Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO

Senator Kennedy Dead

Ted Kennedy, Senate Lion and Liberal Champion, Dies - Political News - FOXNews.com

Sen. Edward Kennedy, the longtime, beloved lawmaker whose personal tragedies along with his professional triumphs and losses unfolded in the public eye, has died of brain cancer. He was 76.

The Massachusetts Democrat was seen by many as an American version of a Greek tragedy. Born into political royalty, Kennedy's triumphs were often overshadowed by those of his brothers, John and Bobby Kennedy. But nonetheless, the younger Kennedy carved his own political legacy as one of the longest serving senators in U.S. history.
    Click here for a timeline of Ted Kennedy's life.

The youngest of the nine-sibling Kennedy clan, Teddy had much of his path paved by famous older brothers and father. That created problems as well as opportunities for him.
    As a member of a roving family, Kennedy moved around a lot in his youth and made friends easily. He attended Harvard in 1951, playing on the freshman football team before he was caught cheating by having a friend take his Spanish language exam.

Kennedy was expelled and entered the Army, where he served in Paris during the Korean War. and after almost two years was re-admitted to Harvard for demonstrating good behavior.

He went on to get a law degree from the University of Virginia Law School and served as an assistant D.A in Suffolk County, Mass. He married Virginia Joan Bennett, who was introduced to him by his sister Jean. They had three children, the youngest was Patrick, who also would enter public office.

When John Kennedy was elected to the presidency in 1960, it appeared the Kennedy clan had the makings of a political dynasty. At the time, Robert Kennedy was attorney general and Teddy, as he was affectionately known, was elected to the Senate in 1962.
    But Kennedy soon found himself alone on the political stage after his brothers were killed by assassins in 1963 and 1968.

Shouldering the burden of a grieving family, Kennedy delivered Bobby's eulogy at New York's Saint Patrick's Cathedral in 1968, attributing to Robert a quote by Irish playwright George Bernard Shaw: "Some men see things as they are and say 'why.' I dream things that never were and say 'why not.'"

He added: "Those of us who loved him and who take him to his rest today pray that what he was to us, and what he wished for others will someday come to pass for all the world."
    But Kennedy's own aspirations for the White House were dashed in 1969 when his car plunged off a bridge on Chappaquiddick on Martha's Vineyard, killing Robert Kennedy campaign aide Mary Jo Kopechne. Kennedy swam to safety and only alerted authorities to the accident hours later.

As Kopechne's body was pulled from the dark sedan, the senator told investigators he panicked.

"That tragedy will live with me for the rest of my life...every day for the rest of my life," he said.

An investigation later absolved Kennedy of responsibility. He received two months suspended jail time for leaving the scene of an accident, but questions about his character would follow him and haunt his political ambitions for the nation's highest office.

Despite the Chappaquiddick incident, Kennedy decided to throw his hat into the 1980 presidential race, going up against incumbent Democrat Jimmy Carter. Kennedy lost his bid for the White House and returned to the Senate -- becoming the lion of the liberal left.

Like his first wife, Joan, Kennedy also struggled with alcohol, and through much of the 1980s was viewed as a playboy with a bottle. That image culminated with the arrest of his nephew, William Kennedy Smith, who was later acquitted on charges of raping a woman he met at a bar while out with his uncle. It also hurt his ability to fight the Supreme Court nomination of Clarence Thomas over allegations of harassment by former Thomas aide Anita Hill.

Kennedy credited his second wife Victoria Anne Reggie with turning him around and redirecting him back to his political career and liberal agenda.

Kennedy served as an ardent supporter for other Democrats seeking the presidency and endorsed Barack Obama early in his campaign -- comparing the Illinois senator with his late brother, John.

At times, it seemed Kennedy and his abundant energy would last for years. But last May, he suffered a seizure at his Cape Cod home and was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor.

Kennedy stayed active for as long as he could after his diagnosis, offering a key address in support of Obama during the Democratic National Convention in Denver in August 2008. He also attended Obama's presidential inauguration, where he had to be taken away in a stretcher.

Though he was absent from the Senate for much of President Obama's first year, his name was attached to health care legislation, penned a widely read op-ed in support of health care reform and was a critical vote on several piece of legislation.

Kennedy was too ill to attend his sister Eunice Kennedy Shriver's funeral or to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom bestowed upon him by President Obama, both in in August 2009.

