USA ever again unless it's with a few sticks of dynamite attached to his body.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    What a danger to this country. We are truly our own worst enemy.

Thread Information