Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Poll shows tight race for 2012 GOP nomination, between Huckabee, Palin, and Romney

(CNN) The Republican presidential primary process doesn't kick off for more than two years, but perhaps it's never too early to take a measure of where a race that's far from starting stands.
    It appears to be a three-way race between former White House hopeful Mitt Romney, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, and Mike Huckabee also an ex-presidential aspirant. Romney stands at 26 percent in the new survey, compared to 21 percent for Palin, and 19 percent for Huckabee.
    But the poll, which surveyed 455 Republicans and Republican-leaning voters between July 10-12, carries a margin of error of plus or minus 5 percentage points, meaning all three are essentially locked in a dead heat.
    Newt Gingrich, the former House Speaker and current conservative commentator stands at 14 percent while Tim Pawlenty and Haley Barbour the governors of Minnesota and Mississippi respectively are each in low single digits.
    The Gallup survey shows similar results to those of a recent CNN poll that also indicated the same three Republicans are locked in hypothetical race for the party's nomination.
    But while Romney, Palin, and Huckabee are clustered on top, the survey shows voters hold a much higher favorability rating of the soon-to-be ex-Alaska governor than the other two Republicans. Palin scores a 72 percent approval rating compared with Huckabee's 59 percent and Romeny's 56 percent.

Though Palin, who has firmly remained in the headlines since she was tapped to be the party's vice presidential candidate last August, appears considerably better known than both men: only 7 percent of Republicans have no opinion of her compared to 28 percent who said the same of Romney and 25 percent who lacked a view of Huckabee.
    Of course, polls more than two years before an election are far from predictive: A Gallup survey in 2005 showed Hillary Clinton would win the 2008 Democratic nomination over John Kerry while Rudy Giuliani would edge out McCain on the Republican side. President Obama was not included in the poll.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If Huckabee can conservative up a bit, I'll support him.

Palin shot her foot off resigning from the Governor's job.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    If Huckabee can conservative up a bit, I'll support him.

Palin shot her foot off resigning from the Governor's job.
    I love Huck, I hope he can bring da noise in 2012.

And I agree Mac, Palin screwed herself out of the position by resigning. Fox news for some reason though, believes this is part of a "master plan" that will line her up wonderfully for the job. I don't get it though.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Yep, Palin will probably never live that down, unless she comes up with a very important job real quick, one that benefits the country as a whole. Going on a speaking tour for profit will further dig her hole.

I would still like to see Newt Gingrich run. I have always thought he was Presidential material - He can also win debates, does his homework on everything he talks about, and is a "true believer". His passion would electrify the party base.

Some people say he's crippled by ethics charges, but those were as much BS as the charges against Palin. They had to do with the book deal and not setting up his non-profit organization correctly to fund the college political science and history classes he taught, which some say are political in nature and thus didn't qualify for tax exemptions.

Hell, every Political Science class I had in High School and College was political in nature, slanted the other way. All the instructors' employers were tax exempt (state college) - What's the difference? I don't think Newt even charged the college for most of the classes, he was paid a modest amount through his nonprofit org. He could have earned much more on the lecture circuit, or being a news consultant like he is doing now.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    I would still like to see Newt Gingrich run. I have always thought he was Presidential material - He can also win debates, does his homework on everything he talks about, and is a "true believer". His passion would electrify the party base.
    I love Newt, and would vote for him in a heartbeat. I would love a Gingrich/Huckabee ticket.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    No mention of ron paul huh

Or McCain for that matter
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    No mention of ron paul huh

Or McCain for that matter
    Obviously you never got the memo from DHS - Ron Paul supporters are all domestic terrorists.

I have a copy of the bulletin from them to prove it.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    Obviously you never got the memo from DHS - Ron Paul supporters are all domestic terrorists.

I have a copy of the bulletin from them to prove it.
    Ron Paul will never be considered a major republican front runner for the GOP nomination. That's why he wasn't listed. His chances of winning are zero...like it or not. Which obviously some don't.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Newt is far too intelligent to be a candidate.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I think Palin resigned so she could raise more money and increase exposure in the lower 48. I don't have anything to prove this with, it is just my opinion. Huckabee and the FairTax are by far my first choice. His talk circuit is preparing him for debates and handling the media. I just can't make myself trust Romney. Newt is by far smarter than any two politicians at any given time. However, his past commercials with Pelosi regarding greenhouse gas emissions concerned me.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Thread Information