Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Hmmm...

Sanford Airport to opt out of TSA screening

Sanford Airport to opt out of TSA screening - WDBO Local News on wdbo.com

The backlash continues over those new TSA screening measures, and now one Central Florida airport has decided to go with a private security screening firm.

Orlando Sanford International Airport has decided to opt out from TSA screening.

"All of our due diligence shows it's the way to go," said Larry Dale, the director of the Sanford Airport Authority. "You're going to get better service at a better price and more accountability and better customer service."

(rest at link)

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Good for them! Hopefully, MSP will follow suit.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Michelle is offline Civilian
    A kilt, you guys are so funny!

I say if you want to fly on a plane, then you have to follow the rules. They can scan me all they want. I've been told that there is more radiation from the plane than the scanner so I have no worries there. More worries if the the plane malfunctions.
    If my scanned pic gets leaked across the media then I might get my own personal plane and not have to worry about flying commercial again. ;-)

A kilt... !

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
    I say if you want to fly on a plane, then you have to follow the rules. !

So I guess you are good with this type of "security" being incorporated at trains, boats, and city subways?

Next step for body scanners could be trains, boats, metro - TheHill.com

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    So I guess you are good with this type of "security" being incorporated at trains, boats, and city subways?

Next step for body scanners could be trains, boats, metro - TheHill.com
    I might not like it, but I will do it. To me it's about the same as being stopped by LE at check points. It slows me down, waste my time, feel it's unnecessary, and I wish I didn't have to, but I do it for the sake and privilege.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I might not like it, but I will do it. To me it's about the same as being stopped by LE at check points. It slows me down, waste my time, feel it's unnecessary, and I wish I didn't have to, but I do it for the sake and privilege.
    It is actually nothing like LE at checkpoints. With us you are in public and the Constitution still applies. Even more so for some of our friends in the Pacific Northwest.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

I was relating to the inconvenience of the two.
    I think I understand what you mean about how it not being in public with the scanners, how it can be an attack on our Constitution in the name of security. But we don't have to fly, take a train or travel any where. It's not a right.
    Maybe I'm not getting it?

BTW...I just came by to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. Didn't mean to jump in out of nowhere and debate.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    No problem with the back and forth. It doesn't have to be an inconvenience but it is. And what kind of security are we getting exactly? How many terrorist have been stopped at a check point? Answer 0. We are reacting to them not the other way around. First guy with some c4 up where the sun don't shine is getting through. His buddy with the other components will set off the metal detector and get patted down. Guess where those components will be. There is a better way that actually looks for terrorists:

The Israelification Of Airports: High Security, Little*Bother - Home - Staple News

Now, pass the gravy.

Haven't read that link yet and will after this post.
    Not certain that it is 0. I'm sure it has discouraged. Discourages us, how much more for them?
    I'm still pretty annoyed with TSA though in not catching the idiot with the bomb in his pants. Sorry TSA, not smart and not thrilled how they handled other things.
    I sent the TSA an email some time ago about those new electronic cigs that people are taking on the planes and using. Not just because I don't want to breath the vapors on the plane, but the other safety concerns too. Their answer to me was to contact my airline.
    But yes, if a wacko can figure out a way, they will try it. Just like any criminal, right?
    And I have lots of suggestions for those internal bombs that I plan on relaying back for consideration. Though some a bit messy, they might work just fine.

Passing the gravy.

No problem with the back and forth. It doesn't have to be an inconvenience but it is. And what kind of security are we getting exactly? How many terrorist have been stopped at a check point? Answer 0. We are reacting to them not the other way around. First guy with some c4 up where the sun don't shine is getting through. His buddy with the other components will set off the metal detector and get patted down. Guess where those components will be. There is a better way that actually looks for terrorists:

The Israelification Of Airports: High Security, Little*Bother - Home - Staple News

Now, pass the gravy.

Great article!!! Israel has a point and they certainly know from experience. And you know it's not a secret to our government. So...kinda leaves us back to the rules of the fight club.
    I know some will still see the scanners and body searches as invading our freedom, but for now, I see it as protecting it.

Well, I'm off to go do some yoga.
    Plan on taking a flight in the near future and want to look good for my scan.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    A kilt, you guys are so funny!

