Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

What would Jesus cut?

A coalition of progressive Christian leaders has taken out a full-page ad that asks “What would Jesus cut?” in Monday’s edition of Politico, the opening salvo in what the leaders say will be a broader campaign to prevent cuts for the poor and international aid programs amid the budget battle raging in Washington.
    “They’re talking about cutting bed nets for malaria and leaving every piece of military spending untouched,” said the Rev. Jim Wallis, who leads the Christian group Sojourners, referring to Republican spending proposals for the rest of this year.
    “Are we saying that every piece of military equipment is more important than bed nets, children’s health and nutrition for low-income families?” said Wallis, whose group paid for Monday’s ad. “If so they should be ashamed of themselves.”
    The ad and the broader campaign are aimed mostly at a spending measure passed by the Republican-led House of Representatives that cuts $61 billion from current spending levels, including cuts to Head Start, the Women Infants and Children (WIC) program and international aid programs.
    But the leaders are also lobbying the Obama administration to forego proposed cuts to programs like college grants and heating assistance to low-income Americans in the 2012 federal budget.
    More here:
    New budget campaign asks 'What would Jesus cut?' – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

tweakerseeker is offline Hunter of Men
    Verified LEO

Angry

Military spending is a necessity. We have to be able to adequately defend our homeland and international interests. Just curious, how many bed nets are used in the United States? I am all for spending the tax money of the American taxpayer on things that benefit the American taxpayer. WIC, while a good program, is not just available to American citizens. Illegal immigrants have found loopholes that allow them to receive assistance. This has caused the cost of the program to go through the roof. Perhaps they are limiting the access of unqualified people, thereby lowering the cost and reducing the amount needing to be budgeted to this program. I certainly don't want to see ANY child go without food on American soil, but it pisses me off to no end to see someone whip out the WIC coupons to pay for breakfast and a platinum card to buy the beer and smokes. In a country as rich as the US, social welfare is absolutely necessary, but it needs to be much more tightly controlled.

And don't get me started on disability. In the last year I have seen a family member get denied disability benefits even though they were missing limbs, and I've met folks who told me they got it for high blood pressure, social anxiety, and ADHD! WTF!

I have to stop! I'm getting pissed off and my blood pressure is going up and I have to go to work...or do I?
    "There is no 'nice' way to arrest a potentially dangerous, combative suspect. The police are our bodyguards, our hired fists, batons and guns. We pay them to do the dirty work of protecting us, the work we're too afraid, too unskilled or too civilized to do ourselves. We expect them to keep the bad guys out of our businesses, cars and houses, out of our face. We want them to 'take care of the problem.' We just don't want to see how its done."
    - Charles H. Webb, Ph.d

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "tweakerseeker" on Officerresource.com

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    How about this. Let's cut all the touchy feely be nice programs, cut our taxes, and then let people themselves be responsible for their own lives. So if someone spends all their money on dope and can't eat. Tough shit.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

tweakerseeker is offline Hunter of Men
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    How about this. Let's cut all the touchy feely be nice programs, cut our taxes, and then let people themselves be responsible for their own lives. So if someone spends all their money on dope and can't eat. Tough shit.
    If I could throw you some rep on that I would! I quess I haven't built up enough of my own yet, though.
    "There is no 'nice' way to arrest a potentially dangerous, combative suspect. The police are our bodyguards, our hired fists, batons and guns. We pay them to do the dirty work of protecting us, the work we're too afraid, too unskilled or too civilized to do ourselves. We expect them to keep the bad guys out of our businesses, cars and houses, out of our face. We want them to 'take care of the problem.' We just don't want to see how its done."
    - Charles H. Webb, Ph.d

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "tweakerseeker" on Officerresource.com

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Jesus never commanded forced charity through government coercion. He called individuals to make sacrifices to help the poor. For most of our history, churches provided food banks, clothes, and medical care for the indigent. Funded by parishioners. That's the way it should be.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    There is no such thing as a progressive Christian.

That's like a Catholic Democrat.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    That's like a Catholic Democrat.
    Way too many of those. Of course they mainly ignore the Catholic part.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Way too many of those. Of course they mainly ignore the Catholic part.

You would have to ignore the Catholic part, it's implicit.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    Quote Originally Posted by tweakerseeker View Post
    If I could throw you some rep on that I would! I quess I haven't built up enough of my own yet, though.
    I got your back...
    Job security...

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

213th is offline Solipsist
    We are not a Theocratic society. If we were, then I could see a point.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Reagan said that we are the last best hope for the world. I believe that and if we want to continue to be the light of the world, we must insure that we survive as a people and as a country.

But Christ also said, "That which you do for the least of my brothers, you do also for me". Not much doubt about what he meant, is there? We have to find a way to prosper as a nation without losing our soul.....

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Early Reagan use of "last, best hope" : Interesting to apply this speech from nearing a half century ago to today.

Text of the speech if you prefer it : link

We've been talking about what to cut for that half century or more: are we going to do something about it?

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Jesus would have hopped a boat to a resort in Greece to avoid the vote.

I am all for making people that are physically able, do community service (40 hours/week) to earn an EBT card. That includes their dependent children that are eligible to work. They should also be required to do UA to be eligible.
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

Thread Information