Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Do you believe gays & lesbians will go to heaven?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 57.14%
  • No

5 23.81%
  • I don't believe in heaven

4 19.05%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Do you believe gays & lesbians will go to heaven?

Do you believe gays & lesbians will go to heaven? Why or why not?

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I don't really beleve n Heaven, as descrbed n the bible - I think the bible was written by men, as was the Koran and all other holy books of the religions of earth. With so many differing opinions of what afterlife is, I would tend to think that NO ONE has it right.

As to whether there is some type of afterlife, maybe so, who knows. I don't think even the Pope knows for sure, as much as he believes he does.

I can live without knowing, just like I can live without knowing where the Universe came from. No one knows that for sure either.

In fact, no one really knows what "real" is... We already know that solid objects are 99.99999% empty space, sparsely occupied by atoms being held together by mysterious forces that we still don't really understand, and the atoms themselves are mostly empty space - A solid object is just an illusion, so maybe everything else is also an illusion. Even the universe itself is mostly empty space, but then the question begs, "what is empty space"? We don't know that either. We don't know shit when it comes down to it, and religion is a mechanism whereby people seek to explain what we don't know.

"Real" might be whatever the creator (if there is one) decides to program on his simulator - We might all just be bits and bytes in a supercomputer in an entirely different reality - and of course that may mean that computers are totally different also - Something like our
    computers that can only turn on and off bits and bytes are probably the most primitive form of computer in the universe.

By the same token, I think our ideas of religion are primitive ideas. Even science really has no direct knowledge of anything. We have to take everything on faith at some level, even what we might call "scientific fact". As you dig down into "fact", it is no longer fact, it becomes theory based on observation and assumptions. Religion goes one better than that - it starts out as observation and assumptions.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    We might all just be bits and bytes in a supercomputer in an entirely different reality - and of course that may mean that computers are totally different also - Something like our
    computers that can only turn on and off bits and bytes are probably the most primitive form of computer in the universe.

I would definitely call the above one of the strangest parts of a post I have ever read.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    JENNA!! STOP POSING AS TXCHARLIE!

(now back to your regularly scheduled thread)

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Yes Term! You will go to heaven.....if you wash behind your ears and say your prayers.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I think anyone who believes God cares who is fucking who or when is overconfident in their knowledge of God.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    JENNA!! STOP POSING AS TXCHARLIE!

(now back to your regularly scheduled thread)

Well said, TXCharlie. I have many of the same views, except I do think it is possible that there is one particular religion/denomination that has it right (I just don't know which it is), and if there is one that is right, I'd really want to know which it is. I hope it's Christianity, because Christian ethics are most similar to my own, and because Christianity seems to be the most optimistic about the nature of God and the afterlife. But my hopes can't affect reality one way or another.

So I don't know if heaven even exists or what the criteria are for entry, much less whether gays and lesbians will go there. But if the Bible is true, I hope the interpretation that is true is one in which at least some gays and lesbians will go to heaven. Even if the Bible is an accurate description of God and what God wants, it's hard to tell whether Biblical prohibitions of homosexual practices are actually about God's will or about conformity to the cultural norms of the places and times the Bible was written (or about God's will that people conform to the dominant norms of the society they live in, which are very different here and now than they were in Biblical places and times). Even if homosexual practices are considered sins by the Christian God (if the Christian God exists), they can't be worse than the many other sins that most people have commited, such as premarital and extramarital sex, idolatry, not honoring their parents, bearing false witness, coveting their neighbor's stuff and spouse, taking the Lord's name in vain, failing to observe the Sabbath, doubting whether God exists, etc. The New Testament says that people will be forgiven for such sins after they accept Christ's sacrifice, but it's unclear what happens if they keep sinning after accepting Christ's sacrifice (which most Christians do). Of course, since anything is possible, it is possible that the only people who go to heaven are those who have never sinned, in which case only those who die as infants would go to heaven. I hope that's not how it is, but who knows.

So anyway, the short answer is I don't know.

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    If I had to answer based on my religious up-bringing, I'd say ,"No". The Catholic Church wasn't big on gays.

Of course, since I'm not a practicing Catholic anymore, I can't say for sure what their stance is these days.

