Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Health Savings Account

Anybody here have an HSA? For those who don't know, you have pretax income withheld from your paycheck for the purposes of health care. I get a debit card that is connected to my HSA account. I use that card to pay for medical expenses. You can spend it on co-pays, medical bills, prescription medication, and over the counter drugs like Advil or Tylenol.

I got this message about my HSA account:

As you may be aware, the President recently signed into law the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (the Act). While the broad scope of the Act has been well reported, we want to make sure that you are aware of the effect the law will have on your WageWorks health care account.

First, there is no change until January 1, 2011. However, beginning January 1, 2011, a doctor's prescription will be required in order for you to receive reimbursement of expenses incurred when purchasing certain commonly used over-the-counter (OTC) medicines like Claritin, Advil and Robitussin cough syrup. Because the new law requires a prescription for these types of items before we can reimburse you from your account, you will no longer be able to make these purchases using your Health Care Card (Card).

You will continue to be able to use your Card at pharmacies and stores for prescriptions, band-aids and other OTC medical items and at providers for office visits, copayments and eligible health care, vision and dental procedures and services.

We want to emphasize that the change will not take place until January 1, 2011. Until that date, you can still use your Card for all eligible OTC items without a doctor's prescription.

WageWorks is committed to helping you understand the changes, what they mean for your account and how they may affect your future health care expense planning. To that end, watch for additional communications to come.
    Thanks to the boondoggle health care bill, now I won't be able to use the HSA on over the counter stuff unless I go to the doctor and get a prescription. The $20 doctor co-pay completely rules out whatever pre-tax benefit I get buying a fucking bottle of Advil on the HSA.

Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

cajunguy is online now I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    We have a similar plan at my department.

You put in X dollars per month and it's available for you throughout the year to pay for doctor's visits, scripts, etc.

Great if your spending and your savings equal out.

BUT . . .

If you don't spend what you have put into it throughout the year, at year's end, YOU LOSE WHATEVER IS LEFT IN THE ACCOUNT!

WTF?

IT'S MY FREAKIN' MONEY!! And you're gonna take whatever is left over away from me? I don't THINK so!

Needless to say, there aren't many of our employees participating in the "plan".

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunguy View Post
    Needless to say, there aren't many of our employees participating in the "plan".
    Use it or lose it is common. We're careful to set an amount we know we'll spend. So far we've always maxed it out.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Never did it until the wife got pregnant. Used it for her pregnancy care, the birth, and his first few doctors visits. This year I opted out again. We've never really gone to the doctor enough to justify risking the loss. I only used it when I was sure I'd use it all.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Xiphos, that OTC nix is definitely a real shitter. We just had our semi-annual HR bried the other day, and this was one of the issues covered.

Other than that, seems like a good program to use when you KNOW you will have some medical bills coming up. I might use it next year for LASIK.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunguy View Post
    We have a similar plan at my department.

You put in X dollars per month and it's available for you throughout the year to pay for doctor's visits, scripts, etc.

Great if your spending and your savings equal out.

BUT . . .

If you don't spend what you have put into it throughout the year, at year's end, YOU LOSE WHATEVER IS LEFT IN THE ACCOUNT!

WTF?

IT'S MY FREAKIN' MONEY!! And you're gonna take whatever is left over away from me? I don't THINK so!

Same here. I usually spend it all though if for nothing else, contacts. I can always buy a couple of extra boxes at the end of the year and the account pays it.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Stand in line with everyone else, comrade.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    What a bunch of bullshit. I have an HSA too and haven't been informed of that yet. Good God this is fucking ridiculous.

And my HSA is saving my ass right now. My fiance needs new hearing aids ($5,000+) and I found out from HR that I can use my HSA to cover her hearing aids once we get married (next month).

I can cover them completely with my savings in there.

So....like I said, saving my ass.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    What a bunch of bullshit. I have an HSA too and haven't been informed of that yet. Good God this is fucking ridiculous.

And my HSA is saving my ass right now. My fiance needs new hearing aids ($5,000+) and I found out from HR that I can use my HSA to cover her hearing aids once we get married (next month).

I can cover them completely with my savings in there.

So....like I said, saving my ass.
    Off topic but check into your states systems. Here it is called Vocational Rehabilitation. They will pay for hearing aids if the person works and even remotely needs to hear in the job.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Buttercup is online now Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    Xiphos, that OTC nix is definitely a real shitter. We just had our semi-annual HR bried the other day, and this was one of the issues covered.

Other than that, seems like a good program to use when you KNOW you will have some medical bills coming up. I might use it next year for LASIK.
    My employer contributes the funds to our HSA, we get $3000 annually, use it or lose it. I used mine for LASIK a few years ago.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Change you can believe in
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Thread Information