Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I could care less who sleeps with who, never have cared.

Marriage is public policy. Change that, fine.

Stand up and suggest the public doesn't have a right to speak about public policy, and there is where we will differ.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    met·a·phor   [met-uh-fawr, -fer] Show IPA
    noun
    a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance, as in “A mighty fortress is our God.” Compare mixed metaphor, simile ( def. 1 ) .
    something used, or regarded as being used, to represent something else; emblem; symbol.
    I think Five-O handled this suggestion already, but I did want you to have the chance to respond....

Was that metaphor intended to be a parable, an allegory, or a catechresis?

I don't think that word means what you think it means, and the definition you posted proves it.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Definition of STRAW MAN

: a weak or imaginary opposition (as an argument or adversary) set up only to be easily confuted

: a person set up to serve as a cover for a usually questionable transaction
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    I think Five-O handled this suggestion already, but I did want you to have the chance to respond....

Was that metaphor intended to be a parable, an allegory, or a catechresis?

I don't think that word means what you think it means, and the definition you posted proves it.
    While you're looking up the different type of formal logical fallacies, check ad hominem.

I'm not going to answer your questions on purpose, as it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    While you're looking up the different type of formal logical fallacies, check ad hominem.

I'm not going to answer your questions on purpose, as it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
    I don't look them up Rhino, I've got them memorized.

Ad hominem, or "to the man" only works here if I had attempted to point out one of your negative characteristics.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaFuzz View Post
    It's not JUST asking the gov't for permission to be married. It's asking for the ability to file joint taxes with my spouse the same as you are already allowed to do so with your wife. It's asking for the ability to have my spouse make legal medical decisions and have visitation rights if I am incapacitated in the hospital the same as your wife can make such decisions and have visitation rights. It's asking for my spouse to be able to receive my death benefits/pension if I'm killed in the line of duty the same way your wife/family is allowed to get your death benefits/pension if you are killed in the line of duty. It's asking for all these things (and many more things) that you are allowed that I am not allowed. I agree that it's not the government's business who I am partnered with. However, it is the government's business to make sure I am allowed the same rights/privileges/responsibilities/etc. as you are allowed.
    this is a perfect example of why A) this is an important issue (as in, this isn't just about gay folks calling their partners "husband" or "wife" and wearing rings) and B) why this is a civil rights issue. If my wife has teh right to all the things above, then Fuzz's husband should too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Let's let it happen so that homosexuals can enjoy their constitutional right to be as miserable and dysfunctional as the rest of us!
    One of my gay friends said this too That he should also have the right to be miserable
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I think consenting adults are just that, and what they want to do with each other and their lives is just fine. I don't feel the need to defend my marriage just because one of my best friends can finally marry the guy he's been with for the last 20 years. It's Hollywood marriages that are the embarrassment, the ones that the divorce papers are filed before the marriage license has had a chance to be filed, or people who wake up married to a stranger in Vegas, not the gender of the people involved. I do think it's a horrible thing that the officer who was just killed in my town left behind the love of her life that she'd been with for 25 years and unable to marry due to the small minded assholes in the government in my state, and her WIDOW can't even collect survivor's benefits. She is grieving just as much as the widow of the officer that was killed in December. She is the one the flag on the casket was given to. She is the one who now has to figure out how, after a quarter century with the same person, how to live alone. And yet the state didn't even recognize her right to make decisions as next of kin. I find that beyond contemptible, it's revolting and should be criminal.

Sandy was an exemplary officer, good enough to give her life in service to the people of this city, of this state, but the state didn't think she was good enough to allow her to marry the wonderful person she loved the most in this world.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information