I do know that women don't wear hats to Mass anymore and that the altar boys don't recite in Latin (and they aren't just altar boys anymore either- now they have altar girls )
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    I think anyone who believes God cares who is fucking who or when is overconfident in their knowledge of God.
    +1

Not to mention, if you DO follow the Bible, we're not to judge. If someone asks for forgiveness for their sins and repents, regardless of who they're in bed with, then they're forgiven. No one is perfect and if you believe that being gay is a sin, then you can lump it in there with adultery and not honoring your father.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    On a more serious note: (Romans, beginning ch. 3:23)

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus. Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith. Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.
    In Paul's letter to Romans, he continues by citing the examples of Abraham and David, who were 'justified by faith'... and concluding these examples, he warns not to discount the law, but summarizes in the conclusion of this passage:

... Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, And whose sins are covered.
    Given such examples, one cannot but realize that salvation isn't gained by strict adherence to Mosaic law (in which lay the condemnation for hundreds of acts and omissions codified as 'sinful'), but only can be gained by faith in the provision (propitiation) for forgiveness of those sins by our Creator. For if obedience was the only righteous path, then all have fallen short of it and are indeed doomed. By this, we understand that by sheer definition of 'sin' and the nature of man since the fall, it can literally be defined as any conduct or thought which serves to distance us from God. Sexual immorality is certainly one prevalent means, be it homosexual or heterosexual. Continued and unrepentant sin, without mindfulness of the provision granted by our Heavenly Father do serve to breech our relationship with God, so truely speaking, the greedy, the lazy, the adulterous, the thieves, (and the list goes on and on) are in just as deep a risk of peril as any other... but for the forgiveness provided, such does not have to be certain damnation.

The one unpardonable sin given to us in scripture, is commitable only by those who have no fear of damnation, but live with impunity by utterly rejecting wholly God's provision of grace.

For God, its not about what we percieve as 'righteous' or 'sinful'; it is not what we consider to be 'fair' or inequitable. Do you think that upon reaching paradise, we could very well meet a murderer of our children? Certainly such is possible, I warn you. We, as humans unfortunately gauge everything by what we percieve as right or wrong; pardonable or unpardonable. I, for one, am thankful that such is not a determinate of salvation.

For those who stand with signs on a corner, screeching condemnations for a particular sinful act or nature, I can only respond:

So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. - John 8:7
    Well, you asked...

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

JSO85360 is offline Coming soon through a door near you!
    Verified LEO
    I don't believe your sexual preference will be a big determining factor, if there is a heaven. What about cheating on your spouse, not obeying all the rules, whether they are from some bible or state statutes? There are so many other things to consider. I think I've said it before, but at this point of my life, I'm just trying to do the right thing, as I see fit, so that if or when I have to stand before G'd, hopefully the good I've done will outweigh the bad. If there is a place that's better than some place else, I'd like to hope I can go there, but to tell you the truth, I think the time we spend on Earth (and even though everyone has that center of the universe complex) is what you are going to experience before you are just a history lesson. Leave the people you've known and met with good memories, and that's about the best you can do.
    The six o'clock rule
    I tell them to act according to the six o'clock rule, a phrase that causes most of them to say, "Huh?"
    I tell them to use this little test before they decide to do something. If they were to do what they're thinking about, and it became the lead story on the six o'clock news, would they be proud? Would their department be proud, and would their family be proud? It's a simple way to live your life both personally and professionally.

Bruce Thomason

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I should think that the big things in your life - like if you were a good person or a homicidal maniac - would be the determining factors in the status of a potential afterlife. The gender of who you love in relation to your own gender would have no bearing, but rather how you treat those you love would tip the scale.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    I should think that the big things in your life - like if you were a good person or a homicidal maniac - would be the determining factors in the status of a potential afterlife. The gender of who you love in relation to your own gender would have no bearing, but rather how you treat those you love would tip the scale.

+1
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    As A Christian, I don't think it's up to me to determine who does or doesn't go to heaven.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

bayern is online now Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Sure, who do you think puts up the RAINBOW" after it rains.

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    Sure, who do you think puts up the RAINBOW" after it rains.

That's hilarious.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    The answer to this all depends on what your religious beliefs are. The way I was raised (but don't subscribe to now), it doesn't matter if someone is gay on getting into heaven, but whether or not they repent for their sins or not.

But personally, I don't believe there is a heaven. So its kind of a moot point to me.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    I agree it's not for us to judge. However the bible states that being gay is a sin. It also states that if you accept Jesus, you will repent of your ways. You will be judged by your fruits, so if you are truly saved then you will not want to sin against God anymore. While we all will still sin of course, it should make you want to change your lifestyle, i.e. not be gay. I guess it would depend on the person whether or not that would be enough to make you straight.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Stealing is a sin. Lust is a sin. Lying is a sin, etc., etc. Being Gay is a sin. I don't think God see degrees of sin. We don't get into, or denied heaven because we've accumulated too many sin points!
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post

Sorry kids....but Christ himself said that "God notes even the fall of a sparrow". God does care about how you live your life....at least according to the guys who knew him best...Peter, Paul, James, Mark and John.

You can ask him when you get to stand before the big chair and answer a few questions...

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information