In a New York Post interview published yesterday, former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani sharply criticized the push to legalize same-sex marriage in New York state:
"This will create a grass-roots movement. This is the kind of issue that, in many ways, is somewhat beyond politics," said Giuliani, a two-term mayor who unsuccessfully sought the GOP presidential nomination last year. [...]
"Marriage, I believe, both traditionally and legally, has always been between a man and a woman and should remain between a man and woman," said Giuliani, who has been married three times.
New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg stood by Paterson's side when the governor made his announcement about the marriage equality legislation on April 16. Today, ThinkProgress sat down with the mayor and asked him to respond to his predecessor's comments:
BLOOMBERG: You know, Rudy has a right to his views. I think the polls say that -- there's a new poll out today that says a majority of New Yorkers are in favor of same-sex marriage.
My personal view -- and I've had this for as long as I've thought about the issue -- is that it's not the government's business who you love and who you marry. And I don't think that it stands anybody in good interest to have the government involved. ... I do think that the more you believe in something, the more important it is to you that the government stay out of these social issues.

A Siena poll released yesterday finds that by a margin of 53 to 39 percent, New Yorkers "believe the Senate should pass marriage-equality legislation introduced last week by Gov. David A. Paterson." The state Assembly has already gone on record supporting a similar measured introduced by then-governor Eliot Spitzer in 2007, but in the state Senate, several Republicans will have to switch sides in order for the measure to pass.