Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford Admits Affair

During the battle to reject bail out money I thought he has some promise in '12. He's flaked out now though.

Sanford admits affair
    South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford admits affair - Andy Barr - POLITICO.com
    By: Andy Barr
    June 24, 2009 02:38 PM EST

South Carolina GOP Gov. Mark Sanford admitted Wednesday to an affair, and resigned his position as chair of the Republican Governor's Association following a strange week in which the governor dropped off the grid and could not be located.

“I have been unfaithful to my wife. I developed a relationship with what started out as a dear, dear friend from Argentina,” Sanford said in a rambling and often emotional news conference at the state capital in Columbia.

“I’m a bottom line kind of guy I’m just gonna lay it out. It’s gonna hurt and I’m going to let the chips fall where they may,” Sanford said.

Sanford apologized to his wife, Jenny, and his children. “To Jenny, anybody who has observed her over the last 40 years of my life knows how closely she has stood by my side in campaign, after campaign, after campaign,” he said.

“I’ve let down a lot of people, and that’s the bottom line,” he said.

Sanford said his family did know about the affair before his trip to Argentina, and that he had spoken with his father in law about the situation

Asked if he and his wife had separated, Sanford responded, “I don’t know how you want to define that. She’s there, I’m here.”

“What I did was wrong, period,” he said. “I spent the last five days crying in Argentina.”

The governor said that his staff did not deserve blame for giving misleading statements about his whereabouts to the press - first that he was off writing and then that he was hiking the Appalachian Trail. “That’s my fault in shrouding this larger trip,” Sanford said. “I just said, ‘Hey guys, this is where I’m gonna go.’ ”

The announcement was the latest twist in a story that began as a mystery but now has turned into a fiasco for Sanford, whose staff provided a series of increasingly confusing cover stories when his whereabouts became the subject of global news coverage.

“I don’t know how this thing got blown out of proportion,” the governor told The State newspaper of Columbia, S.C., after he landed at the Atlanta airport Wednesday morning.

Sanford, a conservative Republican who had a promising future in national politics, is now not only the butt of jokes but has serious questions to answer about the bizarre series of events.

Some of Sanford’s critics attacked the governor for making no arrangements for executive decisions in his absence, such as mobilizing the National Guard in case of catastrophe or advocating for the state with Washington if an emergency struck the coast.

Journalists covering the story had nearly universal doubts about the narrative put out by his office. The trail on the governor went cold at the Atlanta airport, which is not a logical place to go to start hiking the Appalachian Trail.

The State said in a story posted around 8:30 a.m. that Sanford had arrived Wednesday morning at Atlanta’s Hartsville-Jackson International Airport after what he says was an extended visit to Buenos Aires.

When the story first broke Monday, both Sanford’s staff and his wife, Jenny, said the governor had taken leave to do some writing and needed to get some time “to get away from the kids” after the conclusion of a contentious legislative session.

Then on Monday night, Sanford’s staff sought to clear up the matter by offering a plausible explanation for why he might be out of contact with his office — the governor was hiking the Appalachian Trail. But his office declined to state his location on the approximately 2,175-mile trail.

As it turns out, Sanford explained Wednesday that he decided to do “something exotic” and take an extended trip to Buenos Aires.

Asked by The State why his staff and wife said he was on the Appalachian Trail, Sanford responded “I don’t know.” The governor added that “in fairness to his staff” he told them that he might go hiking on the Appalachian Trail.

Since Monday, the story has been driven by some of Sanford’s harshest critics in the state, including Republican state Sen. Jake Knotts and Republican Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer.

Asked for his response Thursday on MSNBC to the news that Sanford had been in Argentina and not hiking on the Appalachian Trail, Knotts said, “Coverup, coverup. Lies, lies, lies. His staff lied — they didn't know where he was. I don't believe a word that comes out of that office.”
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    MS Gov. Haley Barbour is taking over as Chairman of the RGA now.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    What a shithead. He should resign from his position as Governor, immediately.

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    This is so sad. Its my homestate and while I dont reside there anymore, I keep tabs on whats happening. This is the same governor that REFUSED stimulus money for the schools in the state, even though it would have meant that nearly 1/4 of the entire states teachers would have been without a job, numerous schools across the state would have closed or had to seriously cut back on materials for the children.

He has (in my opinion) maintained a very aloof demeanor from the rest of the state, even going so far to make comments about his younger days of working on "a plantation" in the state. I honestly feel that he has no connection with the citizens of the state and it shows when you look at how poorly the state stacks up with the rest of the nation.

I hope that he gets stuck with the bill for the trip...while my state is close to the top of the nation with unemployment, he decided to go on his horny fueled trip to see his Latin temptress.
    "Sometimes people need a little help. Sometimes people need to be forgiven. And sometimes they need to go to jail."

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Moron.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    It's really a sad thing to have happen. Sanford appeared to be a breath of fresh air in the political arena. He appeared to have some common sense and would stand on a good ethical platform.

Silly me- after all is said and done, he's just another politician.
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    She must be awesome in the sack because she has that dumbass all kinds of f'ed up.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Thread Information