FOX News' Molly Line contributed to this report.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Pretty sure he was 77
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Goodbye I guess, I really didn't like him at all though. RIP Mary Jo
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Regardless of his questionable personal life, he was the head of a, at one time, very powerful family that has gone through tremendous tragedy. Being originally from MA I was raised on hearing about the Kennedy's and how great the family was. My sincere sympathies to the Kennedy Clan.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    They are lowering the flag to half-mast at all the distilleries in Scotland. I wonder what he will say as he passes Mary Jo Kopeckne at the Pearly Gates? Oh, well, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. It is a sad time when ANYONE dies, but.................

So Fla Cop is offline Trunk Monkey Supporter
    Verified LEO
    It is about time !!!

The seven deadly sins are Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, envy and Pride. Our boy Ted was guilty of all of them, repeatedly and proudly. A cheating, drunken playboy millionaire who pretended to serve the interest of the American people, while fulfilling the legacy demanded from his Machiavellian father.

Ted served Ted first, last and in between. There wasn't a bottle he didn't drain, a young girl not taken advantage of, no time when his country wasn't in the wrong. Every American military action was something to be ashamed of, leading Ted to proclaim it a "morass" or the all important "quagmire". The ultimate limousine liberal who decided where YOU lived, where YOUR kids went to school, how much money would be taken from YOUR paycheck to assuage his liberal guilt.

All this while Ted sent his kids to private schools, lived in a gated compound and took advantage of every tax loophole available to rich men to hide their wealth from the taxman.

The bootlegger's son is now in the loving embrace of his family. Joe Sr. and the boys now have Gloria Swanson and MM on the rotisserie. Say hello to Beelzebub for the rest of the family Teddy!
    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    ^^^yep.

It's amazing what a name or a profession, like a professional athlete, singer, etc, will allow you to get away with in this world. His left-wing, confrontational views created nothing but contraversy his whole career. His true colors were shown his last days as he would not step down due to the fact he could not appoint a replacement.
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    Gotta agree with So Fla Cop.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants. Jeff Cooper'

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I hate that I got to this one late. I do not celebrate his death, but I do not mourn the man's passing either. The country is better off because of it. The man got away with at least Manslaughter, the cover up of that crime, and God knows what else. I refuse to celebrate his life. Hate me for it if you like, but the life that this man led should not be tolerated in a just world.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Well this didn't take too long:

Byrd: Rename health care bill for Kennedy - Ben Smith - POLITICO.com

August 26, 2009
    Categories:
    Healthcare
    Byrd: Rename health care bill for Kennedy

Ailing Senator Robert Byrd, one of only two to have served longer than Kennedy, suggests in an emotional statement renaming the pending health care legislation for the late Massachusetts Senator:
    In his honor and as a tribute to his commitment to his ideals, let us stop the shouting and name calling and have a civilized debate on health care reform which I hope, when legislation has been signed into law, will bear his name for his commitment to insuring the health of every American.
    Full statement after the jump.

Continue reading Byrd: Rename health care bill for Kennedy
    div#summary{display: none;}
    BYRD STATEMENT ON THE PASSING OF LONG-TIME

FRIEND AND COLLEAGUE SENATOR TED KENNEDY

Washington, DC – Senator Robert C. Byrd, D-W.Va., issued the following statement upon learning of the passing of his dear friend Senator Ted Kennedy:

“I had hoped and prayed that this day would never come. My heart and soul weeps at the lost of my best friend in the Senate, my beloved friend, Ted Kennedy.”

“Senator Kennedy and I both witnessed too many wars in our lives, and believed too strongly in the Constitution of the United States to allow us to go blindly into war. That is why we stood side by side in the Senate against the war in Iraq.”

“Neither years of age nor years of political combat, nor his illness, diminished the idealism and energy of this talented, imaginative, and intelligent man. And that is the kind of Senator Ted Kennedy was. Throughout his career, Senator Kennedy believed in a simple premise: that our society's greatness lies in its ability and willingness to provide for its less fortunate members. Whether striving to increase the minimum wage, ensuring that all children have medical insurance, or securing better access to higher education, Senator Kennedy always showed that he cares deeply for those whose needs exceed their political clout. Unbowed by personal setbacks or by the terrible sorrows that have fallen upon his family, his spirit continued to soar, and he continued to work as hard as ever to make his dreams a reality.”

“In his honor and as a tribute to his commitment to his ideals, let us stop the shouting and name calling and have a civilized debate on health care reform which I hope, when legislation has been signed into law, will bear his name for his commitment to insuring the health of every American.”

