Welcome to the APBWeb.
    countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Dems seek 94.2 Billion for War Effort

After all the hellraising about not funding the war (under a Republican President), how times have changed now...

House Democrats seek $94.2 billion in emergency funds

Mon May 4, 2009 4:31pm EDT
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democrats in the U.S. House of Representatives will seek passage in coming weeks of $94.2 billion in emergency money for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and other programs, including $2 billion more to prepare for an influenza pandemic.

House Appropriations Committee Chairman David Obey, outlining the legislation for reporters, also said the legislation would include $2.2 billion to fund some C-17 airplanes for the Pentagon. But it will not address future purchases of a refueling tanker airplane sought by the Air Force.

Obey said $80 million to close the U.S. prison in Guantanamo, Cuba, would not be included in the bill because no details were provided by the administration on how that move would be carried out.

Last month, President Barack Obama asked Congress to give him $83.4 billion more to pay for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. He is hoping to use the money to begin phasing out combat operations in Iraq while building up U.S. forces in Afghanistan where al Qaeda and Taliban fighters are gaining strength.

The Pentagon wants the U.S. Congress to approve the money promptly, before a congressional recess that is scheduled to start at the end of May.

(Reporting by Jeremy Pelofsky and Richard Cowan, Editing by Sandra Maler)

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

MacLean is online now O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We can't have our SEAL sharpshooter President look like he loses a war - Americans would never stand for it.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Thread Information