Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Most of AL Immigration Law Upheld

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2011/09/..._out_xxxx.html

Federal judge refuses to block most of Alabama immigration law (updated)

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- In the latest ruling, a Birmingham federal judge this afternoon again upheld most sections of Alabama's tough new immigration law.
    U.S. District Judge Sharon Lovelace Blackburn this afternoon ruled on a lawsuit filed by a coalition civil rights groups and individuals seeking to block the law.
    Blackburn did block the state from barring illegal immigrants from enrolling in public universities.
    In the lawsuit filed by the Hispanic Interest Coaltion of Alabama and others, Blackburn also stopped the state from enforcing two new traffic laws, which would have set up $500 fines for blocking traffic to hire workers on a street.
    But she let most other sections of the 72-page law take effect.
    Earlier today, in her ruling on the lawsuit filed by the U.S. Department of Justice, Blackburn refused to block a provision of the state law related to police stops and detentions of people suspected of being in the country illegally.

Similar laws in Arizona and Georgia had been blocked by other federal judges, but in her 115-page order, Blackburn disagreed with those rulings. She determined Congress has not prevented states from playing a role in immigration enforcement.
    She also declined to block sections requiring schools to check the citizenship status of children and sections that would nullify contracts knowingly entered into with unauthorized aliens.
    Blackburn refused to block a section making it a felony for "an alien not lawfully present in the United States" to apply for a license plate, driver's license, business license or other business license.
    Blackburn agreed with the Department of Justice on just four portions of its legal challenge. Blackburn ruled the state:

Can't stop an "unauthorized alien" from seeking work as an employee or independent contractor.

Can't prosecute those who assist unauthorized aliens. She blocked a large section that would make it against the law to conceal, harbor, transport or encourage an illegal alien to stay in Alabama. This includes portions of the law referring to landlords.

Can't stop businesses from deducting the wages they pay to unauthorized aliens from their state taxes.

Can't create a new protected class of workers. The new law would have allowed workers who were fired or not hired in favor of unauthorized aliens to sue employers for discrimination.

Beach Biker is offline Narcissistic Swinger
    Illegal immigration could be the most potentially explosive subject in America today. Pundit Chris Mathews believes that with unemployment at 9.2% politicians may grab the illegal immigration issue to give American voters something besides the economy to vent about.

In my opinion there are two important things to remember going into this topic. First, Illegal aliens are not a race, they are a law enforcement problem. While 81% of illegal aliens are from south of our border they have brown skin. I believe it is important to be specific about illegal aliens, not brown skinned people.

Secondly, we need to remember there are many Hispanic Americans that have fought and died for our nation. These are legal U. S. CITIZENS like the rest of us. They have assimilated to the American way of life, and should be treated with respect. Many Mexican American CITIZENS will distance themselves from illegal aliens. Some such as the Carillo family in Los Angeles trace their roots back 75 years before the Declaration of Independence!

My contribution to this subject comes from another forum. Here is a video outlining the country of Mexico's immigration laws. Please note they are far stricter than U. S. laws. This information should allow you to win almost any debate on the subject of illegal immigration.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Pundit is one thing you can call Chris Matthews.

I can think of others.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    Pundit is one thing you can call Chris Matthews.

I can think of others.
    I think Ed Schultz on MSNBC's Ed Show is pretty much on target. He is not afraid to call down President Obama, and does so frequently these days. He is a strong supporter of our collective bargaining issues. He was in Wisconsin and Ohio with his show to draw national attention to our issues. Most of all I enjoy his style. He is VERY passionate about what he thinks. He reminds me of an old line union FIRST Democrats. MSNBC jerked him off the air for a week last summer for calling a Republican pundit a prostitute! I like the spice!

What did you think about those Mexican Immigration Law video, I posted? I found it enlightening.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ed Shultz is a lying sack of horse squeeze. He has doctored audio to make his opponents fit his arguments:

The integrity of MSNBC and Ed Schultz | Nealz Nuze | www.boortz.com

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Ed Shultz is a lying sack of horse squeeze. He has doctored audio to make his opponents fit his arguments:

This.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Boortz is where it's at!!! I love that guy.

And it's unfortunate that any portion of the AL law was struck down.

But at least AL has some teeth now to fight and prevent illegal immigration.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post

Oh, come on they all do. I listen to Rush, and used to follow Glenn Beck. It is important to follow all aspects of current events. I must say I appreciate your attitude and expression. This is what I was hoping to find in Officer Resource.com.

One day maybe we can do a thread on the Council on Foreign Relations, (CFR) whose membership includes everyone from kings to television anchor persons. Some maintain that the Democratic and Republican Parties are mere puppets of the CFR. Wouldn't it be special to learn that there is no difference between Republicans and Democrats because there ARE NO Republicans or Democrats?

FYI, here is the CBS version of the Alabama Immigration Law taking effect yesterday. Looks like Alabama has more courage than Arizona or Georgia. President Obama has not checked in yet, but probably will. This is big.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7382877n&tag=mncol;lst;3

I found this story on CBS when I was digging out the last story on Alabama immigration. An interesting approach to the problem. To date I thought Missouri had the most effective approach. Missouri spent three years writing laws that keep illegals from getting any form of State wefare. Now, apparently, they have few illegals. It is going to be interesting to watch States go through this.

It will be especially interesting in New Mexico, a State with a very unusual history in the U. S. that is practically a province of Mexico. Republican Governor Suzanna Martinez, (a former DA from a county right on the border of Mexico), promised if elected to jerk 90,000 drivers licenses from Illegal Aliens. She has been unable to do so. A friend joked to me that New Mexico has two political parties - Republican, and the party of Mexico. New Mexico a dominently Democratic State crossed over big time to elect Martinez. Here in border States party lines on immigration are very blurred. It was Mexican-American CITIZENS who see their neighborhoods becoming slums with the influx of illegals that crossed to the Republican Party. It had little to do with Anglos. Yex, we have many legal Mexican-American CITIZENS, (which translates to both parents were U. S. CITIZENS at the time of the child's birth) who have ASSIMILATED to American life just as we of other immigrant heritage have.

As an aside, I had to include this link in this thread; Note this happened before the new immigration law was in effect. It should be interesting to follow. Immigration status snags bid for water service - CBS News

September 21, 2011 12:21 PM

Immigration status snags bid for water service

(AP) MONTGOMERY, Ala. After a Mexican immigrant's application for water and sewer service was denied earlier this month, the manager of an Alabama water and sewer board said the group was only trying to follow the state's strict new immigration law which hasn't yet taken effect.

The Montgomery, Ala., board previously required only a photo ID to obtain service, but changed its policy to comply with the new law. The Montgomery Advertiser reports the immigrant was asked for proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful status.

The board returned to its original policy after an attorney pointed out that the law has not gone into effect.

U.S. District Court Judge Sharon Blackburn last month temporarily blocked the law, while she considers challenges. The act forbids agencies from doing business with undocumented immigrants.

My brothers and sisters, I work in affluent Santa Monica, California,
    I am sworn to uphold the laws of the United States, and my community.
    You should be able to figure out where I stand on illegal immigration,
    it is called "law enforcement". Don't let my shorts fool you.

Thread Information