Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Terminator is offline BANNED

South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford: I will not resign from office

In an interview with NBC News this morning, Gov. Mark Sanford (R) said categorically he will not resign as governor of South Carolina.

He said he intends to spend the last 18 months of his term improving his approach to proposing legislation.

He says he has consulted with a number of friends and spiritual advisers. All encouraged him to stay in office, which he says now he will do.

Now that he's been caught, he will pay back the taxpayers for the transportation to and from his mistress's bed.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    If Bill Clinton stayed in office, then why should Sanford resign?

I'm sick and tired of seeing Republicans resign or drummed out of office over crap like this, yet Democrats typically stay in office, and I think it actually boosts their ratings within the party. The public will have an opportunity to throw him out in the next election.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If you refuse to take the stimulus money, you'd better be squeaky clean...

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    If you refuse to take the stimulus money, you'd better be squeaky clean...

Glad someone else noticed that.

There are no coincidences.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Well, I'm one of those pesky republicans who thinks Sanford should resign immediately.

Yes, I do believe his anti-Obama stimulus stance brought the loony left out against him. But if he wasn't cheating on his wife this wouldn't be happening.

You can't be the preacher of morality while you're neglecting your family and Governor duties while getting pussy with state money (AKA: visiting with your Mistress out of the country, in Argentina). As a congressman, Sanford voted in favor of three of four articles of impeachment against President Bill Clinton, citing the need for "moral legitimacy." Double standard, much? In fact he only publicly came forward after a reporter caught him at the airport in Atlanta coming back in to the country (the looney left, no doubt) and interviewed him. One can't say the marital issue is a private matter when it effects his role as Governor, as this did...otherwise, it'd be easier to swallow from a political perspective. He left the state, NO ONE knew where he was...oh, and by the way...if an emergency happened then the state was screwed because South Carolina is one of those states where the Governor HAS to relinquish power to the Lieutenant Governor specifically, and that wasn't done here. So everyone was powerless except the Governor who was out of the country for five days and couldn't be reached.

I think Governor Sanford is doing his state and the republican party a HUGE disservice by not resigning. Everytime the republican party gains ground on the demorats, something like this happens...

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    I think Governor Sanford is doing his state and the republican party a HUGE disservice by not resigning. Everytime the republican party gains ground on the demorats, something like this happens...
    Yep... But I'm just glad that he wasn't propositioning men in the airport restroom like the other one.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Well, I'm one of those pesky republicans who thinks Sanford should resign immediately.

Yes, I do believe his anti-Obama stimulus stance brought the loony left out against him. But if he wasn't cheating on his wife this wouldn't be happening.
    Not disagreeing.

Just pointing out that there are operatives out looking for dirty Republicans.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Not disagreeing.

Just pointing out that there are operatives out looking for dirty Republicans.

Oh, I agree. The Obama-Reed-Pelosi types want to squash anyone who differs from there ideas and challenges them.

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I may catch flack for this, but, If you ain"t from here, it ain't none of your business what Sanford does. Now if your are from SC, flame away, but if your from Yankeeland, the Left Coast or such, look in your own back yiards first.

Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    I may catch flack for this, but, If you ain"t from here, it ain't none of your business what Sanford does. Now if your are from SC, flame away, but if your from Yankeeland, the Left Coast or such, look in your own back yiards first.

I think that's a rather stupid statement. Everyone has the right to there opinion. Here's mine: It's attitudes like you've shown in the above statement which have held the south back for years from progressing as much as it could.

I don't know if you consider that 'flack,' though, but I'm just being honest.

GASheepdog is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    What Sanford has done will affect the perception of the Republican party everywhere, possibly to the detriment of republicans in upcoming races. CNN has made a point to underscore this point: Will recent GOP sex scandals affect upcoming races? - CNN.com
    Be kind, be courteous . . .

and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    So, while we are all focused on a SC governor who got his knob polished internationally, we are getting it up the keester here at home with a Cap and Trade ($2T tax bill), about to let the fed determine how (and when) we qualify for health care, and will have to pay double for lightbulbs that are more 'efficient'...

Our former president could romp around with an intern in the oval orafice, and that was his 'personal business', but let a governor roll out on a booty call in Argentina and its a national disgrace.

Our priorities are certainly in order...

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

So, while we are all focused on a SC governor who got his knob polished internationally, we are getting it up the keester here at home with a Cap and Trade ($2T tax bill), about to let the fed determine how (and when) we qualify for health care, and will have to pay double for lightbulbs that are more 'efficient'...
    We're a nation of ADD. We're impatient, and can only focus on one major thing at a time. Which is unfortunate, because this story shouldn't make us lose focus of other stories.

The democrats (and 6 republicans) are hoping the Sanford scandal WILL distract the world from there Cap and Trade bill. Let's hope not. This bill is something the voters need to be familiar with.

