Welcome to the APBWeb.
    locust is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO

Armed security in church

Recently, my pastor came to me wanting to discuss the possibility of me attending church armed. His reasoning is that since I'm LEO, he would like to have someone trained that could stop a threat, if that ever arose. I told him I would research some ideas and get back with him. There are several other LEO's that attend the same church as I do, and I'm thinking about approaching the pastor about the possibility of forming a security team. I was wondering if any of the LEO's on here attend a place of worship that has a security team, and if so, are they a part of it. I've been doing some searching and have found a few good ideas, but wanted some more input from the group here too.

vela8088 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    I too was approached by my pastor about adding an armed security officer to the church. I didn't feel right doing it since I like attending church with my family but did find someone that could do it and they have been doing a great job. I play the bass guitar with the worship team and am armed and ready when I'm up on stage. Only a few people know that I'm a cop. I don't throw it out much, which is something I like. Our security team is one officer, who sits out in the parking lot with a radio and if needed, can come in right away.

locust is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    we have a rotating schedule for parking security during services now, not so much for an emergency situation, but more to keep people's vehicles from being broken into. Basically we have a couple of members ride around in a golf cart during services shooting the bull...

That Guy is offline No one in particular
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I have attended church armed for as long as I can remember. Then again when I worked at a bank before LE I was armed too. If found out I would have been terminated, but it was for the robbery gone bad shooting hostages situation. In your case I would conceal and not advertise.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I would conceal and not advertise.
    That's what I do.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    That's what I do.
    Me too. I'm often serving as an usher, and the sacristans and other ushers know I'm a cop. While I've not needed a gun and have avoided an outright show of authority -- I've had one or two situations where I did have to step in and steer an outcome, so to speak. Usually they've been folks who were a bit mental... In a few other cases, it's been first aid type stuff until someone better qualified could take over. (Usually just heat issues... Had an altar server collapse earlier this summer, for example.)
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Thread Information