Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Republicans threaten to send State Patrol after Wisconsin state Senate democrats who fled the state and go into hiding to prevent Republicans from passing budget cuts and ending collective bargaining

Republicans in the Wisconsin state Senate looked poised to pass a hugely unpopular budget bill Thursday, but Democrats skipped town, "depriving Republicans of the three-fifths majority needed to pass the budget and its controversial anti-public union provisions." The Democratic senators staged a walkout earlier in the day, and Republican officials said State Patrol officers might be sent to round them up. But the lawmakers didn't just leave the building; they left the state and aren't telling anyone where they are. "I know the whereabouts of not a single Democratic senator," a Democratic spokesman told TPM. "I do not know what latitude they're on, or know what longitude they're on. I assume they're in this hemisphere." This is encouraging to the thousands of teachers, prison workers, and firefighters who have filled the Wisconsin Capitol in protest for the last several days
    More here: The most important news and commentary to read right now. - The Slatest - Slate Magazine

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Maybe they all skipped off to Argentina to be with their soul mates.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Sure. Half doesn't get us much, but if all the politicians ran away it'd be a great day!

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    Sure. Half doesn't get us much, but if all the politicians ran away it'd be a great day!
    Atleast they started with the worst half.

And btw, I agree with the WSJ on this one (scary). I agree with the budget cuts and the reduction in collective bargining, but he's going about it in the wrong way. A week from proposal to voting isn't enough time. Refusing to discuss it is wrong. If he wants support on this, he needs to do the legwork to let people know what it is actually going to do.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    All that there duck and run is going to accomplish is a delay of the inevitable.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    They sure picked a nice spot to stay in Illinois.

Tilted Kilt - The Best Looking Sports Pub You've Ever Seen - Home

The rest of the place don't look too shabby, either. Gotta wonder who is paying for this.

Rockford Hotels - Rockford Clock Tower Resort
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I approve of the Tilted Kilt.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    From what I understand, the unions had already had their chance to negotiate, and they flatly refused any concessions.

That's when the Governor decided to bypass the negotiation process, and submit the bill to outlaw collective bargaining because the unions didn't enter negotiations in good faith, and just used it as a delaying tactic.

As far as I'm concerned, they can scream like stuck pigs and can be "inspired by Egypt" all they want to, but their pensions and insurance systems are far above what the private sector gets - They're not getting any sympathy from me, if their union perks come first in priority, before the survival of their state.

The workers are being extremely selfish, because if they don't start contributing a lot more to their retirement and insurance, a lot of them will have to be laid off. It's very distasteful that they can't take a small 10% hit in exchange for saving a lot of their fellow worker's jobs.

But unions are like that: Workers with no seniority are almost sub-human, and the ones with seniority hold onto their loot like a greedy little kid. God, I hate unions.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I disagree with the "workers" or "labor" label. Unless you are a Marxist you are an employee, an associate, ect.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Thread Information