Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Gov. Schwarzenegger: Time To Debate Legalizing Pot in California

In the last week or two, proposals to legalize medical marijuana have advanced in Minnesota, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island.

But Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has taken a significant step further, saying on Tuesday that it's time to debate legalizing marijuana for recreational use in California.

"I think it's time for debate," he said in response to a reporter's question. "I think all of those ideas of creating extra revenues -- I'm always for an open debate on it."

Thanks to a 1996 ballot measure, medical marijuana is already legal under California law, though local officials have substantial discretion. Although that conflicts with federal law, the Obama administration has chosen not to target California medical marijuana dispensaries.

"Most Californians support the idea of making marijuana legal," Aaron Smith, the California policy director for the Marijuana Policy Project, told CBSNews.com. "Right now, the state is in a budget fiasco that not going to go away soon... It's about time they look outside the box at ways of generating revenue."

State legislator Tom Ammiano, a San Francisco Democrat, introduced a bill in February to legalize recreational marijuana. Bill AB 390 would license "commercial cultivators of marijuana" and establish a complicated web of regulations and tax rules they and retailers must follow.

It could raise over $1.2 billion a year in new tax revenues, assuming a $50-an-ounce tax, according to one analysis.

"This is only going to increase the governor's popularity," Smith said. "We have solid polling data showing that a majority of Californians are ready for this. It's a good political move, though I don't think he necessarily did it for those reasons alone."

A Field poll (PDF) released on April 30th found that 56 percent of the state's registered voters support legalizing marijuana and taxing its proceeds. Quote:

"I think it's time for a debate," he said. "I think all of those ideas of creating extra revenues, I'm always for an open debate on it."

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Oh Geez, Not THIS again.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    $50 an ounce?

The Governator has been smoking something.

Nobody is going to pay a $50 per ounce tax when they can buy the whole ounce for as low as $110 in growth areas.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

2525 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Yeah, because legalizing alcohol sure reduced the number of drunk drivers out there. Not to mention the other problems that come with it.
    "The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly."

"The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer. "

“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
    Yeah, because legalizing alcohol sure reduced the number of drunk drivers out there. Not to mention the other problems that come with it.

+1
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Thread Information