Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO

California Same-Sex Marriage Ban in Unconstitutional, Court Says

Story

Does anyone still really care what two consenting adults do in the privacy of their own bedroom? Why is this still an issue? Because the 3 idiots left in this country that want to ban gay marriage are the only ones that write Washington? I really don't think anyone cares anymore. Let's let it happen so that homosexuals can enjoy their constitutional right to be as miserable and dysfunctional as the rest of us!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    I'm glad to see the ruling. But I understand that by no means is this decision the final word. And until this decision is upheld in the SCOTUS, it's only in one state. If SCOTUS upholds it, though, then it would set a precedent for any laws in other states to be struck down once a case would rise to that level. And unfortunately, there will be more to this case than just the right and wrong of allowing us to get married. Other legal factors will play in as well, and those may end up being what keeps the SCOTUS from ruling in favor or marriage. But today is a good day!
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The government should have nothing to do with the commitment people make to each other. Get them out of the bedroom.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Marriage is a public contract, not a bedroom.

Everyone gets a say in public policy.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    Marriage is a public contract, not a bedroom.

Everyone gets a say in public policy.
    Slavery was the popular public policy at one time as well.

Doesn't mean it's right.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    What does this have to do with slavery?

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    What does this have to do with slavery?
    met·a·phor   [met-uh-fawr, -fer] Show IPA
    noun
    a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance, as in “A mighty fortress is our God.” Compare mixed metaphor, simile ( def. 1 ) .
    something used, or regarded as being used, to represent something else; emblem; symbol.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    met·a·phor   [met-uh-fawr, -fer] Show IPA
    noun
    a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance, as in “A mighty fortress is our God.” Compare mixed metaphor, simile ( def. 1 ) .
    something used, or regarded as being used, to represent something else; emblem; symbol.

Definition of STRAW MAN

: a weak or imaginary opposition (as an argument or adversary) set up only to be easily confuted

: a person set up to serve as a cover for a usually questionable transaction

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    all I know is that if gay dudes are allowed to gay marry each other, I will have no more free time because I will have to SAVE MY MARRIAGE FROM CRUMBLING APART (because gay marriage destroys the foundation of the institution and all).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    I have no problem if gays want to marry. Hell, the straight couples have been messing it up pretty good lately, let somebody else have a shot.

My problem is this, the majority voted and agreed to ban gay marriage. Aren't we supposed to be governed by majority rules? Why does the opinion of three people out-weigh the opinion of the public at large?

GunmetalGray is offline At the reloading bench...
    Verified LEO
    Take government permission to marry out of the equation, and the problem solves itself...

I think homosexuality is wrong as a practice, but I don't care what consenting adults do in their bedroom. I don't care who wants to call themselves married ( as if the term really means that much anymore ).

I don't want anyone telling me what I can or cannot do in my bedroom ( except my wife, of course ), so why should I want to tell other people what they may do in theirs?

Stop asking goverment permission to be married. It's not their business.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
    I have no problem if gays want to marry. Hell, the straight couples have been messing it up pretty good lately, let somebody else have a shot.

My problem is this, the majority voted and agreed to ban gay marriage. Aren't we supposed to be governed by majority rules? Why does the opinion of three people out-weigh the opinion of the public at large?
    Last I checked, we are still a Republic. "Majority rules" is democracy.

51% of voters is a majority. That can mean as many as 49% can disagree with "majority rules". Democracy doesn't work long as a system of government.

Verified LEO
    I would have preferred that the anti-marriage law in California would have been overturned by a new vote rather than by ruling. But, it becomes an issue of if people can/should be allowed to vote on issues of civil rights. Should it be allowed to have a state vote on whether or not to deny women the legal ability to vote? Should it be allowed to have a state vote on whether or not to make it legal to discriminate against non-whites in employment and housing? That's the core issue of if a court should overturn a vote of the people of the state. For some issues, the importance of maintaining or establishing civil rights supersedes the right of the people at large to vote to deny such rights. There is always a balance or fight for balance of individual rights vs. the rights of the people. Of course, some will argue that marriage is not a right but a privilege. But I think when so many governmental rules/regulations/benefits/etc. are attached to marriage, then it becomes an issue of rights, to be able to gain such benefits/abilities/responsibilities.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by GunmetalGray View Post
    Stop asking goverment permission to be married. It's not their business.
    It's not JUST asking the gov't for permission to be married. It's asking for the ability to file joint taxes with my spouse the same as you are already allowed to do so with your wife. It's asking for the ability to have my spouse make legal medical decisions and have visitation rights if I am incapacitated in the hospital the same as your wife can make such decisions and have visitation rights. It's asking for my spouse to be able to receive my death benefits/pension if I'm killed in the line of duty the same way your wife/family is allowed to get your death benefits/pension if you are killed in the line of duty. It's asking for all these things (and many more things) that you are allowed that I am not allowed. I agree that it's not the government's business who I am partnered with. However, it is the government's business to make sure I am allowed the same rights/privileges/responsibilities/etc. as you are allowed.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Verified LEO
    Don't even get me started on taxes...

Again, take the government "approval" of who is married and who is not out of the equation, and the problem will solve itself.

Government turns too many RIGHTS into "privileges". What you do with your property ( i.e. your body ) is your business. If you and your partner of choice decide to call yourselves married and present yourselves as such to the public at large, then that is your RIGHT. Marriage should be between two people and ( insert deity or lack thereof here ).

The medical issue can be solved with a power of attorney. The pension/insurance/benefit/etc... can be solved by reform, although I personally believe that if an insurance company chooses to serve or not serve a particular niche, then that is their business as a private company. The market is smart enough to sort out bigotry on its own.

As I said, I personally believe that homosexuality is wrong, and my homosexual friends/relatives know that. I don't let it affect my feelings toward the person. "Hate the sin, not the sinner.", and all that jazz. I refuse to believe that companies would turn down money from gay people when there is a profit to be made. I know that if I were a company or corporation, I'd be trying to make as much profit as I possibly could.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
    No, we are not a democracy, we are a republic. If the majority ruled, then the civil rights movement never would have happened. Blacks would still be segregated, or would have been segregated for a lot longer than they were.

To anyone that brings up the "homosexuality is not natural" argument, I present this:

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Is it a cartoon as to be geared to educating children? And Christian is the hard head? Okie dokie.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Is it a cartoon as to be geared to educating children? And Christian is the hard head? Okie dokie.

The cartoon is from a documentary. I believe the documentary is about same-sex marriage. I thought it was clearly spoofing those children's educational cartoons we watched as children.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I'm a straight, married to a woman, Christian Republican. With age has come the realization that everyone has their own life to live, and everyone has the riight to live that life with a partner of their choice.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Verified LEO
    Yeah, that cartoon isn't the best. I think that theory about each successive son having a higher chance of being gay because the mom more feminizes the baby is just as stupid as anything else the cartoon is trying to make fun of. That just furthers stereotypes that gay male=more feminine male.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information