Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Dirk is offline Banned

The Chicago Way: Key figure in Rod Blagojevich's federal corruption case just happened to die of an "aspirin overdose" today

A key figure in ousted Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich's federal corruption case died Saturday of an apparent "aspirin overdose," a law enforcement source told the Chicago Sun-Times.
    Christopher Kelly, 51, was Blagojevich's former chief fundraiser, and was described by the newspaper as "go-to" guy in the ex-governor's administration.
    His family found him early Saturday morning and was pronounced dead several hours later at Cook County's Stroger hospital, where he had arrived by ambulance, said spokesman Marcel Bright.
    An autopsy was to be performed.
    On Tuesday, Kelly admitted he paid $450,000 in kickbacks to an unnamed consultant who allegedly inflated cost estimates for repairs to hangars operated by American Airlines and United Air Lines at O'Hare International Airport. He was sentenced to nearly 5 years in prison.
    He admitted that bids on the projects were rigged to make certain that his BCI Commercial Roofing Inc. would land the contracts. In all, the contracts paid Kelly $8.5 million. His profit was $2.5 million, according to the plea agreement.
    Kelly was expected to report to federal prision Sept. 18, according to MyFOXChicago.
    Days after his guilty plea, he said he was being pressured by the federal prosecutors to cooperate in their Blagojevich corruption investigation, the Sun-Times reported.
    Kelly was indicted on three separate federal cases, including the one that alleges Blagojevich sought to sell or trade President Obama's former seat in the U.S. Senate.
    Kelly had pleaded not guilty in that case to charges that he plotted with Blagojevich even before his 2002 election to use the muscle of the governor's office as a moneymaking machine to squeeze payments out of those seeking state business.
    Blagojevich was in New York when he learned of Kelly's death.
    "I am deeply saddened to hear that Chris has died. My heart goes out to his wife Carmen, his three daughters Grace, Jacqueline and Claire and his entire family. They are in our prayers," Blagojevich said in a statement.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Aspirin overdose?!

I had a guy TRY to kill himself with aspirin when I was a rookie, and he didn't down enough to do more than make him sick...

Yeah... it's all a coincidence. Sure it is.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Dirk is offline Banned
    Blago did an interview on "Huckabee." He claims the gentleman who died would have been a witness to corroborate his innocence. I have to admit, he 'appears' to be guilty based on the media info we have, but there is something about this guy that I like.

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Where was Hillary and Bill that day?
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I have to admit, he 'appears' to be guilty based on the media info we have, but there is something about this guy that I like.
    Thats because he is telling the followers of the Messiah off.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Hmm. Yet another Ron Brown/Vince Foster kind of day.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 09-14-09, 08:55 AM

Thread Information