Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Those DVD's President Obama gave the the UK PM? Yeah, the DRM means he can't play 'em, so he's a little PO-ed

Alas, when the PM settled down to begin watching them the other night, he found there was a problem.
    The films only worked in DVD players made in North America and the words "wrong region" came up on his screen. Although he mournfully had to put the popcorn away, he is unlikely to jeopardise the special relationship or "special partnership", as we are now supposed to call it by registering a complaint.

A Downing Street spokesman said he was "confident" that any gift Obama gave Brown would have been "well thought through," but referred me to the White House for assistance on the "technical aspects".
    A White House spokesman sniggered when I put the story to him and he was still looking into the matter when my deadline came last night.
    By the way, when Obama's unlikely gift was disclosed, a reader emailed me to ask if Clueless was among the films. Funnily enough, it was not.
    Brown, on the other hand, presented a rather more thoughtful gift to the American President in the form of a penholder carved from the timbers of an anti-slavery ship. The sister ship, in fact, of the one that was broken up and turned into the desk in the Oval Office.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    A Downing Street spokesman said he was "confident" that any gift Obama gave Brown would have been "well thought through"
    LOL - Those Brits know how to use "Verbal Judo"

I guess he should have given the P.M. a DVD player that could play them.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

swaggon is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Zero experience in diplomacy. So far he has publicly outed his VP, His Sec. of State muffed that attempt at cuteness with the Russians, he stared down that reporter, this issue. These are rookie mistakes from a rookie. The president cannot vote present, he must "show up" to everything and his excellency is not used to doing that. His training stage "senator" he didnt take any side, he just voted "here" What have we done.
    Un-ass my AO!!

Thread Information