Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Climate Scientists Colluding?

Climate sceptics claim leaked emails are evidence of collusion among scientists | Environment | guardian.co.uk

Hundreds of private emails and documents allegedly exchanged between some of the world's leading climate scientists during the past 13 years have been stolen by hackers and leaked online, it emerged today.

The computer files were apparently accessed earlier this week from servers at the University of East Anglia's Climate Research Unit, a world-renowned centre focused on the study of natural and anthropogenic climate change.

Climate change sceptics who have studied the emails allege they provide "smoking gun" evidence that some of the climatologists colluded in manipulating data to support the widely held view that climate change is real, and is being largely caused by the actions of mankind.

The veracity of the emails has not been confirmed and the scientists involved have declined to comment on the story, which broke on a blog called The Air Vent.
    More in the original article.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Climate Change is a bunch of crap. I own a few full size gas guzzling pick ups. I also have cattle that cause holes in the ozone. Even with all this I still woke up this morning to 28 degrees in my bedroom in sunny CA
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    and the scientists involved have declined to comment on the story
    I wonder why.

Ahooga! Ahooga! Damage control! All stations report!
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

thanantos is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    Climate Change is a bunch of crap. I own a few full size gas guzzling pick ups. I also have cattle that cause holes in the ozone. Even with all this I still woke up this morning to 28 degrees in my bedroom in sunny CA
    What makes you say that? I think there is a lot of misunderstanding about this issue. The scientists who claim climate change is real don't actually say the earth will warm to a point that any one of us would actually feel the warming. They claim that only a few degrees of warming would cause a fundamental disruption in global weather patterns.

National Geographic did a pretty cool documentary called 6 degrees which takes you through how scientists feel the world will change with each degree of warming up to 6 which pretty much ends up remaking the world as we know it.

Funny how this issue (which is a pure science one) is so divided along religious and political boundaries. Although Gov. Palin did admit during the pres. campaign that she felt climate change was real. She just didn't think it was man made.
    The truth is you're the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men.
    But I'm tryin' Ringo.
    I'm tryin'...real hard...to be the shepherd.

DSAM-MI.org

Verified LEO
    lol, just funny but it appears the Iranian government agrees with you guys as well:

http://www.tehrantimes.com/index_View.asp?code=208569
    But I'm tryin' Ringo.

DSAM-MI.org

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by thanantos View Post
    What makes you say that? I think there is a lot of misunderstanding about this issue.
    Climate change is very real. It has been occurring since the birth of the planet. Cool down, have an ice age. Warm up, melt the ice age and make deserts. Over and over and over in cycles. There was a mini ice age that melted off on it's own just prior to the industrial revolution. There's evidence the Sahara desert was a vast jungle at one point.

In fact other planets and moons in our solar system are currently under going global warming as well. Climate change is very real.

But the difference between me and Al Gore is that I think the sun, and volcanoes, have more to do with our climate than sport utility vehicles.

I don't mind environmentalism for the sake of being good caretakers. The treaties like the Kyoto Protocol and other environmental legislation is less about the environment and more about destroying our economy. Otherwise they wouldn't exempt China and India (the largest producers of pollution on the planet.)

What's bunk in my mind is all the cries of carbon dioxide and man made global warming, which has become null the last few years anyway. That's why they've begun calling it climate change and not global warming, the warming is non existent. In fact, ice buildup at the poles has increased significantly as well. We're in no danger of melting away the ice caps and flooding Atlantic City.

I say Al Gore and his ilk are hypocritical fear mongers, more interested in ignoring science and wrecking our economy than saving the environment.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Look at the "experts". Lawyers, politicians, and media stars. Add that the political correct standards of "truth" and "proof" the leftist academic world advances. As in any totalitarian system, government - corporate - academic, independent thought is career suicide.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Verified LEO
    I'm not saying either way that I believe in global warming or not.

My only point in saying that is to point out that the argument, "It's not any warmer here so global warming must not exist." is false.

My other point is backed up by your posts sgtbear and xiphos. The issue of global warming/climate change is an issue of hard science yet people on both sides are listening to political pundits and/or celebrities and no one is listening to the scientists.
    But I'm tryin' Ringo.

DSAM-MI.org

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    LOL, they read a couple of the emails on Fox News - The author of the email was trying to figure out how they can explain a new cooling trend that they've noticed over the last few years.

The only solution anyone came up with apparently is to twiddle with the way they calculate averages, such as weighing the warmer years more heavily than the cool years, because the warm years were deemed "more significant"

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The issue of global warming/climate change is an issue of hard science yet people on both sides are listening to political pundits and/or celebrities and no one is listening to the scientists.
    And evidently the ones promoting global warming are colluding and getting their lies, uh I mean research, straight.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    And evidently the ones promoting global warming are colluding and getting their lies, uh I mean research, straight.
    Yeah, one small group of scientists who someone says they may have a piece of evidence that these scientists may have traded data means the whole thing is bunk.