I say if you want to fly on a plane, then you have to follow the rules. They can scan me all they want. I've been told that there is more radiation from the plane than the scanner so I have no worries there. More worries if the the plane malfunctions.
    If my scanned pic gets leaked across the media then I might get my own personal plane and not have to worry about flying commercial again. ;-)

A kilt... !
    Do you trust the same people that said "the pictures can't be saved" (but they can) and that they aren't clear enough/can't be transformed (but they can) when they say that the radiation level is safe?

Maybe I'm just a cynical cop... but till I feel like TSA is actually trustworthy, I'm kind of seriously reluctant to jump through their scanner. Maybe they'll let me carry a dosimeter to see the actual dosage?
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

I assumed they were saving them for a while.
    But I'm really not worried about it. I more concerned about how safe my plane is compared to who is checking out my body scan. I've seen those scans and personally, don't thrill me at all and think they are freaky. They do show quite a bit. No blur that I could see.
    Like this one:
    Airport security staff caught on camera body searching crying 3-year-old girl | Mail Online

I'm not thrilled with scanners and the radiation but I keep being told that there is more radiation flying on the plane than the scanner.
    After seeing the scanner pictures which look a whole lot better than the x-ray that my hospital can take, it still makes me wonder too.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It is actually nothing like LE at checkpoints. With us you are in public and the Constitution still applies. Even more so for some of our friends in the Pacific Northwest.
    Checkpoints are not constitutional in the State of Washington, correct.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I was relating to the inconvenience of the two.
    I think I understand what you mean about how it not being in public with the scanners, how it can be an attack on our Constitution in the name of security. But we don't have to fly, take a train or travel any where. It's not a right.
    Maybe I'm not getting it?

BTW...I just came by to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. Didn't mean to jump in out of nowhere and debate.
    Travel is a right in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by dadyswat View Post
    From my understanding, we have a right as long as our travels are consistent with the Secretary of Transportation's determination of what is safe.

I should have elaborated more before posting. After getting much needed sleep last night, I started to rethink my carefree attitude about the scanning and decided to opt out on it.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    From my understanding, we have a right as long as our travels are consistent with the Secretary of Transportation's determination of what is safe.

I should have elaborated more before posting. After getting much needed sleep last night, I started to rethink my carefree attitude about the scanning and decided to opt out on it.
    At what point in the history of the United States of America have our rights ever depended on the "determination" of a cabinet level officer in the executive branch?

That is simply fabricated and inconsistent with the constitution and case law.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    At what point in the history of the United States of America have our rights ever depended on the "determination" of a cabinet level officer in the executive branch?

That is simply fabricated and inconsistent with the constitution and case law.
    Indeed:

United States v. Guest 383 U.S. 745 (1966) is a United States Supreme Court opinion, authored by Justice Potter Stewart, in which the court extended the protection of the 14th Amendment to citizens who suffer rights deprivations at the hands of private conspiracies, where there is minimal state participation in the conspiracy. The Court also held that there is Constitutional right to travel from state to state.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dadyswat View Post
    Free and unrestricted travel between the States is a protected and constitutional right.

Some are making the argument that you don't have a right to fly.

This may be so.

However, airlines are a business - not a government agency. The issue becomes how far the government can't stick their nose into a contractual relationship between you and the guy who owns the plane.

Regulation is one thing where it achieves a public safety purpose. This system they are setting up does not accomplish what they say it does, and is more invasive than an intelligence based system that does do what they need it to do.

Principle would require that we accomplish the public safety purpose with the least intrusion.
    I'm your huckleberry...

I'm quoting someone on another forum who sounds like he might be a lawyer. I didn't link it because I wasn't sure if it would be allowed on here since it comes from another forum?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title 49, Section 40101, says, in relevant part:

(a) Economic Regulation. - In carrying out subpart II of this
    part and those provisions of subpart IV applicable in carrying out
    subpart II, the Secretary of Transportation shall consider the
    following matters, among others, as being in the public interest
    and consistent with public convenience and necessity:
    (1) assigning and maintaining safety as THE HIGHEST PRIORITY in
    air commerce. (Emphasis mine )

So, you have a right to travel, so long as you travel consistent with the Secretary of Transportation's determination of what is required for safety purposes (which authority is shared with other department heads, as noted in the statutes listed in the annotations to Section 40101).
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information