On March 21, she walked out of the Davidian complex, one of 21 adults and 14 children who took the chance to leave over those weeks.
Three of her seven children were led out. Four kids stayed behind with their dad.
On April 19, in a Salvation Army shelter where female followers were kept, she saw it on the news: A great fire. It was so big.
"I said, 'Oh, please God, save them. Save them.' But my head knew they were gone."
Martin doesn't visit the pauper's field in Waco where they are buried. "I'm not going to roll around on the dirt crying," she says. "We don't do that."
Branch Davidians believe that when people die, they are simply "unconscious," waiting to be resurrected so they can travel to a kingdom cut off to nonbelievers.
Lisa, 13; Sheila,15; Anita,18; Wayne Jr., 20; and Wayne Sr. -- they are just unconscious. They are just waiting.
David Koresh told his followers years before the men in uniforms arrived that a great apocalyptic battle with Babylon was coming and there would be destruction and fire and deaths.
So, Martin says, David was right. "David is the messiah, and he's coming back," she explains, inspecting a bush that's beginning to produce sweet peppers.
"Now we just wait for the kingdom.
More here: 18 years after Waco, Davidians believe Koresh was God - CNN.com