Attorney General Pam Bondi persuaded Gov. Rick Scott to postpone an execution scheduled for tonight because it conflicted with her re-election kick-off reception.
Scott said Monday that he did not know the reason for the request, and he declined to answer when asked whether he considers a campaign fundraiser an appropriate reason to reschedule an execution."When another Cabinet officer asks for something, we try to work with them," Scott said.On Monday, Bondi responded to questions with a statement saying she had made a mistake."As a prosecutor, there was nothing more important than seeing justice done, especially when it came to the unconscionable act of murder. I personally put two people on death row and, as Attorney General, have already participated in eight executions since I took office, a role I take very seriously," Bondi said."The planned execution of Marshall Lee Gore had already been stayed twice by the courts, and we absolutely should not have requested that the date of the execution be moved," said Bondi, who has long championed victims' rights.
The delay keeps Gore on death row an extra 21 days at a cost that the Department of Corrections estimates at about $1,000.
Execution rescheduled to accommodate Pam Bondi fundraiser | Tampa Bay Times