“God bless his wife Vicki, his family, and the institution that he served so ably, which will never be the same without his voice of eloquence and reason. And God bless you Ted. I love you and will miss you terribly.”

“In my autobiography I wrote that during a visit to West Virginia in 1968 to help dedicate the “Robert F. Kennedy Youth Center” in Morgantown, “Senator Kennedy’s voice quivered with emotion as he talked of his late brothers and their love for West Virginia. ‘These hills, these people, and this state have had a very special meaning for my family. Our lives have been tightly intertwined with yours.’”

“I am sure the people of the great state of West Virginia join me in expressing our heartfelt condolences to the Kennedy family at this moment of deep sorrow.”

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Well....the old Bastard is gone. Good riddance.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

JSO85360 is offline Coming soon through a door near you!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by snuffy2202 View Post
    Gotta agree with So Fla Cop.
    I'm sorry to say I do too. He was the worst of the bunch. JFK was a good man, even though he was just like the rest of MOST men. He was a lady's man, but at least he tried to do a good job for the country. Ted was just a scumbag all the way around. If it was up to him, we would be policing with megaphones. Anti everything we stand for. And he killed that girl and didn't have the balls to even try to save her. Just let her drown, and put the blame somewhere else.
    The six o'clock rule
    I tell them to act according to the six o'clock rule, a phrase that causes most of them to say, "Huh?"
    I tell them to use this little test before they decide to do something. If they were to do what they're thinking about, and it became the lead story on the six o'clock news, would they be proud? Would their department be proud, and would their family be proud? It's a simple way to live your life both personally and professionally.

Bruce Thomason

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Talking

Not sure if all of this is true, but I don't mind spreading gossip about a turd-bucket like him (from an email a friend sent me)::

The Last of The Kennedy Dynasty

As soon as his cancer was detected, there was an immediate attempt at the “canonization” of old Teddy Kennedy by the mainstream media. They are saying what a "great American" he is. I say, let's get a couple things clear & not twist the facts to change the real history.

1. He was caught cheating at Harvard when he attended it. He was expelled twice, once for cheating on a test, and once for paying a classmate to cheat for him.

2. While expelled, Kennedy enlisted in the Army, but mistakenly signed up for four years instead of two. Oops! The man can't count to four! His father, Joseph P. Kennedy, former U.S. Ambassador to England (a step up from bootlegging liquor into the US from Canada during prohibition), pulled the necessary strings to have his enlistment shortened to two years, and to ensure that he served in Europe, not Korea, where a war was raging. No preferential treatment for him! (like he charged that President Bush received).

3. Kennedy was assigned to Paris, never advanced beyond the rank of Private, and returned to Harvard upon being discharged. Imagine a per son of his "education" NEVER advancing past the rank of Private!

4. While attending law school at the University of Virginia, he was cited for reckless driving four times, including once when he was clocked driving 90 miles per hour in a residential neighborhood with his headlights off after dark. Yet his Virginia driver's license was never revoked. Coincidentally, he passed the bar exam in 1959. Amazing!

5. In 1964, he was seriously injured in a plane crash, and hospitalized for several months. Test results done by the hospital at the time he was admitted had shown he was legally intoxicated. The results of those tests remained a "state secret" until in the 1980's when the report was unsealed. Didn't hear about that from the un biased media, did we?

6. On July 19, 1969, Kennedy attended a party on Chappaquiddick Island in Massachusetts. At about 11:00 PM, he borrowed his chauffeur's keys to his Oldsmobile limousine, and offered to give a ride home to Mary Jo Kopechne, a campaign worker. Leaving the island via an unlit bridge with no guard rail, Kennedy steered the car off the bridge, flipped, and into Poucha Pond.

7. He swam to shore and walked back to the party, passing several houses and a fire station. Two friends then returned with him to the scene of the accident. According to their later testimony, they told him what he already knew - that he was required by law to immediately report the accident to the authorities.

Instead Kennedy made his way to his hotel, called his lawyer, and went to sleep. Kennedy called the police the next morning and by then the wreck had already been discovered. Before dying, Kopechne had scratched at the upholstered floor above her head in the upside-down car. The Kennedy family began "calling in favors", ensuring that any inquiry would be contained. Her corpse was whisked out-of-state to her family, before an autopsy could be conducted. Further details are uncertain, but after the accident Kennedy says he repeatedly dove under the water trying to rescue Kopechne and he didn't call police because he was in a state of shock.