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Sanford gets his ashes hauled and everyone wants to lynch him.

Ted Kennedy kills a young lady while DUI, gets covered up and Zilch - No screams to resign, etc.

Barnie Frank has a gay prostution ring operating out of his apartment in DC and -- zilch.

Clinton - well except for bad press and lying, etc., he remained in office until his term expired.

Nancy Peloci llies to the public and - nothing

Think of all the scandles over the last few years and who cheated on who, etc so why pick on Sanford? Besides who else if he resigns - Andre Bauer? (the Lt Gov) God what a disaster. Besides, if the New York Times calles for his resignation - more the reason to stay. Who made him a raising star in the Republican Party (after all he is really a lLibertain) - the Media. Ain't no way he could be a Presidental Canadate.

Now, for him to resign - its up to the people, not Jakie Knotts (who is a big fat Boss Hogg who gives Rednecks a bad name). If they impeach him, that the working of the LAW, not a bunch of hysterical rantings. So, your opinion is yours, and mine is mine. No offense, just my feelings.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Yankeeland? Really?

Newsflash, y'all lost. Dispense with the "yankeeland" stuff, it detracts from anything intelligent you might have to say.

The Republican party is national business, and if the governor is exposed by liberal operatives as he sticks it in his south American mistress, it becomes national news.

If you have read the posts in the thread, I think you will find most of us agree with regarding the double standards.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The democrats (and 6 republicans) are hoping the Sanford scandal WILL distract the world from there Cap and Trade bill. Let's hope not. This bill is something the voters need to be familiar with.
    One of those Republicans just cancelled his ticket to the party.

Reichert, who represents me in the 8th, should be listening to the local talk radio stations.

The calls run ten to one with the flavor of "he's a traitor, and he's done."

He was the former Sheriff of King County, and I supported him right up until that vote.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Newsflash, y'all lost.
    If you are referring to the War for Southern Independence, sir, I'd have to say to you that 'freedom' itself suffered a loss back in 1865... not just 'y'all'.

I would not go so far as to say that the South should have won, but I will state openly the following:

Much of the ills we suffer today are directly rooted in the death of Statesmanship, and the vigorous excersize of centralist bullying and quasi-totalitarianism which now flourishes in Washington D.C., and was perhaps never so obviously demonstrated than by the period of reconstruction. And I believe that our predecessors saw this coming so many years ago.

We are no longer governed by the 'spirit' of our foundational documents, but by a bastardization of them, "interpreted" and "legislated" by those who represent self-interests over the will of the people, and completely ignorant of there being a definitive concept of 'right' and 'wrong'.

Our founding fathers never intended what we have wrought. We have so far departed from the principles and values that secured this nation, that on any given day we see freedoms trickle away from us like sand through the bottleneck of an hourglass.

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If you are referring to the War for Southern Independence, sir, I'd have to say to you that 'freedom' itself suffered a loss back in 1865... not just 'y'all'.

I would not go so far as to say that the South should have won, but I will state openly the following:

Much of the ills we suffer today are directly rooted in the death of Statesmanship, and the vigorous excersize of centralist bullying and quasi-totalitarianism which now flourishes in Washington D.C., and was perhaps never so obviously demonstrated than by the period of reconstruction. And I believe that our predecessors saw this coming so many years ago.

We are no longer governed by the 'spirit' of our foundational documents, but by a bastardization of them, "interpreted" and "legislated" by those who represent self-interests over the will of the people, and completely ignorant of there being a definitive concept of 'right' and 'wrong'.

Our founding fathers never intended what we have wrought. We have so far departed from the principles and values that secured this nation, that on any given day we see freedoms trickle away from us like sand through the bottleneck of an hourglass.
    I am a serious fan of the tenth amendment. Preaching to the choir about State's rights - and the Constitution, upon which you and I agree typically.

That said, the civil war is over - the yankee this and yankee that does nothing to further serious efforts to maintain State's rights or any other discussion. I once read a post of yours where you took someone to task for calling some folks rednecks. I applauded that post, and stand by mine.

Division between regions is silly as we have people in office who are actively attempting to disassemble our country.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I am a serious fan of the tenth amendment. Preaching to the choir about State's rights - and the Constitution, upon which you and I agree typically.

That said, the civil war is over - the yankee this and yankee that does nothing to further serious efforts to maintain State's rights or any other discussion. I once read a post of yours where you took someone to task for calling some folks rednecks. I applauded that post, and stand by mine.

Division between regions is silly as we have people in office who are actively attempting to disassemble our country.
    Agreed.

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I've lived in the south and I've lived in the North. Doesn't really matter where you are the fact remains, if he did it on the people's dime then he should step down, if he did it on his own dime, it's his personal business. Unfortunately the press being what it is has made it so his wife suffers public humiliation.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information