Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Debt limit talks breaks down; no deal reached as deadline draws near

Congressional leaders returned to the White House Saturday, meeting for less than an hour at the start of a last-gasp round of negotiations with President Barack Obama to avert a government default on the nation’s debt.
    The meeting was brief, starting at 11:09 and ending by 11:58, and there was no immediate sign that the parties had resolved their differences.

Obama and the leaders are expected to work through the weekend to strike a deal to raise the debt limit before the Aug. 2 deadline after talks on a large budget deal collapsed.
    “Leaders discussed the urgency of finding a path forward this weekend,” a Senate Democratic aide said, adding that Republican and Democratic staff would huddle over the next two days.
    Following a stunning breakdown in efforts to reach a $3 trillion, 10-year agreement to cut the deficit, the challenge for Obama and House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) will not just be devising a legislative strategy to push a debt limit increase through a resistant Congress, but repairing the bruised relationships that received a very public airing Friday.

Read more: Talks resume - briefly - at W.H. - Carrie Budoff Brown - POLITICO.com

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I notice the media keeps screaming at the GOP to compromise. Why isn't anyone asking the Democrats, who spent us into this mess the last couple years, to compromise?
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Well the House presented a plan that was called "not serious". The Senate Leader, Ried, did not even allow it to come up for a vote. If they wanted the Senate could have ammended the House bill, but they did not. Time for the Dems to present a plan instead of whining.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Exactly. This can easily be taken care of. Make cuts that matter.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Here's all I want.

President Obama, and all of the members of the Congress: Do the freakin' jobs you were elected for.

Drop the egos, drop the posturing for the next election and simply do your job.

I'm pretty much at the point of saying that NO incumbent should be reelected over the next several years. Clean house. In fact, if you have recall options -- use 'em.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Failure is an option because some at the Federal want it to happen to further their insidious agenda.

The hum you hear? Our founders revolving in their grave sites.

cajunguy is online now I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    A simple solution that I've tried to live by for years:
    "STOP FIXING THE BLAME. FIX THE PROBLEM!"

Has worked out pretty well for me.

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Thread Information