Yeah, it's cold it my house too, and I heard on the news about a study that says that cops have the ability to pinpoint people's limbs during a deadly force scenario to avoid killing them.
    But I'm tryin' Ringo.

DSAM-MI.org

Verified LEO
    Actually that analogy should go something more like this:

"My favorite political pundit, Jesse Jackson (He's my favorite because he shares my political views), says that that cops should be able to target people's limbs to incapacitate them during a shootout and all my friends agree with him. In fact I even went on a website created by some local security guards that showed some statistics that also back that up. So that must be correct, right?"
    But I'm tryin' Ringo.

DSAM-MI.org

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I see this thread going in the same direction at the one here:

BREAKING: Hadley CRU hacked and files proving falsfied data on global warming release - SeatStaysUp.com - Beer, Babes, Cars, Guns, Sports, Games!

Thanantos, a better anaology would be a cop getting together with his shift mates and doctoring the eveidence show what they want it to. The hell if the actual hard data says otherwise. They need to accept the fact that they have been caught. Even the crooked politicians in my state are smart enough not to send emails about their illegal activities. See Larry Langford.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    I see this thread going in the same direction at the one here:

BREAKING: Hadley CRU hacked and files proving falsfied data on global warming release - SeatStaysUp.com - Beer, Babes, Cars, Guns, Sports, Games!

Thanantos, a better anaology would be a cop getting together with his shift mates and doctoring the eveidence show what they want it to. The hell if the actual hard data says otherwise. They need to accept the fact that they have been caught. Even the crooked politicians in my state are smart enough not to send emails about their illegal activities. See Larry Langford.
    I don't disagree with you at all Five-O, and I was never defending those scientists. I really don't care either way about them. I was just making a commentary about how we form our views about certain subjects.
    But I'm tryin' Ringo.

DSAM-MI.org

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I don't disagree with you at all Five-O, and I was never defending those scientists. I really don't care either way about them. I was just making a commentary about how we form our views about certain subjects.
    Yeah, no worries here. It just pisses me off specifically because of the Cap and Trade legislation. That and the fact the one of the surest ways to set me on fire is to lie. These jackasses are no different.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    That and the fact the one of the surest ways to set me on fire is to lie.
    Agreed, I think that is true of all cops. Sadly, when it comes to politics I've gotten used to it.
    But I'm tryin' Ringo.

DSAM-MI.org

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Yeah, one small group of scientists who someone says they may have a piece of evidence that these scientists may have traded data means the whole thing is bunk.
    A group of leading scientists manipulating date, and ignoring evidence while publishing papers in journals that everyone else uses.

The fact is that when there is an "established" way of thought in the academic community, there is no tolerance for anyone who may want to do contrary research. This stretches across all fields of discipline. If you dare to speak out against the establishment you won't get tenure or you'll be drummed out of your job and field. These guys may not have evil intentions but they know they have to tow the line if they want grants and funding (their livliehood.) They won't get published in journals and they won't keep their jobs. So they collude and make sure they're all on the same page to save their careers.

Fortunately there are brave souls out there doing research and showing that man made climate change is bunk.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    The fact is that when there is an "established" way of thought in the academic community, there is no tolerance for anyone who may want to do contrary research. This stretches across all fields of discipline. If you dare to speak out against the establishment you won't get tenure or you'll be drummed out of your job and field. These guys may not have evil intentions but they know they have to tow the line if they want grants and funding (their livliehood.) They won't get published in journals and they won't keep their jobs. So they collude and make sure they're all on the same page to save their careers.
    Of course I am no research scientist so my opinions of the "inside" of this industry would be ignorant, but this certainly seems contrary to the whole idea and ethics of science itself. What evidence do you have that this is the case?
    But I'm tryin' Ringo.

DSAM-MI.org

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Of course I am no research scientist so my opinions of the "inside" of this industry would be ignorant, but this certainly seems contrary to the whole idea and ethics of science itself. What evidence do you have that this is the case?
    It flies in the face of all scientific research, absolutely. There have been various articles I've read about people drummed out of their jobs because of contrary viewpoints. Should be easy enough to Google.

The leaked emails from the climate scientists even included a series of discussions about drumming out skeptics.

Ben Stein's movie Expelled also demonstrated the vitriol towards "non believers" of evolution.

It shouldn't matter what side of the argument someone has, diverse research and opinions should be welcomed, and challenged. But that's not how it works. Let's apply the scientific method to all sides and work on repeating all experiments. Nobody should be vested in a specific outcome. There's no objectivity anymore. Tow the line or end up tossed out.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Well, I don't think that their email was hacked. I think someone at that organization brought it to light. We shall see.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information