Welcome to the APBWeb.
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Terminator's Avatar
    Terminator is offline BANNED
    Join Date
    12-03-05
    Location
    None of your business
    Posts
    16,064
    Rep Power
    0

    Real Time: How Dangerous is the Hate Talk From the Right?

    This week thank goodness Bill Maher went back to his regular format of bringing all of the guests in together unlike last week's stinker of a show. Thank you Bill. The panel of Andrew Ross Sorkin, Kerry Washington, Bernie Sanders and Keith Olbermann discussed the hatred and outright craziness that's coming out of the likes of Glenn Beck and others on the right and the danger of whipping up some of the fringe elements of our society with their rhetoric.
    Maher: Listening to people like Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck these days, I cannot figure out whether these right wingers are more dangerous when they're in power or when they're out of power, because when they're out of power, you know their paranoid, their paranoia goes off the charts. This Glenn Beck guy, I wouldn't even give him the time of day except he's a big star now on Fox and a lot of people believe, and he's talking about FEMA concentration camps.
    Olbermann: Yeah...
    Maher: He says we are headed toward socialism, totalitarianism...
    Olbermann: Yeah...
    Maher:...beyond your wildest imagination, but apparently not beyond his wildest imagination.
    Washington: Right, right.
    Sorkin: Did you see what he said about that? He said I can't prove these FEMA concentration camps, but let me tell you about them anyway.
    Washington: Yeah, yeah.
    Sorkin: You'd think it would be the opposite.
    Olbermann: Can I quote Madeleine Albright?
    Maher: Please.
    Olbermann: He's nuts.
    Maher: You know I would never be the person who says that you have to watch what you say because some borderline nut...no really...I'm not for that. No, no, that's an argument that's given a lot. You can't say this because a borderline might take it and then do this. I'm sorry but that's the price of living in a free speech country and I do want to live in one because I make my living at it. Okay. But you know I must say Tim McVeigh in 1995 if you recall, this was the same kind of talking that made him blow up that building.
    Olbermann: The guy who walked into the church in Tennessee said in his statement to the police that he did this because he could not shoot the liberals who were on the lists from Bernie Goldberg, and Bernie Goldberg has proceeded to come out with another list of liberals and this time I'm on the list so this is even more vivid in my mind now. So yeah you're absolutely right about that. I think what you're seeing with, I mean I have been accused occasionally of sort of bordering on Howard Beale. Hey I got nothing on this guy for Howard Beale.
    This is, you know in the last major economic crisis of this nation we spewed forth Father Coughlin. Well this is Father Coughlin with a crew cut. This is Father Coughlin on TV. This is, he's, who knows what he's going to say next week because if we can't understand what he's saying now he also has that same threshold. He doesn't know what he's saying now. It just sounds great. It's wonderful. It is a manic depressive high.
    They go on to discuss how irresponsible Rupert Murdoch and Roger Ailes are and just how much of what comes out of their mouths some of these right wing yappers even believe, and how much is them just being willing to sell themselves to the highest bidder.

  2. #2
    Xiphos's Avatar
    Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    03-09-08
    Location
    Thermopylae
    Posts
    8,378
    Rep Power
    7772239
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

    That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

    If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

    I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

    Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

  3. #3
    pgg's Avatar
    pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    06-16-08
    Location
    Fled the Emerald Triangle
    Posts
    10,992
    Rep Power
    4007680
    As far as I can tell, the "right wingers" are still mild compared to the Bush haters over the last few years.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

  4. #4
    MonsterMash's Avatar
    MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    Join Date
    05-04-06
    Posts
    1,040
    Rep Power
    3454275
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    As far as I can tell, the "right wingers" are still mild compared to the Bush haters over the last few years.
    Its OK to hate, as long as you hate the "right" things. Unless you are marching in lockstep towards Obama's communist dream, you are hated.
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

  5. #5
    Rhino's Avatar
    Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-08-07
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,524
    Rep Power
    1750834
    I'm just glad Bill Maher has stopped calling himself Libertarian. Since his President got elected, he's been another sock puppet for the socialist left. Bill Maher is about offensive to me as if Osama Bin Laden started touring the TV circuit calling himself an American.

    I want to grab him by the neck and explain to him that just because he wants pot to legalized, it doesn't make him a Libertarian. You actually have to be anti-socialist in all things.

    Commie bastard.

    As for Glenn Beck or Rush Limaugh, I haven't heard anything they say that sounds nearly as hypocritcal or outrageous as some of the things Maher and Olberman have said.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

  6. #6
    MonsterMash's Avatar
    MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    Join Date
    05-04-06
    Posts
    1,040
    Rep Power
    3454275
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    I'm just glad Bill Maher has stopped calling himself Libertarian. Since his President got elected, he's been another sock puppet for the socialist left. Bill Maher is about offensive to me as if Osama Bin Laden started touring the TV circuit calling himself an American.

    I want to grab him by the neck and explain to him that just because he wants pot to legalized, it doesn't make him a Libertarian. You actually have to be anti-socialist in all things.

    Commie bastard.

    As for Glenn Beck or Rush Limaugh, I haven't heard anything they say that sounds nearly as hypocritcal or outrageous as some of the things Maher and Olberman have said.
    I like Beck. He tells it like it is.
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

  7. #7
    Terminator's Avatar
    Terminator is offline BANNED
    Join Date
    12-03-05
    Location
    None of your business
    Posts
    16,064
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    I'm just glad Bill Maher has stopped calling himself Libertarian. Since his President got elected, he's been another sock puppet for the socialist left. Bill Maher is about offensive to me as if Osama Bin Laden started touring the TV circuit calling himself an American.

    I want to grab him by the neck and explain to him that just because he wants pot to legalized, it doesn't make him a Libertarian. You actually have to be anti-socialist in all things.

    Commie bastard.

    As for Glenn Beck or Rush Limaugh, I haven't heard anything they say that sounds nearly as hypocritcal or outrageous as some of the things Maher and Olberman have said.

    I agree.

  8. #8
    Terminator's Avatar
    Terminator is offline BANNED
    Join Date
    12-03-05
    Location
    None of your business
    Posts
    16,064
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMash View Post
    I like Beck. He tells it like it is.

    Me too. His show on Fox News at 5 pm during the weekday, has been a big hit. I DVR it.

  9. #9
    Billy Mack's Avatar
    Billy Mack is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    11-03-07
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    70
    Rep Power
    48930
    Generally, I'm a huge proponent of free speech. I figure the best thing that knuckleheads can do is to spew their stuff out where everyone can hear it.

    The alternative could make them want to try to do something extreme to get their message out. I think free speech has been one of the big things that has kept terrorism in this country to a minimum.

    I don't listen to Limbaugh. When I used to watch his show, he seemed like an idiot who was pandering to the ignorant. As a conservative, I found it to be insulting.

  10. #10
    CTR man's Avatar
    CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    05-20-06
    Location
    Ceres, CA
    Posts
    4,965
    Rep Power
    1169036
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMash View Post
    I like Beck. He tells it like it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Me too. His show on Fox News at 5 pm during the weekday, has been a big hit. I DVR it.
    He also is a big hit on AM Talk Radio. I listen when I can. When ever he is on.


    Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

    Not a LEO

    In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.









  11. #11
    sgtbear111's Avatar
    sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-23-07
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    1,096
    Rep Power
    1013300
    Hate talk ? Just another redefined label for disagreement, from the writers of The Dictionary of Group Speak (this morning's edition).
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

    Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

    The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •