Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Last rights

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO

Last rights

A thread in the verified forum brought this question to mind:

A lot of us officers and deputies have found ourselves with people who are about to die, whether it's giving CPR trying to keep someone alive, or (as in my case) holding an unconscious man after a crash, watching him wake up and stare me in the eyes for a second, then die.

My question is this, what are the "rules" of giving last rites (thanks for the spelling fix)? I'd thought about doing it on that crash but I really don't know how or what to say.

Reverend Term?
    Last edited by ChesCopPodz; 06-24-09 at 09:13 PM. Reason: I learned to speel real good like
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    A thread in the verified forum brought this question to mind:

A lot of us officers and deputies have found ourselves with people who are about to die, whether it's giving CPR trying to keep someone alive, or (as in my case) holding an unconscious man after a crash, watching him wake up and stare me in the eyes for a second, then die.

My question is this, what are the "rules" of giving last rights? I'd thought about doing it on that crash but I really don't know how or what to say.

Reverend Term?
    Giving last RITES should only be given by a Minister, Priest or Rabbi. However, depending on your religious beliefs, I would say something, if nor more then to feel good about it and let the deceased family know someone did something and thinking about them. Just be careful you on't step on toes, like giving a Jewish prayer to a Muslum, or something like that.

I know that most Depts have a lay Preacher, Decon or even a Chaplain in their dept so you may want to check with them for guidance.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I think giving a generic prayer would be appropriate, regardless of the religion of the recipient. I know I've done that before, and I'll do it again if the need to arises.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Thread Information