Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

John Murtha opponent says aide threatened him

The Republican who challenged Rep. John Murtha in 2008 says a top aide to the embattled Pennsylvania Democrat threatened to have him recalled to active duty in the U.S. Army so he could be court-martialed for engaging in politics while serving in the armed forces.

Bill Russell — who challenged Murtha in 2008 and intends to do so again in 2010 — said Murtha chief of staff John Hugya made the threat during a National Rifle Association event in mid-March.

Ret. Col. Gregory Ritch, a former Army Reserve officer who served as Russell’s commanding officer, said he heard Hugya make a similar threat in January.

“[Hugya] said, ‘When the [new] secretary of the Army comes in, we’re going to call his ass back to active duty and we’re going to prosecute him under the [Uniform Code of Military Justice],’” Ritch said Hugya told him during their January conversation.

Ritch said he reported the incident to a military lawyer at that time, although he didn’t think Hugya was serious until Russell informed him of the second threat in March.
    Murtha spokesman Matthew Mazonkey said the charges — first reported by the Johnstown Tribune-Democrat — were spurious, and he noted that the issue of whether Russell was improperly campaigning while still on active military duty was raised during the campaign last year.

Russell was on active duty for part of the campaign — from April 2008 to June 2008 — but then retired and was no longer in the Army Reserves during the remainder of the race.

Ethics experts said the comments attributed to Hugya — while unseemly — don’t present a clear-cut ethics violation.

“Look, there’s a certain rough-and-tumble in politics,” said Stan Brand, a former House general counsel. “I don’t know whether this crosses any ethical line that I’m aware of. The practice of politics is robust, but I know of no precedent.”

Mazonkey said that neither Hugya nor anyone else in Murtha’s office contacted the Pentagon about Russell.

Russell said Hugya approached him at an NRA event in March and said, “I got something for you. What are you going to do when we get the new secretary of the Army seated and have your ass recalled to active duty for that s—- you pulled last summer?”

Russell said that he and Hugya then engaged in a nasty exchange over comments Murtha made in 2005 about the killing of 24 Iraqi civilians by U.S. Marines. Murtha, himself a former Marine colonel, alleged that the Marines had killed the civilians “in cold blood,” a claim that infuriated current and former Marines.

Russell said he was upset by Hugya’s comments at the NRA dinner and told some of his former military colleagues, including Ritch, the following day.Ritch said that when he heard about the second episode, he believed Hugya had crossed the line for behavior by a senior aide to a sitting lawmaker.

“Then I thought it was a threat,” Ritch said of Hugya’s comments directly to Russell. “I think Mr. Hugya crossed the line.”

Russell has sought to exploit his March run-in with Hugya, and Hugya’s earlier comments to Ritch, by using the incidents as part of his fundraising appeal in his second bid to topple Murtha. Despite millions of dollars of spending by Republicans, Murtha defeated Russell, 58 percent to 42 percent.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Murtha is a slimy POS that should be thrown out on his ass
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    Murtha is a slimy POS that should be thrown out on his ass
    ......and from what I hear, a disgrace to the Marine Corps.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    He is widely dismissed by USMC associations and groups for his improper words and stance on Haiditha.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    ......and from what I hear, a disgrace to the Marine Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by Morris View Post
    He is widely dismissed by USMC associations and groups for his improper words and stance on Haiditha.

I have been told by several Marines, including my brother, that once you are a Marine you are one for life. In other words, there are no former Marines. I say bullshit to that. John Murtha could not hack it in a troop of Webelo Scouts. I mean no offense to any Webelo Scouts, I was one many years ago.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Funny. Friends and family who are Marines think he shed that honor long ago. They don't like him one bit.

Captain America is online now Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    "Mr." Murtha displays none of the traditonal, honorable traits I admire in Jarheads. He displays all of the traits of a anti-military, blame America first, left wing liberal Democratic politician. In short, he's a self-centered ,self- important asshole. Liberals like him believe no one should have power or authority unless it's him.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris View Post
    Funny. Friends and family who are Marines think he shed that honor long ago. They don't like him one bit.
    Interesting, there is a certain Navy SEAL that seems to be following in his footsteps.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Thread Information