Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Short Barreled Rifle/Shotgun Legislation in AL

Looking for everyone's opinion on this email that I got this moring:

Law Enforcement Friends,

Unfortunately, the short barrel gun legislation received a favorable report in the House Judiciary Committee on Wednesday, January 20th. It is set for FINAL passage on the House Special Order Calendar for tomorrow (Tues, January 26th). The effect of this bill would be to make lawful the carrying and possession of short barreled shotguns and rifles. This bill could have major implications to the criminal element we deal with on a daily basis. These weapons have no legitimate sporting function and will only serve to endanger the lives of law enforcement. Please join with me and contact your House members to convey our concerns with this bill.

Thank you,

Randy Hillman
    Director
    Alabama District Attorneys Association

H 2 Repeal Crime Owning/Sell. Short-barrel Shotgun Rep. Oden

Synopsis
    Under existing law, a person how possesses, obtains, receives, sells, or uses a short-barreled rifle or a shotgun, except for peace officers, is guilty of a Class C felony.

This bill would repeal this law.

I am all for this bill PASSING. In order to legally own one of these weapons you would still have to get your tax stamp for the feds and undergo a very extensive background check courtesy of the ATF. I have never come across a short barrelled rifle or shotgun during my time as LEO. I have come across supressed weapons. When I did the owner had all the stamp info and ATF paperwork on his person. He also knew more about the different federal firearms licenses than I did.

Thoughts/Opinions? I posted this in the public area for the views from both sides of the public and LEOs.

Link to another weapons section for non-LEOs:
    http://www.seatstaysup.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25028

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

DIESEL326 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    After this law passes (hopefully today!!!), the next free $200 I happen to find in my pocket will go to Uncle Sam. The next $150 or so that I come across will go towards an 11.5" barrel. I don't feel one bit that this will make us any more vulnerable as LEO's. Most turds are smart enough to know weapons charges are Fed territory, and they know that Fed time is suck time. I don't see the bad guys of AL running out to saw off ten inches of their 243 so they can wield it easier.
    "Aim small, miss small."

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I wasn't aware weapons needed a legitimate sporting function.

Constitution fail Randy.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    They're criminals. They don't give a rodents posterior if the weapon theyre using in their crime is another crime.

I'll give you a legit non-sporting use. When clearing my home in the case of an intruder, a longer barrel on a weapon gives me away when clearing corners.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post

Constitution fail Randy.
    Super duper duper +1 (I guess I could've said +1,000,000,000, huh?)!!! Although I did hear a guy arguing the other day (in defense of no gun laws at all) that there isn't anything in the 2A limiting convicted felons from owning any kind of weapon, so that's unconstitutional as well. He was also a jerkoff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    A felon would have his 2nd Amendment Rights taken after DUE PROCESS. Big difference.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    A felon would have his 2nd Amendment Rights taken after DUE PROCESS. Big difference.
    Constitution win!
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Constitution win!
    I carry a copy in my patrol car for when people say I'm violating their Constitutional Rights. I grab it and tell them to tell me which one. So far....no winners.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    House Bill 2 was passed by the legislature on Tuesday. Although the bill did pass, Representatives Mac McCutcheon and Mike Ball were able to add an amendment to the bill which states that you must have a Federal permit to possess a short barreled shotgun.

The Alabama State FOP was opposed to this bill, however with the help of these two Representatives we were able to get the amendment added and protect the officers of Alabama from the threat of anyone possessing a short barreled shotgun without a permit.

The Alabama State FOP will continue to update you on this bill as well as others that can effect the Law Enforcement Officers of Alabama. If you have any concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are here for you.

Administrative Assistant
    Alabama State FOP

DIESEL326 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Here is the reply I sent to the State Lodge since they keep sending crap (that didn't necessarily originate with the FOP) out about this bill. I tried my best to politely cover all of the bases...

Hello,
    As the Vice- President of Lodge 41, I understand the basis of the FOP’s concerns about this bill, and our desire to protect the law enforcement community. However, possession of a short barreled rifle or shotgun without the proper license has been a Federal offense as long as I know of, and if convicted the offender would face a stiff Federal punishment and repealing our state law will not change that. If a person wishes to legally possess a SBR/ SBS, there is a $200 fee (tax stamp) and an extensive background check/ application process to go through with the ATF. Alabama would only become one of many states where citizens could (finally) legally own an SBR as long as they had followed the Federal procedures and guidelines to go about obtaining such a firearm. I personally along with all of coworkers and friends that I have talked to in LE combined have never come into contact with an illegally possessed short barreled rifle, and only a handful of illegal short barreled shotguns. And if memory serves correct those very few cases were pursued with the ATF, not with state statutes.

Please don’t take offense to my message as none is intended, but I must admit that I was somewhat angered when I read the original message from Randy Hillman that stated:

“This bill could have major implications to the criminal element we deal with on a daily basis. These weapons have no legitimate sporting function and will only serve to endanger the lives of law enforcement.”

I don’t know what Mr. Hillman’s association with the FOP is and I am 100% for taking measures to ensure the safety of myself and all other law enforcement officers, but I would love to see some statistics relative to LEO’s injured or killed by an SBR/ SBS to support the claims of sudden endangerment to LEO’s. I am not at all afraid that I must now worry about everyone I encounter having some ultra-lethal short barreled firearm under there coat. As I said earlier, I’ve never encountered one before and the passage of this bill hasn’t opened any kind of floodgates for the criminal element. I have also never seen in the 2nd Amendment where is stated that a firearm needs a “legitimate sporting purpose”, and I’m pretty sure that is not what our Founding Fathers had in mind when they guaranteed us that right.

Again, no offense to the FOP is meant by my writing, I understand forwarded messages, I just feel that the original message that I received was somewhat misleading, and the author possibly ill informed. I felt it is necessary to voice an opinion from the other side of this issue’s fence as I always try to refer back to the Constitution, not politics in considering matters such as these. I have also attached the message that I initially received. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

DIESEL
    "Aim small, miss small."

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    House Bill 2 was passed by the legislature on Tuesday. Although the bill did pass, Representatives Mac McCutcheon and Mike Ball were able to add an amendment to the bill which states that you must have a Federal permit to possess a short barreled shotgun.

Uh, since the federal law already requires a tax stamp, isn't that redundant?

There is no such thing as a "permit."
    I'm your huckleberry...

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Uh, since the federal law already requires a tax stamp, isn't that redundant?

There is no such thing as a "permit."
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sleepersilverado
    And the point of the ammendment was???

Remember it is not the "what" a politican does, but it is always "why" a politican does something. They did this so that they could represent themselves as pro law enforcement. Granted, I'm law enforcement and see it as them taking power from the individual in the form of rights and giving that power to the government. Albeit a state government.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac45
    Are they calling the tax stamp a "permit"?

That is the way I read it. Your federal tax stamp will double as your state permit to own and use a short barelled weapon.

Please click this link and read the post by Diesel326. It is a copy of an email that he sent to our State F.O.P. Lodge showing his displeasure with the action of the state lodge in this matter. Post number 10:
    http://officerresource.com/forums/f1...91/#post491582

It shows the disconnect between cops on the streets and police administrators.

From the discussion on SSU:
    Short Barreled Rifle/Shotgun Legislation in AL - Page 2 - SeatStaysUp.com - Beer, Babes, Cars, Guns, Sports, Games!

pharmer is offline Legal Dealer

Constitution fail Randy.
    I don't recall that mentioned in the Second Amendment either...
    From what I've read about it, this is one case where Alabama actually has a MORE RESTRICTIVE gun law than the fed...
    Then NRA likes it and so do I...

Thread Information