Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Obama doubles down on the bow to the Saudi King

The White House is denying that President Obama bowed before the Saudi King, committing a major mistake. Ben Smith of Politico reports:

"It wasn't a bow. He grasped his hand with two hands, and he's taller than King Abdullah," said an Obama aide, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.
    Michael Goldfarb summed up the problem for Obama succinctly in the Weekly Standard:

So who you going to believe -- Barack Obama or your ?
    The story is officially "in play" now that the White House has spoken, albeit from an anonymous source. American citizens are implicitly asked to view the demi-prostration and decide for themselves. The evidence simply does not support the official position of the Obama administration.

Here is a 13 second clip of the bow:

Please note the following two freeze frames, which expose the White House spokesman as a liar:

Another freeze frame, also showing that the President was not performing a two-handed handshake

So why would the White House lie, instead of just admitting that the President made a gaffe? Well, for one thing, history teaches us that bows between official representatives of nations are a rather serious matter.

We live in an age of a Clash of Civilizations (in Samuel Huntington's words), with many in the Islamic world convinced that Western Civilization, ascendant for the last few centuries, is about to be humbled by Islam, the once and future dominant force in the world. No Caliph exists today as head of the entire Islamic world, but the number two slot is amply occupied by King Abdullah, as guardian of Mecca and Medina, Islam's two holiest cities.

Over three hundred years ago, another world civilization accustomed to being the largest and richest on earth, faced a challenge which turned into a clash, which turned into a fall. China, the Middle Kingdom, unquestioned as the dominant nation of East Asia, came into regular contact with the Western nations. At the time, the only pattern of diplomatic relations recognized by the Son of Heaven (China's emperor) and his court was that of tributary emissaries to the Middle Kingdom. Japan, Korea, Vietnam, and the other nations of East Asia understood and accepted that China was dominant, and when their representatives came to Beijing, they performed the required prostration acknowledging their (and their rulers') subordinate place in the pecking order. They also brought "gifts" to the Son of Heaven, and were sent home with "gifts" from the Imperial Court, amounting to trade, disguised as nothing so crass as commerce, but rather as a sign of supplication from them and benevolence from the Emperor.

In plain English, if you wanted to be received and recognized as legitimate at the Imperial Court, you had better bow down before the Emperor in a kow tow. prostrating oneself before the glorious ruler, and touching the head to the floor.

This was not an idle matter of protocol, and everyone knew it, especially the emissaries of European rulers who made their way to Beijing, in search of trade relations: tea, silk, porcelain, and other products of China that were of finer quality than anything available elsewhere.

One of the most famous incidents in China's history of contact with the West occurred in 1793, when the Earl of Macartney came to Beijing as an emissary of the King of England, carried to Tientsin (the port city for Beijing) on a warship. The Chinese officials deemed the presents he brought to the Emperor from King George III as "tribute", putting the Macartney mission in the context of traditional tribute relations.

But when it came to the kow tow, Macartney refused. In the words of the acknowledged dean of American China historians, the late John K. Fairbank of Harvard,

[Court officials] urged Macartney to practice the performance of the kowtow. This he stoutly refused to do, and he only went down on one knee before the Chien-lung [the Emperor], as he would have done to his own sovereign. The emperor issued an edict commending King George III for his "respectful spirit of submission" but pointing out that "our celestial empire possesses all things in prolific abundance"...
    Ben Smith noted a somewhat analogous response from Saudi Arabia, following the fateful bow:

Interestingly, a columnist in the Saudi-backed Arabic paper Asharq Alawsat also took the gesture as a bow and appreciated the move.

"Obama wished to demonstrate his respect and appreciation of the personality of King Abdullah Bin Abdulaziz, who has made one of the most important calls in the modern era, namely the call for inter-faith and inter-cultural dialogue to defuse the hatred, conflict and wars," wrote the columnist, Muhammah Diyab.
    Alas for the Son of Heaven and his nation, the Opium War followed a few years after the demi-prostration of the British envoy, and it was established that China was subordinate to the cannons, guns, and warships of the Western powers, who proceeded to help themselves to China's wealth, sending opium [over China's feeble objections] in return for what they desired.
    President Obama voluntarily bent his knee and bowed his head before the most important ruler in the Islamic world. Let us hope that it does not require a war to right this insult to American sovereignty.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I either saw a bow. There is no way to lie out of that one.

I know nothing about protocol but common sense tells me that you do not bow to ANYONE, as the US President, unless it is in return for such a greeting or honor. Is there not somebody charged with supplying Obama with protocol when visiting other countries?
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    I either saw a bow. There is no way to lie out of that one.

I know nothing about protocol but common sense tells me that you do not bow to ANYONE, as the US President, unless it is in return for such a greeting or honor. Is there not somebody charged with supplying Obama with protocol when visiting other countries?
    Yeah , the State Department. Nuff said.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Sure look like he was bowing to me. Maybe its to show that we aren't as arrogant anymore
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Is there not somebody charged with supplying Obama with protocol when visiting other countries?
    There was an etiquette expert who was serving since Clinton but they were fired with the rest of the house cleaning the Obama's did when they moved in. Idiots. All that executive experience he has.

I would have at least respected some honesty that a mistake was made. Instead they lie to me like I'm a fucking idiot and don't know what a bow is. Assholes.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Caveman is offline Something Smells Kinda Funny
    Verified LEO
    Come on...Maybe it really wasn't a bow after all.
    Maybe the Saudi King was trying to finally hand Obama over that elusive birth certificate of his and accidentally dropped it in the process.
    Obama was just picking it up off the floor.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Will Durant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Member

Since Jan. 2009

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO

conditioned response

I would consider the bow a conditioned response to authority figures from someone raised and educated as a Muslim. In a Muslim Madrossa, a young man would be whipped or beaten for infractions of expected manners or not showing respect for his 'betters'. So where was he really educated, and by whom?

Stiill missing a real birth certifcate, now this outright LIE about 'handshakes".

"Manchurian Candidate" the bow was a conditioned response to the mental re-programmers, and acceptance of orders ...........Old movie that may be relevant agan?

More lies - Is this Bill Clinton's 3rd term by proxy?
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    "Welcome back, Carter"
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I knew that smile of his had something to do with it.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

GASheepdog is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Definitely a bow, and a deep, awkward looking bow at that.
    Be kind, be courteous . . .

and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Americans are the only English speaking people who do not bow to Kings or Queens, and apparently he forgot the reason for that.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    YES HE BOWED!!! But my question is: where is the teleprompter? We all know he can't squat without being told to do so.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Americans are the only English speaking people who do not bow to Kings or Queens, and apparently he forgot the reason for that.
    Because he is a doofus?

Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    YES HE BOWED!!! But my question is: where is the teleprompter? We all know he can't squat without being told to do so.
    That's a big + 1.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    Maybe it was between the king's feet?
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Maybe it was between the king's feet?
    Ya think?

Not a LEO

Thread Information