It is widely assumed Kennedy was drunk, and he held off calling police in hopes that his family could fix the problem overnight. Since the accident, Kennedy's "political enemies" have referred to him as the distinguished Senator from Chappaquiddick. He pled guilty to leaving the scene of an accident, and was given a SUSPENDED SENTENCE OF TWO MONTHS.. Kopechne's family received a small payout from the Kennedy's insurance policy, and never sued. There was later an effort to have her body exhumed and autopsied, but her family successfully fought against this in court, and Kennedy's family paid their attorney's bills.. a "token of friendship"?

8. Kennedy has held his Senate seat for more than forty years, but considering his longevity, his accomplishments seem scant. He authored or argued for legislation that ensured a variety of civil rights, increased the minimum wage in 1981, made access to health care easier for the indigent, and funded Meals on Wheels for fixed-income seniors and is widely held as the "standard-bearer for liberalism". In his very first Senate roll, he was the floor manager for the bill that turned U.S. immigration policy upside down and opened the floodgate for immigrants from third world countries.

9. Since that time, he has been the prime instigator and author of every expansion of an increase in immigration, up to and including the latest attempt to grant amnesty to illegal aliens. Not to mentio n the pious grilling he gave the last two Supreme Court nominees, as if he was the standard bearer for the nation in matters of “what’s right”. What a pompous ass!

10. He is known around Washington as a public drunk, loud, boisterous and very disrespectful to ladies. JERK is a better description than "great American". “A blonde in every pond” is his motto.

Let's not allow the spin doctors make this jerk a hero -- how quickly the American public forgets what his real legacy is. Let’s keep this going for truth, justice and the American way!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Fuck him, and I hope he spends his time in hell trapped in a car underwater.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    I find it interesting that people will still fault a person after their death.

You know, there are many bad things he has done but he has also done many great things.

I feel for the family, I did not know the man so I do not have any feelings personally but, let him go in peace, we dont know all his demons, his contact with god, and we only speculate on everything else.
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoestring

You know, there are many bad things he has done but he has also done many great things.

I feel for the family, I did not know the man so I do not have any feelings personally but, let him go in peace, we dont know all his demons, his contact with god, and we only speculate on everything else.

I'm guessing this wasn't one of those great things...

On the night of July 18, 1969, Kennedy was on Martha's Vineyard's Chappaquiddick Island at a party for the "Boiler Room Girls", a group of young women who had worked on his brother Robert's presidential campaign the year before. Leaving the party, Kennedy was driving a 1967 Oldsmobile Delmont 88 with one of the women, 28-year-old Mary Jo Kopechne, as his passenger, when Kennedy drove off Dike Bridge into the Poucha Pond inlet. Kennedy escaped the overturned vehicle and swam to safety, but Kopechne died in the car. Kennedy left the scene and did not call authorities until after Kopechne's body was discovered the following day.
    On July 25, Kennedy pleaded guilty to leaving the scene of an accident and was given a sentence of two months in jail, suspended. That night, he gave a national broadcast in which he said, "I regard as indefensible the fact that I did not report the accident to the police immediately", but denied driving under the influence of alcohol and denied any immoral conduct between him and Kopechne.
    In January 1970, an inquest into Kopechne's death took place in Edgartown, Massachusetts. At the request of Kennedy's lawyers, the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court ordered the inquest be conducted in secret. The presiding judge, James A. Boyle, concluded that some aspects of Kennedy's story of that night were not true, and that "negligent driving appears to have contributed to the death of Mary Jo Kopechne." Doubts about the Chappaquiddick incident generated a large number of articles and books over the next several years.
    And I wonder why you find it interesting that some fault others after there death? Does Wacko Jacko get a free pass with you because he molested little boys and now he's dead? Tell that to the victims, and tell this to Mary Jo Kopechne.

The truth is, I hated his politics but didn't know him well personally. Wouldn't want to, likely. But some of what I do know isn't pretty.

So Fla Cop is offline Trunk Monkey Supporter
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoestring View Post

I would fault him before or after he is dead. The only difference is that he is now dead. He was the stereotypical hypocrite.
    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    If I hear "Liberal Lion" or "the Lion of the Senate" one more time I'm going to puke.

"Lying Lion" , "Liquored Lion" or "Liquored Lying " is more appropriate.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Look at the bright side, now Kennedy's qualified to vote in Chicago.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Look at the bright side, now Kennedy's qualified to vote in Chicago.

Or Louisiana.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information