Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Time Magazine Article

For those of you unaware this is the cover of the 10th Annual History Issue:

This is a long read ripping this to shreds that I thoroughly enjoyed reading.

Click the link for the full read:

http://patterico.com/2011/06/23/rich...nd-other-laws/

Seriously, this piece in Time Magazine is either utter bullsh-t, or he is literally incapable of reading and understanding the words of the Constitution and other related laws. I was so stunned to read this drivel in Time Magazine that I then looked up who the hell Richard Stengel is, and apparently he is their Managing Editor! And by the time you are done reading this post you will be stunned with the cluelessness on display.

So strap yourself in, weíre going to have an old fashioned fisking. And itís a long one, because this piece is one of the most clueless pieces I have ever read on the Constitution or the law generally.

It starts off with the usual liberal claptrap that if the founders were not perfect soothsayers about the future, that this meant that we should just ignore the Constitution:

Here are a few things the framers did not know about: World War II. DNA. Sexting. Airplanes. The atom. Television. Medicare. Collateralized debt obligations. The germ theory of disease. Miniskirts. The internal combustion engine. Computers. Antibiotics. Lady Gaga.

It is a facially ridiculous argument. Yes, for instance, the founders didnít know specifically that Adolf Hitler would rise to become the leader of Germany and plunge the world into war (a second time, no less) and murder millions of innocents (especially Jews). But they knew there was such a thing as war. And I find it odd that he asserts that the founders didnít know about the concept of collateral debt, given that Thomas Jefferson endlessly whined about his and indeed the majority of the slave-holding founders were in the same situation (but generally less whiney than Jefferson about the whole thing). And in fact the existence of the atom has been theorized since Greek times, and verified to a significant extent by chemists in the 17th and 18th centuries. If you are going to assert that the founders didnít know about certain things, maybe you should check to see whether they actually knew about them.

The aggressive stupidity continues:

What would the framers say about whether the drones over Libya constitute a violation of Article I, Section 8, which gives Congress the power to declare war? Well, since George Washington didnít even dream that man could fly, much less use a global-positioning satellite to aim a missile, itís hard to say what he would think.

So once again he is arguing that because the means of carrying out war has changed, that somehow we canít imagine what the founders thought. The founders didnít know about drones, but General Washington did know what war was and he knew that one nationís military attacking anotherís was war. The means by which we would kill each other today is probably wholly beyond his imagination, but so what? They didnít limit their language to the means of waging war available at the time.

He goes on:

What would the framers say about whether a tax on people who did not buy health insurance is an abuse of Congressís authority under the commerce clause? Well, since James Madison did not know what health insurance was and doctors back then still used leeches, itís difficult to know what he would say.

Well, I canít speak to what James Madison knew of insurance, but it did exist over twenty years before the American Revolution, (as well as many other forms of insurance) and contrary to his suggestion there was such a thing as health care in 1789. It was primitive by modern standards but there was some hope for recovery for the sick and the injured. And yet, we know what they considered commerce back then and it didnít include any form of health care or even insurance.

And then of course he has to play the race card:

And what would Thomas Jefferson, a man who owned slaves and is believed to have fathered children with at least one of them, think about a half-white, half-black American President born in Hawaii (a state that did not exist)? Again, hard to say.

Well, actually I am pretty sure that Jefferson would have been appalled. His statement that all men were created equal meant only that they were born with equal rights. He did not mean that they were all literally equal in abilities and Jefferson himself was quite convinced of the inferiority of black people. That is all ugly, yes, and disappointing, but itís the truth.

But we are not required to follow every preference of the founders, but only those actually enacted in the Constitution. The Constitution only puts a few restrictions on whom can be president and none of them reference the personís race. Indeed, the Constitution doesnít mention race at all until it is attacking racial discrimination in the Civil War Amendments.

The framers were not gods and were not infallible. Yes, they gave us, and the world, a blueprint for the protection of democratic freedoms ó freedom of speech, assembly, religionÖ

Thereís nothing wrong with that passage, but I want to note that when he talks about the original Constitution, he includes the Bill of Rights. Which is a perfectly reasonable approachóas I say, the Bill of Rights was ratified in the same constitutional breath as the original Constitutionóbut I want you to notice that. It will be significant later.

But then he has to again, ignorantly, play the race card.

but [the founders] also gave us the idea that a black person was three-fifths of a human being

Actually, no, the Constitution didnít say that and they did not think that. What the Constitution said was that a slave would be counted as three-fifths. And not every black person in America was a slave, even at the founding. And donít even get me started about how these half-literate commentators completely misunderstand the true outrage of the three-fifths clause. As I explained on my blog a while back:

It is always cited by people as proof that to the framers, a slave was 3/5 of a person. But ask yourself this: who was clamoring to count them as whole people for voting purposes? The South was. That should tell you all you need to know. The more persons who are counted in the census, the greater their power in the Congress. And the Southern Planters wanted to see their power increased by using the bodies of the slaves, without giving those slaves the right to vote. Then, in turn, they would use that increased power to block any measure to end or diminish slavery. So the slave would be used as tool to ensure the continuation of his or her own bondageÖ. [T]he outrage of the 3/5 clause isnít that slaves were not counted as whole persons; it was that they were counted at all.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The author is an idiot.

Beck has been talking up his response to this article, it's a book called "The Original Argument."

It is supposed to be part 2 to "Common Sense" which was excellent.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    The author is an idiot.

Beck has been talking up his response to this article, it's a book called "The Original Argument."

It is supposed to be part 2 to "Common Sense" which was excellent.
    I have been wanting to pickup "The Original Argument" I would prefer to get it in hardback though. Is it only being released in paperback right now?

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Not sure...
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    I have been wanting to pickup "The Original Argument" I would prefer to get it in hardback though. Is it only being released in paperback right now?
    Trade paperback, audiobook, and CD only at the moment. No word from the publisher or my distributor on when or if a potential hardcover is planned. Typically a hardcover edition is released first, so I wouldn't hold my breath.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    His usual statement is that he releases them that way so they can reach everyone.

He was giving away 1000 of them today to anyone who could tell him how they would spread the message.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Since we are on the subject, I have thought about buying some books for members here to share. The way we do it would be simple.

Buy a book.
    Print your screen name in the front cover.
    Read it.
    If it was worthy of sharing post that it is available.
    Send it, at your cost, to whomever asks for it.
    They do the same, and include a list of the past readers in the post that it is now available.

Right now my list of books to include in this are:
    The FairTax Book
    FairTax: The Truth, Answering the Critics
    Founding Brothers

Only books that relate to the Thunderdome Section and that the original reader could not put down need apply. We could do this for fiction as well I suppose. Only the best books will be shared because it will be worth it to the sender to pay for the mail. Cheap really. Personally you will only get hardbacks from me, because they will hold up better.

Thread Information