Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO

Racism in the System

A friend of mine posted this article on their Facebook: Legal Scholar: Jim Crow Still Exists in America?.

The article attempts to paint the Criminal Justice system as still-racist, particularly attacking the "War on Drugs". My intention is not to turn this into a War on Drugs discussion. Because even though my personal opinion is against the War on Drugs, it's really not logical to blame it on alleged racism. It's no secret that drugs are illegal, after all. No one is pulling these laws out of their behind.

And while one can't simply ignore the numbers that an inordinate amount of blacks are in jail or prison compared to whites, I think it's prudent to discuss it and not be afraid to ask, as police officers and civic-minded citizens, why?.

My opinion, based on my limited experience, has to do with culture. I don't like the term "black culture", because it's not fair to paint a race with a particular culture. Especially when in the area I work I see little difference between a black and white person that live in comparable living conditions. However the culture I refer to I like to call an "Urban" or "Hip-hop" culture. This is a culture that glamorizes a criminal mindset- and I think it's important to point out that while all races embrace this culture, an inordinate amount of young blacks do.

Now, one could argue- and could make a rather strong case for it- that this urban culture direct result of racism and oppression in America's not-too-distant past.

But in my opinion, why it's important to study and remember the past (lest we're doomed to repeat it), the time for the blame game and self-victimization is over. There needs to be a positive influence injected into this culture.

All too often we see it, regardless of race, a young man with an unstable home or apathetic parents. Looking for what he considers a "family". He finds it in this urban culture and one or two bad decisions later he's a convicted criminal. Even if he knew how to lead a stable life now it's an uphill battle and it's all too easy to fall back into his criminal ways. Rinse and repeat.

I don't claim to have all the answers, but I think blaming the criminal justice system for one person's poor decision making is like blaming the auto repair industry for when a car manufacturer makes a crappy car.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    We are in a "damned if you do-damned if you don't" situation. If we don't arrest minority criminals, we're accused of ignoring the problem. If we do arrest minority criminals, we're accused of racism.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

SinePari is offline Just humping the road
    Verified LEO
    Just glancing over this, first of all: who cares. If you're employed in LE, be happy to be employed. With that said look at several items of interest:

Source of the review: NPR. Right off the bat I couldn't read it without feeling an automatic bias of opinion and unsubstantiated babble.

What are Michelle Alexander's academic credentials? NPR, Huffington Post and PBS favorite go-to gal for all things dealing with racial inequities.

She points to Reagan as the catalyst for over-crowding, when in fact during the 1980s and 1990s California's 3-strike (felony) law and prison privatizations (for labor profit) had the unintended consequence of prison population growth.

I would submit to her that she should actually observe a court room in action, and not for Monday-morning arraignments, but actual motions and trials in Superior or Federal Court. Those are where the big fish are, yet I could count on one hand how many minorities with go-directly-to-jail cases I've seen in District Court for misdemeanors.
    Insert catchy phrase here

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The justice system here isn't racist at all. If you didn't out and out murder someone, on camera, with 100 witnesses and dump your DNA on the scene, confess, and can vote and/or have family that can vote you're golden. Race doesn't even come close.
    Can I get an amen or hallelujah from those is this area that know?
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    you can't have any political/sports/or be semi-famous (in anyone's eyes) either Lew

race?

what's race...
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Twan007 View Post
    race?

what's race...
    nascar?
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    The justice system here isn't racist at all. If you didn't out and out murder someone, on camera, with 100 witnesses and dump your DNA on the scene, confess, and can vote and/or have family that can vote you're golden. Race doesn't even come close.
    Can I get an amen or hallelujah from those is this area that know?

Amen , brother.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I'll probably catch some grief for this, but...

This is typical of the African-Americans blaming European-Americans for their problems. Does racism still exist? Damn right it does, on both sides, but I don't know one cop on our department that ;even if they are racist; purposely goes out trying to put blacks in jail. I don't know one cop that has let a white person go after they committed a crime just because they were white, so why should it be any different if the perpetrator is black?? I don't know of any instances where Narcotics has probable cause to arrest or get a search warrant for a white person's house and then decides not to because they are white. We hit the drug areas whether they are white or black neighborhoods, it doesn't matter.

As for the court system, the judges here equally do not put people in jail unless it is a major felony (murder, armed robbery, etc) that garners news attention. They slap blacks on the wrist the same as they do white offenders, so that's not the problem. The problem is that the black community refuses to accept responsibilty for their actions. Remember Michael Vick?? He was defended by Jackson and Sharpton who said that it is just the black culture to fight dogs to the death along with the other awful things that he did, and that Vick should not be held responsible for his actions. This was said instead of saying "You're a sorry piece of shit and you need to die for what you did to those dogs".

Blacks are not incarcerated more than whites because of their race, it is because they committ the higher end felonies like armed robbery more often. It is because blacks get pinched for selling drugs on the street corner more often than whites because white drug dealers generally do not stand on the corner in groups selling drugs-they usually sell out of their house or meet up somewhere. How many meth dealers stand on the street corner selling? Not many. But, a lot of black drug dealers (for reasons I have yet to understand) stand on the corner in a known drug area and sell drugs, which makes it like shooting fish in a barrel for cops, which is why the arrest rate for blacks who commit drug crimes is higher.

I don't know if it's the same everywhere because I have only seen how things are done here. I'm sure in NY and Seattle there are white drug dealers on the corners, but it seems that the majority on the corner are black.

This is not meant to sound racist, just realistic. I'm tired of hearing blacks blame all of their problems on white people because they did not get the job they wanted or they are on welfare and live in the projects. Programs are in place to give blacks every opportunity to succeed in this country and when they don't it's the white man's fault. It's not my fault that YOU didn't go to school and get an education. It's not my fault that YOU decided to sell drugs (which leads to bigger crimes), rob someone, or break into a house. YOU made that decision for yourself and when you get caught, deal with the consequences and stop bitching. If you don't want to go to jail, don't commit crimes. It's that simple.

White cops do not not stop someone because they are white. White cops do not not beat the crap out of someone who deserves it because they are white. We do not racially profile or commit "brutality", or lack thereof, because of the color of someone's skin.
    Last edited by McCrackhd; 01-20-12 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Additional comments
    YOUR ATTENTION, DO I F@#%ING HAVE IT?

I swear to Christ, if I survive this I'm gonna dance a jig!

RMFT-Bama fans get it

The views and opinions expressed on this site are not mine. They belong to my alter ego, Mathazar. Therefore, only Mathazar and his two brothers should be held responsible for the crap that is posted on this site under my name.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I'd like to hop in a time machine, kick LBJ in his low hanging nuts and see how events play out without The Great Society. A vast liberal program which, curiously enough, established the Corporation for Public Broadcasting along with all publicly funded high rise hellholes that became criminal training centers. See how things turn out without the government replacing the husband as the head of so many families. The worst event of racism has been in making it public policy to expect less of some based on the color of their skin.

Doesn't excuse anyone for their individual choices. What's that about falling apples and trees though?

How do the crime statistics break down if you only look at middle class suburbs?

Thread Information